1969 Nissan Patrol build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 788993
1969 Nissan Patrol build

Hello all! Have a new project i will be starting soon, a 1969 Nissan Patrol. Long story short, I had owned this a while ago, then sold it because I needed the cash and space. Luckily it went to a local friend who could appreciate "what it was." Well, he wound up never getting around to doing anything with it because he had a more important project, that was also sitting collecting dust. I told him "ill get that volvo [you may have seen the Volvo C304 thread that I started ] running and driving if you give me the patrol back." Well last week I dropped his volvo off at his house and picked the patrol back up. All he did to it was put on some Xterra 16" wheels (had the center bores machined out bigger), and that was it since I gave it to him. Anyways, now to pictures and plans!

It does have a lot of rust, and honestly is far too gone for me to do a total restoration. I want something I can have fun driving, more than I want something to sit at car shows. Sorry in advance to the purists out there, but my plans are as follows:

Chevy 5.3 LM7 swap, with an SM465 trans and Dana 18 TC
SPOA swap with slightly longer shackles
disc brake conversion
add stereo system (nothing crazy, just a head unit and 4 speakers probably)
possibly beefing up the frame rails somehow (will be used off road)

As far as repairs go, i plan on re-doing the entire electrical system, re-doing the front floor boards (rusted out), replacing rubber seals/trim in as many places as I can find the trim pieces for, repairing major rust areas (rear doors, roof corners, windshield), cheap paint job, seats reupholstered, and that's probably it. My racecar takes priority, and is currently in the shop for some small repairs, so this will be a slow and budget-friendly build. I would like to have it running by the end of the year though.

Here is how it sits right now:

The first task I would like to complete when I get time is removing the drivetrain! Wish me luck!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Any plan to swap axles? Toyota 80 series axles would probably fit pretty good since parts for that old of a Patrol are pretty much unobtainium.

Looking forward to the build!
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 788993
I was thinking about doing an FJ60 axle set swap, but they are so hard to find, and so expensive when you do. The patrol axles are pretty stout, the only problem I have with them is the brakes. Very expensive and hard to find parts. Hence the disc brake conversion using easily obtainable parts from US market cars. The springs are already not original also, so I'm thinking of finding some "cheap" yj lift springs or something like that and using those for an easy lift. I can fabricate parts and have access to 3d design software and friends in machine shops, so I think I can get a custom brake setup on no problem, as well as custom shackles as needed.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 788993
also, i am interested in a Warn overdrive unit for the Dana 18. Does anyone have one for sale??
Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 788993
Tonight I picked up the new heart for the patrol...a 5.3 LM7 engine from a 1999 Silverado. it runs great and I cant wait to drop it in! Before I can mate the trans up, I need to rebuild it, and also swap out the mainshaft for the conversion shaft to allow the Dana 18 to fit. Not sure when I will be able to get all that done, maybe in the next month or so...just depends on finances really lol

Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 788993
Step 1 has been complete!

the new engine is ready to be cleaned up, wire harness modified, and patrols floor pans repaired (rusted away). Does anyone know of a 3d model of a G60 patrol, specifically the front half with frame rails and body/engine bay? I would love to be able to design some custom motor mounts in CAD.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 788993
I have started re-wiring the engine harness, getting it ready for standalone operation, and it is almost done. I am missing the OBD2 plug, but thats very easy to wire in, just 3 wires. Also started taking the unnecessary accessories off the engine, and Ill have to figure out some kind of idler pulley replacement for the power steering pump since I wont be running PS.

Last edited by yitzac1990; 05-20-2019 at 03:15 PM.
yitzac1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 40131
In

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 788993
Well I found a schematic of some frame dimensions so I made a crude model of the front half of the Patrols frame. Also got an LS engine model, and a bellhousing and trans model. the bellhousing and trans arent exact (621 housing with a T56, whereas ill be using SM465 trans with an old school bellhousing), but it will do just to help with 3d positioning of the engine. This is what I have so far:

Old 05-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 788993
I have finished reworking the harness and its ready for "1-wire" operation. Ill just need to get the ECU tuned to remove VATS and emissions, and also program in a fan turn-on signal.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
We’re watching.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Glad to see more 'hardcore' Nissan builds! Keep it up.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 788993
i was finally able to order a bunch of parts today! including all parts needed to rebuild and mate my transmission and transfer case, as well as engine mounts. hopefully those rebuilds will go smooth and i can get everything mated up and into the patrol!
Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 788993
so I have been getting a lot of small things done here and there. cleaned up the engien bay a bit by removing some un-needed brackets, cleaned out the fuel tank (that i'm sure isn't even a Patrol fuel tank), got some wired things labeled like the wiper motor and blower motor, removed sway bars and shocks, etc. A couple "big" things I got done were installing my new brake and clutch master cylinder! Check these out!

Old 06-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 788993
since my patrol didnt come with a gas pedal, for whatever reason, I did some cutting and welding and put on a Nissan 240sx gas pedal. I also added in a throttle cable from a 240sx as well.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
cool
no power assisted brakes ?

look like hydroboost would fit there ?

fredycruger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 788993
a hydroboost would fit, or even a vacuum booster, if i remade that adapter. but I'm leaving it un-powered at first and will get a feel for it. then I can always change it up if I need to. I am making all new brake lines anyways.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 788993
Here is the current status: the engine received all new gaskets, new timing kit, new oil pump, new water pump, and a general cleanup of at least most of the gunk that was all over it. the SM465 transmission rebuild has also started. I had to run out and get a bearing puller kit, so the transmission progress will continue tomorrow. Reading the instructions from Novak, I think it might actually be easier than I thought, but this is the first time I have ever rebuilt a trans, so wish me luck!! Any tips on rebuilding these transmissions, i would love to hear them!

Old 07-01-2019, 12:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 788993
So I went to a friends house to get the transmission mainshaft done since he has a press. Everything went well there. But when I went to assemble the transmission, I ran into some problems. I took a video and any help would be appreciated!!!

https://youtu.be/o8r_teugvjU
Old 07-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 788993
I got the transmission figured out! I took it all apart again to make sure everything was installed correctly, and this time when putting it back I was able to seat the rear main bearing all the way in, which pulled everything together nicely.

Here it is all buttoned up with new seals/gaskets and the Novak TC adapter on it:

I was also about to get my clutch and flywheel mated to the engine, when I realized the flywheel I had was a completely different bolt pattern and crank center bore than what I needed. so i wasnt able to get to that, but I have already ordered the correct flywheel for the job.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 788993
the transfer case has been rebuilt and is ready to go. this was MUCH easier than the transmission!

I should be receiving my flywheel today. Once I have that, I can install it and the clutch, then the transmission, then the TC. Next step would be dropping into the patrol for test fitting!!
Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Digging the old iron 465

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 788993
I got the flywheel in yesterday, which means I was able to get everything bolted together! I had to finesse the trans and TC a little bit with an angle grinder to get it to fit, very close together!

I also had to relocate the shift stick pin screw. You can see the original spot for the screw right behind one of the gussets in the transmission. so I stuck an old screw in there with some loc-tite, and drilled and tapped a new hole on the right side of the shift tower. this will make it much easier to access the screw to install and remove the shift stick pin.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 788993
I just ordered all my new brake parts for the patrol for my disc brake conversion. I will be using the following:

Front brakes:
1993 Toyota 4runner 3.0L calipers and pads
1993 Toyota 4runner 3.0L rotors

Rear brakes:
1993 Nissan 240sx calipers and pads
1995 Isuzu pickup rotors

I wanted to go with 240sx rear calipers because they are pretty cheap, easily found (at least when you are in the drifting community ), and have built in e-brake cable attachments. The Isuzu truck rotor is 0.1" thicker than the rotor on a 240sx, so hopefully the 240sx caliper/pad combo will still drop onto the rotor nicely. If not, I may have to turn down the rotors a bit.

The brake conversion will start once the drivetrain is complete and installed in the patrol. I want to get it running first, then I will do all the axle work (SPOA swap, disc brake conversion)

Last edited by yitzac1990; 07-11-2019 at 01:57 PM.
yitzac1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 06:01 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 788993
The post you have all been waiting for...THE ENGINE IS IN!!!

I wanted to line up the shifter with the OEM shifter hole in the floor board cover piece, but I wasnt able to push the engine back any further due to exhaust manifold clearances. At least it left me with a bunch of room to work on stuff at the back of the engine if I ever need to!

These are the exhaust manifold clearances I was talking about. The driver side manifold sits a little further back than passenger side, so it will probably be a super close fit. I think ill try to find a set of low profile block-hugger headers.

Even though I wasnt able to move the engine back any further, all the weight is still over or behind the front axle, so it will work for me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in