Boardbysled's Budget Buggy Build - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
looking awesome, love the fact that this is off the beaten path for builds.
Thanks!

Not sure why Nissan 4wd trucks/SUV's never took off for being popular to heavily modified, they really aren't that bad of platforms. Good thing about it though is they are about 1/10th the price of Toyotas to buy now.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Been working slowly on this thing. Recent focus has been on the motor. This rig had several oil leaks and these Nissan's need the timing belt changed semi-regularly and judging by the lack of maintenance, I knew it probably needed done. So I tore down the front of the motor and changed the water pump, timing belt, cam seals (which were leaking), thermostat and water neck, as well as a rubber coolant hose that had a crack and was leaking.

Got that all back together.

Took the valve covers and upper intake off. Valve covers were leaking oil badly. Deleted a bunch of the emissions vacuum lines and intake heater water lines to make things a lot simpler. Also plugged the PCV valve (which was plugged and not functioning anyways) and will vent to a catch can.

Last edited by boardbysled; 11-11-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Engine is back together with a full fresh tune-up. Plugs looked like they hadn't been changed in 100k miles, cap and rotor were also plum wore out. Gave the valve-covers a fresh paint job that is a little sneak peak into what will be one of the primary colors of the whole rig.

Last edited by boardbysled; 11-11-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 193971
Wow thatís some clean tube! I bet that welds up real nice, sweet build.
ECORS Toyota #779
pitbullcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullcruiser View Post
Wow that’s some clean tube! I bet that welds up real nice, sweet build.
Thanks! Definitely not a whole lot of mill scale to cleanup.

Last edited by boardbysled; 11-12-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Eyeballing some storage in the rear. Picked up a 40mm ammo can and will probably add a 'tall' 50 can as well.

Made up a mount for the 40mm can with a sweet latch. I know this isn't really progressing the rig towards being finished, but I find fabrication stuff like this fun.

Also modded my OG Artec quart crate that is probably 10 years old with another one of the latches and mocked it up on the rig.

Had to clean the threads up on the chinaspec steering cooler.

Added gussets where the B-pillar meets the roofline bar.

That's pretty much it. Now that the holidays are over, I should start making a bunch more progress.

Last edited by boardbysled; 01-08-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:29 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 83301
man that thing is looking sweet. One of the better looking firewall buggies I have seen .
Old 01-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
man that thing is looking sweet. One of the better looking firewall buggies I have seen .
Appreciate it! I am really enjoying how it is coming along for never having built a rig like this before.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 843361
awesome build keep up the work. following to learn a thing or 2.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 136471
More work.

I try and update my instagram pretty frequently if you want to follow along.

https://www.instagram.com/jacob.l.vail/

Started on the passenger side header, had to shorten it quite a bit to fit around the upper link, essentially made the 'longtubes' into 'midtubes'. Still needs finished and welded. Driverside will need shortened as well to fit around the driveshaft.

Started stripping stuff off the rear of the chassis for final welding.

Took the fuel cell apart to put the fuel pickups in. The inside of the steel shell is unpainted and shitty expanding foam in the bottom. So added some paint and slightly enlarged the drain holes to hopefully limit the amount of rust. Will add some foam strips back in when I put it back together.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Got a bulkhead 6 an fitting mounted to the fuel cell for the pickups. Waiting on 1 more Walbro pickup to finish the pickup system inside the fuel cell.

Got the rear housing pulled out and started prepping it for welding. 12 ton bottle jack and a chain to preload the housing and welding it out slow to hopefully prevent any warpage.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #62 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
How much time do you spend cleaning everything for working on it? Everything, expect the rusty ass oil storage , is unbelievably clean. Hats off for the eye for detail. Probably the only time I've really seen a Nissan and wanted one
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
How much time do you spend cleaning everything for working on it? Everything, expect the rusty ass oil storage , is unbelievably clean. Hats off for the eye for detail. Probably the only time I've really seen a Nissan and wanted one
Thanks!

Not a whole lot amazingly. The tube is all just as is from the supplier. And the area I live in is wet, 70"+ of rain a year. I do plan on prepping it real well before welding it out.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Welded out and painted the rear axle housing this weekend. Took about 6 hours of welding and about 4 lbs of wire. Welded on a tie down tab. Getting warmed back up with my welding skill. Been a few years since I have done very much. Ran out of Blue Demon Wire and switched to some Lincoln wire and got a whole lot less spatter and cleaner beads.

Welded out, primed, and painted.

And some backwards progress. Had to pull the B-pillar on the passenger side so I could fully weld the roofline bar. The driverside roofline bar is all 1 piece. The passenger I messed up one of my offsets, so I had to cut and sleeve it to the proper angle.

Hope to get the rear part of the chassis welded out next. Then I will work on the front part of the chassis and front axle.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 136471
I had one of my 2.5" FOA bumps start leaking some oil. Put a little pressure in it and it started shooting oil out. So I figured I'd order a seal kit, pull it apart, and see what was wrong. I'm no expert, but I think the sealhead is supposed to have a seal...

Also look at the precision machining on the piston.

I plan on going through all my shocks and bumps before running them. Interested to see what else I find.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Made a mount for a second ammo can. This one is a 'tall 50'. Should be plenty of room for the spare parts and tools I won't need with this rig.

These will get bolted into the chassis when I am done welding it out.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Got my fuel pickup setup mocked up. Just have to wait for some different compression barb fittings. Ordered ones for 5/16 tubing and nylon hose and it turns out nylon hose is measured by the OD so they were for 1/4" hose. Ordered 3/8" fittings to get around that problem.

System feeds out of an AN bulkhead fitting in the bottom corner of the cell to hopefully supply good head pressure to the pump to keep it from dying.

Got the seat heater pads mounted to the Empi Racetrim seats. Seats are kinda cheap and cheesy but should last till I can upgrade. Replaced some of the nylon cord with good paracord and added some zip-ties to tighten the 'suspension' part of the seat up. Used 3m foam spray adhesive to mount the pads to the foam.

Got the dash all mocked up. Cheap Chinese digital gauges and switch panel along with re-settable circuit breakers. Gauges are RPM, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, and Trans Oil Temp. The switch panel has a built in voltmeter. Not sure exactly what I will use the circuit breakers all for yet, I will cross that when I wire the thing.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 83301
bump, I love the removeable ammo cans. The big ones are awesome for fluids and recovery gear.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Been dinking around on it. Got the front axle all welded up. Just need to clean it up and paint it. This is the only picture I got: front suckdown/tie-down tab.

Decided to splurge a little and got a rear swaybar from TK1. This is their 'rockcrawler' bar. 3/4" minor diameter, 36" wide, with 12" arms. Hopes it works well.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 864816
Very cool build!
Niek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Pulled apart one of each of my front and rear FOA shocks to check things out, change the fluid, and make notes on the shim stacks for future reference. Only found a few small flakes of aluminum and the fluid was pretty clean. For what they are, I'm fairly impressed with these shocks. With a little more QC, FOA would be a lot more major player.

Rear shocks have FOA's 'evenflow' piston. Had a few small aluminum burrs that needed cleaned up.

Regular piston. Machining on both these was a lot nicer then the bumpstop pistons.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Been welding away. Got everything behind the B-pillar welded except for a few small things and have welded about 3/4 of the stuff in front of the firewall.

Between the axles and chassis, I have used about 15lbs of .035 welding wire.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 866900
This build looks gorgeous thus far - I am curious, are you worried about the safety of the fuel tank without any internal baffles? I get the "slight" impression that this is to be an offroad rig, so you won't need to meet safety requirements for gas fuel cells on the road.... but still....
mrbrefast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 12:07 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrefast View Post
This build looks gorgeous thus far - I am curious, are you worried about the safety of the fuel tank without any internal baffles? I get the "slight" impression that this is to be an offroad rig, so you won't need to meet safety requirements for gas fuel cells on the road.... but still....
Thanks!

It will eventually have some kind of baffling, likely Alltech baffles or some other cheaper option. Skipping foam because of some of the issues it can cause. Lots of people run these cells without baffling without problems.

Baffling is required for most offroad events, not that this thing will likely see much competition.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardbysled View Post
Thanks!

It will eventually have some kind of baffling, likely Alltech baffles or some other cheaper option. Skipping foam because of some of the issues it can cause. Lots of people run these cells without baffling without problems.

Baffling is required for most offroad events, not that this thing will likely see much competition.
All tech baffles seems great. For my riding I have not had a slosh issue, but that's what i would run if i needed it. Some have tried wiffle balls in the past, but I dont recall the outcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in