98 Pathfinder, how modable ?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 159438
98 Pathfinder, how modable ??

About to take ownership of wifeys little 98 pathfinder, 200+ miles but has recent tranny rebuild, motor runs like a champ, thinking I might can make a good trail rider out of it, nothing off the deep end (curious about a SAS9 me likey.) but want it to be a capable machine.

What are some of the better mods that will need to be done, or would it be smarter to consider a totaly newer/better model Nissan to mod ??

Thanks in advance.
Appalachia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Not a whole lot 'off the shelf'. They're unibody, which doesnt make them the best for offroad modding. I believe there are some basic lift kits.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 162148
They are excellent for mild offroading, like getting to camp sites, fishing spots, hiking trail heads etc. Just throw some slightly larger AT or MT tires and a simple 2" lift.

Other then that, like boardbysled said, they are unibody and have a pretty limited aftermarket.

Basically, they are very good capable reliable vehicles when left near stock. Sure you can do alot of custom fabwork and get anything done, but at that point it might be wiser to start with a different vehicle.

You can get lockers front and rear, with some armor (skid plates, rock sliders and bumpers) you can get pretty far and not need to worry about breaking shit. Skid plates and rock sliders will let you slide over most obstacles as long as you can get a wheel or 2 on the ground.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/

Last edited by leeleatherwood; 04-03-2017 at 11:40 AM.
leeleatherwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 159438
Done a lot of digging around last night and came to the idea its not the platform for building a crawler, which I dont need to go back down that rabbit hole again anyway, about all I hope do is a 3 in lift and 33 in rubber, lock out hubs and WILL have a winch, probably fab up a brush guard and bumpers, that should do what I need, just something to trail ride grand kids,camp,hunt,fish.

Just ordered a set of at tires today, and my daughter got hit square in the rear bumper last weekend, which gives me the perfect excuse to make a bumper,,,let the games begin !!!

Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited by Appalachia; 04-03-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Appalachia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Post pictures when you get to fabbing. That is half the problem with the Nissan stuff is not enough people share their custom fabrication where it is searchable.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in