D21 4cyl 4x4 trans upgrade? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 469193
D21 4cyl 4x4 trans upgrade?

Bear with me as I write a book...

A few years ago I picked up a Japanese 1992 4dr D21 Nissan Datsun, TD27T, 5-spd 4x4. Soon after I got it I noticed a bad noise from the front of the trans. When I took out the trans the input shaft seal had failed and the input shaft bearing was toast. While tearing it down I found that the needle bearings in the input shaft were pitted and had wrecked the input shaft and the end of the mainshaft. Rather than replace all of that I found a rotted truck with a bad engine but a newer rebuilt trans in it. Being from a Z24 powered truck the case front had to be changed to fit the diesel. I took the trans apart inspected everything replaced the seals and gaskets and put it back together with a new clutch.
All good...
Fast forward to a few weeks ago I'm on the highway and bang! No 5th! Crap Ok try 4th, yup that works slow down some more, no 3rd...
All I have is 4th/direct no other gears or reverse. Well 4th got me to my destination but when I stopped I noticed oil coming out of the bellhousing so the input shaft seal is toast again and most likely the clutch. I haven't had time, nor desire to pull this trans to see just what went wrong but this is the second trans on this truck with only a little over 130,000 kms. I use this to tow my camper and my cars around on a car trailer. When the trans blew up though I was unloaded and just cruising along.

I write all of this to ask. Has anyone upgraded the trans on the back of the diesel? FS5R30 from a V6 Pathfinder?
I have never blown up a FS5W71 in any of my 2wd trucks or even in my 510 that I drive the crap out of, but this truck continues to eat transmissions.
Suggestions??
datsuntech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
You're not going to find much help on a diesel here. Not many Nissan diesels in North American and 95% of them would be imported.

I did find this thread in a quick search that talks quite a bit about the TD27 options:
https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...atibility-Info

You may have to pony up and import something for JP or Oz.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 469193
Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out. Seems promising. The only real difference between my truck and your typical KA24E powered D21 4x4 is the engine and the bolt pattern on the front case half of the trans. So if anyone has swapped a stronger trans (FS5R30) onto a KA that would be helpful too.
I've been building Datsuns (mostly 510s) for over 30 years and was a Nissan Tech in the 90s and 2000s so I'm very familiar with these trucks, but only recently in the last 5 or so years got into the 4x4s and modifying them. Lots to learn.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 98535
I toasted a tranny in my old D21 also. Found out from a guy at the junk yard (not employee) that on some of the five speeds the fill hole is too low. The tranny doesn't have enough oil in it to lube the input seal and bearing. Take off the stick and add an extra quart to the top and they don't roast the input bearing.
dentedsub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 469193
Ya, there was a TSB (technical service bulletin) on that back in the day. Nissan had a new case to fix the issue, but all you really needed to do was add extra oil to the trans through the shifter hole or jack the left side of the truck up and add extra oil through the filler hole. I had already done this on my truck. Same issue on the V6 trans too.

SB Truck; 4WD W71C M/T Whine Noise on Acceleration
Summary of NTB97018:
If a FS5W71C transmission exhibits a whine noise while driving in all forward gears except 4th, the cause may be lack of lubrication to the main and counter drive gears on acceleration and/or climbing. The whine noise is more pronounced in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears at slow speeds.
A countermeasure transmission case is available to reduce these incidents.

SB FS5R30A Transmission Whine
Summary of NTB97009:
If an R30A transmission exhibits a whine noise while driving in all forward gears except 4th which is more pronounced at slow speeds, the incident may be caused by lack of lubrication to the main and counter drive gears. This lack of lubrication occurs on acceleration and/or climbing hills. A countermeasure transmission case is available to resolve this incident.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 700266
That thread on the 4x4community should be of help, besides the language problem. The guy that really has experimented with just about everything, is Reenen. He has something like 20 Nissans on his property (mostly Patrols and Safaris), has built some hectic combinations. Like a L28 to RB26 conversion, and presently busy with a Patrol that is getting some Unimog portals. Unfortunately he speaks Afrikaans, so will probably be a problem for you to understand. Nizzmozilla is our drift and skidder who has also built some strange stuff, and then Jelo is just a mine of info.

I am Bfreesani on that forum, and have found these guys information invaluable on many occassions. If you need anything translated from that thread, give me a shout.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 469193
Thanks ABCAB. I'll check it out.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 225557
i got manual tranny from td42 if thats any help to you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 469193
It might, I haven't figured it out yet. I see that you're in Mass, I'm in Manitoba that's quite far away. I do have relatives in the Salem, Mass area if I need it. Maybe we can work some thing out.

Thanks for the offer.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 469193
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredycruger View Post
i got manual tranny from td42 if thats any help to you
Apparently that's no good. I need the box from a QD32. Actually all I need is the front case half as apparently they use the same trans as the VG30. So a FS5R30A out of a Pathfinder or V6 truck and the front case half from a FS5R30A that came on a QD32 and I'm good to go.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 225557
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsuntech View Post
Apparently that's no good. I need the box from a QD32. Actually all I need is the front case half as apparently they use the same trans as the VG30. So a FS5R30A out of a Pathfinder or V6 truck and the front case half from a FS5R30A that came on a QD32 and I'm good to go.
ok man good luck

when i convert my td42 to auto it was PITA to find any info

patrol 4x4 is pretty goodon info on td42 and zd30 but it seams like you cant use patrol stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fredycruger; 05-16-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 469193
Thanks. I have of course found what I need but it's in Australia. The price isn't bad but the shipping is beyond ridiculous. I actually want a Patrol but they are very expensive around here and I really don't need another truck.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 225557
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsuntech View Post
Thanks. I have of course found what I need but it's in Australia. The price isn't bad but the shipping is beyond ridiculous. I actually want a Patrol but they are very expensive around here and I really don't need another truck.
i saw your thread there
when i converted mine i had to source parts from australia, saudi arabia (partsouq) and had my adapter machined from dude across the country in Wi
that was fun

what is the part you actually looking for?
i know of 1 zd30/td42 bellhousing here in US/NY

Old 05-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 469193
TD42 has a different bolt pattern than the TD27. I need the bellhousing from a QD32 with input shaft cover or a whole QD32 FS5R30A trans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in