Found '69 Nissan patrol - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 127789
Found '69 Nissan patrol

Just giving you Nissan guys a heads up, found this old gem in Topeka, KS for sale at a pawn shop. Needs a lot of work but it runs and it's all original. I'm not sure what patrols are worth, guy wants $2500. Guy has a title and doesn't have a clue about it other than it runs.

Integrity Gun and Pawn
1949 SW gage blvd
Topeka, Kansas 66604
785-215-8970

Last edited by robi615; 04-22-2016 at 05:37 PM.
robi615 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 127789
Pic
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Nice

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
I'm a little rusty, but I don't believe that is a '69...or a US model.

The three wiper arms is throwing me off. As far as I know, the US import models did not come like that.

The front turn signals are way off...looks like the holes for the originals were patched and painted. Hard to tell if it's a "true" '69 or not because of that. If I saw the interior, I'd tell for sure.

'69 was the first year for the square turn signals...and also the last year they were sold in the US. I have one that's stamped as a '69 but was actually a left over '68 that was sold as a '69. The vin plates would come blank and the dealers stamped them with the year when they were sold.

This is what a "true" '69 looks like:

This is an earlier one. (notice the round turn signals)

The grille is also funky on that one. I'm leaning toward a South American import. Either way, $2500 is high for that condition. Maybe $1-1.5k tops.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 127789
Im not a Nissan guy, I know more about samurais and jeeps. Just giving the Nissan group a heads up on something I came across in case someone smart has interest. I don't have a clue about this thing other than what I was told and what I saw.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 503194
Would be so cool to see someone take it and build it with wider axles
Old 04-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
El Conquistador

Member # 208306

I had four of those things, one was a factory soft top, one was my dd, only thing I have left is a T-case, it's a heavy ass all gear bastard, me and a buddy were carrying it through two feet of snow once, it was all we could do while laughing !

Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
A Friend of mine has two nissan patrols and A BUNCH of NOS Parts and Used parts as well as all the Service manuals, Both are for sale together If anyone's interested. You can Pm me.

dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26705
Reviving this thread from the dead. I ran across this Patrol for sale on my way out to Colorado and Moab. I bought it and put in on the trailer and drove my crawler home to Virginia. Let the fun begin.

PaulC

deadlew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 503194
That's so cool!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26705
Here's the full story on how it got back to Virginia.

I was heading out west to do some wheeling in Colorado and Utah, meanwhile I was checking Craigslist for trucks (Willys, Land Cruiser, Scout, and so on). While in Topeka, Kansas I put in Nissan Patrol and this Patrol showed up.

So I called the guy, he was 5 minutes away from where we were and we decided to stop and check it out. Saw it and I had to have it. I told the guy I would be back in 2 weeks to pick it up. I had to figure a way to get it home. My 40 was on a 32' trailer it could make it home to Virginia, but with 4.88 gears it would have taken forever. I called a friend to ask it he would dig out a 4.10 3rd member he said no problem. Called up another friend and asked if he would ship the 3rd member out to where the Patrol was in Kansas, he said no problem.

For the next two weeks hitting trails in Colorado and Utah, I have to keep reminding myself I had to drive my 40 home, to prevent myself from doing something really stupid. The last day of trails, China Man Gulch in Colorado, I broke a rear axle shaft. Not a real problem I have extras and I'll change it out when I swap the diff out. Next day we load up and roll out headed to Kansas.

We arrived where the Patrol was. Looked it over and I bought it, a little rougher than I thought but it is only sheet metal work. We loaded it on the trailer, put the crate with the diff in the pickup and headed over to Advanced Auto to get gear oil and change the diff and axle shaft out.

As my friend and I are pulling the rear 3rd out of my 40, I start opening the crate for the 4.10 3rd, this is what I found:

My friend was thoughtful enough to paint the 3rd for me. We finished up and drove to Boonsville, Missouri. The next day was going to be a long drive in my coil/linked, 37's, anti-rock rear sway equipped 40.

Got up early and headed out. No major problems happened on the drive. Just the valve covers loosened up and started leaking oil. Made it in 15 hours. That's the story. Thanks for reading.

PaulC

Last edited by deadlew; 08-12-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 136066
Awesome.

So it had been purchased from the pawn shop? Or did they still have it over a year later. did you find this thread before or after you bought it?
BHertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Post some more interior/engine pics and a pic of the VIN plate if you can. There's some weird shit going on with that thing and I'm curious what it's history is. I'm 90% sure it's not originally a US model. Probably south american.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 127789
Nice, glad to see someone picked it up. As I said before, I'm not a Nissan enthusiast but I figured someone might be interested. I'm curious to see how this old gem comes along, please keep everyone updated.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26705
Interior shot that I took real quick.

VIN plate on the door jam.

I purchased from a person that works at the pawn shop, not from the pawn shop.

I did a search on Nissan Patrol Buggy on google and that is how this tread came up. Also the other Patrol buggy build up came up, the white one with red cage, I love that build.

I hope to keep it simple. Fix the body and frame rust. Swap in a H233B narrowed on one side rear axle with 4.9 gears, and swap in a hybrid H233B/Toyota knuckle balls and out front axle with 4.9 gears so I can have better brakes, options and available parts. Then go from there.

PaulC
Old 08-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26705

Found me some rusty Nissan gold today. 4.9 gears and 33 spline shafts. Prior owner had just put new brakes and wheel cylinders in it too. Score.

PaulC
Old 08-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
That's a USA vin tag. My '69 is actually a '68 that was badged as a '69 (pretty common), but it and the older one's I've seen have the VIN tag under the hood on the firewall. It could be that the true '69 is on the door jamb like that.

The 3 wipers are what baffle me. I swear that was only done on later models in Australia and maybe South America. Those models also had the different front grill with the big "Nissan" text vs. the chrome bar and "Nissan" emblem on the hood like the US models. Your grille is also a little unusual. Hard to tell if that's original or a home-fab'd thing.

This is a late 70's model that has the 3 wipers like yours:
Old 08-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26705

Here is a picture of the current grill and hood. Like the the mesh part was made and installed to run in cold weather, being that the truck is from Iowa.

Here is a picture of a grill that was included with the truck. Same paint scheme.

PaulC
Old 08-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
The 3 wipers are what baffle me. I swear that was only done on later models in Australia and maybe South America.
This is a late 70's model that has the 3 wipers like yours:
I'm not a Nissan Patrol guru, but it looks like the windshield frame with 3 wipers could easily be swapped onto an older Patrol? Perhaps the original 2 wiper frame got damaged and a previous owner found a later model 3 wiper windshield frame and swapped in on. I mean, a lot can happen in 50 years to a not-that-common-in-the-US-4WD.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 08-26-2017 at 09:43 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
I'm not a Nissan Patrol guru, but it looks like the windshield frame with 3 wipers could easily be swapped onto an older Patrol? Perhaps the original 2 wiper frame got damaged and a previous owner found a later model 3 wiper windshield frame and swapped in on. I mean, a lot can happen in 50 years to a not-that-common-in-the-US-4WD.
Right. But as far as I know, we never got 3-wiper models in the US. The only change to the wipers that I'm aware of was in '69 they went to linked arms off a single motor - like wipers on current cars. Prior to that you had two separate wiper motors - very early models you had to turn each one on independently, slightly later models had a dash switch that turned on both motors. It's not hard for them to get out of sync and crash.

Only thing I can think is that windshield frame came from another country.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
My '65 Scout is the same way, 2 separate wiper motors, but they are far enough apart not to crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
Only thing I can think is that windshield frame came from another country.
That's what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in