What Combo for my 620 Build? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 89922
What Combo for my 620 Build?

Okay guys i am building a 78 620 KC and I have two options on the build and I'm having trouble makin up my mind. I have two engine and two tranny's sitting here ready to go.

Option 1
Low mileage L28 and 4 speed from my 280z that will bolt in after I clearance the firewall will use a Sami Tcase with some 6:1 gears and Yota axles with 37's max. Would use a steering box and assist. This is gonna be by far the cheaper and faster option (could be done over the winter), but will lack the wow factor of option 2.

Option 2
Low mileage vh45de and auto trans out of a wrecked Q45. Will require the firewall and floor to be chopped, but the engine makes over 300hp stock and will rev to the moon. Also has a weird intake manifold that helps a 4.5 liter v8 make max torque at around 2k and there is a company that sells here that makes a electric shifter to shift the trans like a manual valvebody and without a TCM. This option will require a 600 dollar adapter and an atlas Tcase. Would also go with a Dana 60 front with full hydro steering and either a Dana 70 or 14 bolt in the back with a minimum of 40 inch tires. Guessing this option costs around 5k more to build and will take a few years to build.

What would you guys do? I have been out of wheeling for awhile and have nothing to use right now and have buddy's that are out wheeling without me. I can't help but feel if I do option 1 I will want more and it will all have to be redone.
Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 136471
I know this is the Nissan section but I'll play devil's advocate...

If starting out fresh, why not use something more common for a motor? LS, 4.3, Gm3800, Ecotec or hell even a 22r/re? A more common platform will be easier to get parts for and cheaper as well as more of the 'issues' for swapping have been figured out by others. I know it won't be as 'cool' but it will still be a Nissan body.

Better to start with bigger axles, and slowly upgrade them, then have to upgrade from smaller axles to bigger ones down the road.
boardbysled is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardbysled View Post
I know this is the Nissan section but I'll play devil's advocate...

If starting out fresh, why not use something more common for a motor? LS, 4.3, Gm3800, Ecotec or hell even a 22r/re? A more common platform will be easier to get parts for and cheaper as well as more of the 'issues' for swapping have been figured out by others. I know it won't be as 'cool' but it will still be a Nissan body.

Better to start with bigger axles, and slowly upgrade them, then have to upgrade from smaller axles to bigger ones down the road.
^^^This the whole thing.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 89922
We'll because I have both the listed engines and tranny's. I started tearing into it this afternoon and I think I'm gonna go with the 280z L28 engine. It will bolt in like stock with abit of firewall cutting and will make enough power for a light truck but not enough to tear up parts. I'll be able to use a cheap Samurai tcase with a under drive hi gear and a 6:1 low gear so I can keep stock 4:10's in the toy axles for strength and to save some cash.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Sounds like a cool project, looking forward to a build thread.
boardbysled is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 89922
We'll that didn't go as planned. Don't try to put a L28 in a 620. It's in but had to cut more then expected and use mix and match motor mounts to get it bolted up. Decided to go with dual tranny's and a 720 tcase instead of a low geared Sami case. Found that the input and output on these Datsun tranny's are the same spline and size, gonna use a cut down slip yoke to mate them. Also gonna use a h223 Nissan rear instead of a toy mini truck. 63 wms, 9" ring gear and 33spline shafts for the win. Also real cheap. Probably do a fj80 front, wish I could get a Patrol h223 unit. The biggest issue is gonna be clearance for the intake manifold and the throttle pedal(280 uses rods and sockets). The header fit like it was made for a 620 which is weird.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehouse View Post
We'll that didn't go as planned. Don't try to put a L28 in a 620. It's in but had to cut more then expected and use mix and match motor mounts to get it bolted up. Decided to go with dual tranny's and a 720 tcase instead of a low geared Sami case. Found that the input and output on these Datsun tranny's are the same spline and size, gonna use a cut down slip yoke to mate them. Also gonna use a h223 Nissan rear instead of a toy mini truck. 63 wms, 9" ring gear and 33spline shafts for the win. Also real cheap. Probably do a fj80 front, wish I could get a Patrol h223 unit. The biggest issue is gonna be clearance for the intake manifold and the throttle pedal(280 uses rods and sockets). The header fit like it was made for a 620 which is weird.
Pics or it didn't happen.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
You should just buy my caged, locked, and SAS'd Frontier in the classified section.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 89922
I need to setup a image hosting site account to post pics I guess. Sorry I like to build my own rigs.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 89922
Bought a long armed xj on 35's for 2350 bucks to use in the mean time. So no hurry now. Thinkin about doin a build like the Dirt Squirrel in the Toyota section. Pretty much building a buggy that the 620 cab will bolt to so I can toss the body when it gets munched and using 1 tons and hydro steer for sure. Still up in the air on using the straight 6/manual or the Infinity V8/auto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in