Conical of a CA CCW - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 121053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Printer View Post
Wow! I know the weather is soooo awesome in CA, but how do you stand the fucking rooools there??
So, you have to register any/every gun you might want to carry? I had no idea you had to ask them if your firearm met their approval
Damn, you can make fun of us hillbillies all you want, I think I might just love Missouri a little more after reading 4 pages of your nightmare.
Good luck, carry on.
I am by no means a native Commie-fornian. I certainly would never be found making fun of hillbillies. I am one (Well more of a Redneck from the sticks)! I miss my Arizona freedom but work brings me here so I make the best of the situation.
Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 121053
Shipping a pistol private party to an FFL:

Shipping must be done through a UPS or FedEx shipping hub. You can not use a store or drop off location. Handgun have to be shipped overnight. Long guns can go general ground. Insurance on the package is your choice.

It cost my dad $75 to ship the pistol from southern AZ to CA. He had to drive an hour and a half to the nearest hub. The gal at the counter pitched a all out fit and demanded that he give the FFL # of the store here in CA. The store would not give up their FFL number to a private individual per ATF's direction. They only gave a partial number and the ATF's website to verify the validity of the FFL #.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

It is not UPS's responsibility to verify the FFL # and address. Ultimately it falls on the individual doing the shipping. Finally my dad was able to get the manager and get it sorted out. The lady dug her heels in and was on a power trip as to the interpretation of the UPS regulations.

I don't know why I expected this very simple task to go any different. It's been a cluster fuck of idiots the entire way.

My dad is a Class III dealer in Southern AZ but because this was a gift from him to me he could not ship FFL to FFL. The dealer here in CA would not accept it from a FFL, it had to come from a private individual.

On a positive note, I am scheduled to do my qualification shoot on the 16th! Then I can call to schedule an appointment with the Sherriff to get my card updated. I can not schedule an appointment until they receive the paperwork from the Authorized Firearms Instructor that will be doing the qualification. Appointments are on Tuesdays and Thursdays for CCW card modifications.

Last edited by Hunt; 01-07-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
Shipping a pistol private party to an FFL:

Shipping must be done through a UPS or FedEx shipping hub. You can not use a store or drop off location. Handgun have to be shipped overnight. Long guns can go general ground. Insurance on the package is your choice.

It cost my dad $75 to ship the pistol from southern AZ to CA. He had to drive an hour and a half to the nearest hub. The gal at the counter pitched a all out fit and demanded that he give the FFL # of the store here in CA. The store would not give up their FFL number to a private individual per ATF's direction. They only gave a partial number and the ATF's website to verify the validity of the FFL #.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

It is not UPS's responsibility to verify the FFL # and address. Ultimately it falls on the individual doing the shipping. Finally my dad was able to get the manager and get it sorted out. The lady dug her heels in and was on a power trip as to the interpretation of the UPS regulations.

I don't know why I expected this very simple task to go any different. It's been a cluster fuck of idiots the entire way.

My dad is a Class III dealer in Southern AZ but because this was a gift from him to me he could not ship FFL to FFL. The dealer here in CA would not accept it from a FFL, it had to come from a private individual.

On a positive note, I am scheduled to do my qualification shoot on the 16th! Then I can call to schedule an appointment with the Sherriff to get my card updated. I can not schedule an appointment until they receive the paperwork from the Authorized Firearms Instructor that will be doing the qualification. Appointments are on Tuesdays and Thursdays for CCW card modifications.
Would it have been easier for you to go to the gun store and say "I have an FFL in Arizona I'm getting a gun from. I have his contact information right here. Who do I need to talk to about doing a transfer?" and left out the whole part about him being your father? What is the benefit/difference in a gift vs straight transfer as an FFL to an FFL?

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re.../firearms.html

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

where does it say anything about family being involved? FFL to FFL is required by their policy. I would have asked her for a copy of the printed policy she is citing.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #104 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Would it have been easier for you to go to the gun store and say "I have an FFL in Arizona I'm getting a gun from." and left out the whole part about him being your father? What is the benefit/difference in a gift vs straight transfer as an FFL to an FFL?
He can get a non rostered handgun as a gift.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 121053
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Would it have been easier for you to go to the gun store and say "I have an FFL in Arizona I'm getting a gun from. I have his contact information right here. Who do I need to talk to about doing a transfer?" and left out the whole part about him being your father? What is the benefit/difference in a gift vs straight transfer as an FFL to an FFL?

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re.../firearms.html

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

where does it say anything about family being involved? FFL to FFL is required by their policy. I would have asked her for a copy of the printed policy she is citing.
Are far as UPS is concerned, it has nothing to do with family. It was a individual shipping a firearm to a dealer. She wanted proof of the license part but that is a little beyond her job scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuki View Post
He can get a non rostered handgun as a gift.
This
Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 25603
Send a message via Yahoo to johnny_boy02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Printer View Post
Wow! I know the weather is soooo awesome in CA, but how do you stand the fucking rooools there??
So, you have to register any/every gun you might want to carry? I had no idea you had to ask them if your firearm met their approval
Damn, you can make fun of us hillbillies all you want, I think I might just love Missouri a little more after reading 4 pages of your nightmare.
Good luck, carry on.
It is wildly different from county to county. For instance I am limited to 3 guns on my permit but I can change them at will. No qualifying with each one. It is also pretty easy to obtain a permit in my county where it was a much longer process for the OP.
johnny_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM93LiftedYJ View Post
Walk into the PD.

Wait one week.

Return with $10.

Get your permit.

Hmmm..I will do you one better.

Walk into Sheriffs

Submit application and $20

Walk out 10 min later with permit.

^^^^^this is how it should be for any law abiding citizen.

I can carry any handgun I own, no limit and I could buy or sell them and get different ones etc. ...No way I would do the crap California puts you thru
Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #108 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post

Walk into Sheriffs

I can carry any handgun I own, no limit and I could buy or sell them and get different ones etc. ...No way I would do the crap California puts you thru
Sweet. Reach over your shoulder and pat yourself on the back. Then, since you're back there, go ahead and fist yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 121053
My dad sent the package last Thursday. Due to "Adverse Weather Conditions" (Southern AZ go a dusting of snow) it didn't go out that day. I don't know why they could not get it out of Phoenix Friday or Saturday. Fast forward to today, the shop is closed Mondays and they will deliver tomorrow. I'm so glad they make you overnight a pistol just to have it deliver it 5 days later.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Quote:

Walk into Sheriffs

Put gun in holster, put holster in pants.

Quote:
My dad sent the package last Thursday. Due to "Adverse Weather Conditions" (Southern AZ go a dusting of snow) it didn't go out that day. I don't know why they could not get it out of Phoenix Friday or Saturday. Fast forward to today, the shop is closed Mondays and they will deliver tomorrow. I'm so glad they make you overnight a pistol just to have it deliver it 5 days later.
Didn't Phoenix get rain? I'm surprised it got out at all.
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sweet. Reach over your shoulder and pat yourself on the back. Then, since you're back there, go ahead and fist yourself.
Don't hate
Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 121053
I did the paperwork on my new pistol today. Another $25 to the state for the DROS fee and $60 for the dealer transfer fee.

I can take it home in 10 days. There is an exact time printed on the form 10 days to the minute when I can take possession. I thought that because I had jumped through all the hoops and have paid an obscene amount of money for my CCW that the 10 day rule didn't apply??? SURPRISE nope! It only applies to cops because they are higher class citizens than we mere scumbag taxpaying, law abiters. I'll have to figure out where I got that little piece of bad info.

Costs:
$33.00 CA drivers license
$19 for the BOF 4010A
$0.49 for a stamp
$1.06 for a money order
$130 + $3 credit card fee
$250 + $50 class fees
$80 + $3
$25 DROS $60 dealer fee
Total: $604.55
5 trips to the sheriff's office

Last edited by Hunt; 05-26-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
The law was struck down by the Supreme Court over a year ago, but nothing has happened to actually change it I can't recall if the decision applied to just cow holders, or all registered gun owners.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #114 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The law was struck down by the Supreme Court over a year ago, but nothing has happened to actually change it I can't recall if the decision applied to just cow holders, or all registered gun owners.
"On August 25 2014 of last year, Judge Anthony Ishii of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California released his decision after a bench trial, holding that the WPL is unconstitutional as-applied to three classes (“groups”) of law-abiding people: “individuals who successfully pass the BFEC/standard background check prior to 10 days and who are in lawful possession of an additional firearm as confirmed by the AFS system,” “individuals who successfully pass the BFEC/standard background check prior to 10 days and who possess a valid CCW license issued pursuant to California Penal Code § 26150 or § 26155,” and, “individuals who successfully pass the BFEC/standard background check prior to 10 days and who possess both a valid COE issued pursuant to California Penal Code § 26710 and a firearm as confirmed by the AFS system.”"

It's out on appeal.
https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/li...ster-v-harris/
Old 01-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 121053
I thought I caught a break when I was able to schedule my qualification shoot for this Saturday. Since I will not have possession of the pistol by then, I have to push the qual shoot to February 27.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Quote:
I thought I caught a break when I was able to schedule my qualification shoot for this Saturday. Since I will not have possession of the pistol by then, I have to push the qual shoot to February 27.
Can you borrow one?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket flier View Post
Can you borrow one?
In my county you need to qualify and register every weapon that you plan to carry. The qualifications vary county by county.

Last edited by Wilson; 01-15-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #118 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
Quote:
In CA you need to qualify and register every weapon that you plan to carry. The qualifications vary county by county.
These two sentences do not equate. And only the second one has merit.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuki View Post
These two sentences do not equate. And only the second one has merit.
Fixed
Old 01-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Quote:
In my county you need to qualify and register every weapon that you plan to carry. The qualifications vary county by county.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 121053
I was able to pick up my new pistol Friday. No fuss at all. Pretty much walked in and out. Now to wait for the qual shoot on Feb 27.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 507185
Quote:
Walk into Sheriffs

Same for Washington but more $$$.

Ironically, the CCW office is at a T in the hallway at downtown Seattle KCCH;
Go Left to jail,
Go Right to CCW office.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
I was able to pick up my new pistol Friday. No fuss at all. Pretty much walked in and out. Now to wait for the qual shoot on Feb 27.
Damn you have patience!
When I lived there, I just said fuck it and carried anyways. I figured the 11+ mags would make me a criminal anyways, so to hell with it and carried a throwaway.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 2587
Location: 38*45.859N 120*34.534W (N. Ca) Future location of beachfront property.
In my county I only had to qualify with one, can qualify at renewal with whatever handgun I want and I can have an unlimited number on my permit. I have all the handguns I own on my permit so I never have to worry about locking them up for travel. To add or subtract a weapon takes about 15 minutes, they edit, print new, I sign and I'm on my way.
Aggro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 121053
I went and did my qualification shoot on Saturday, 27 Feb 16. Another $50.00

The instructor will not take the paperwork to the Sherriff's office until next Friday, 4 Mar '16.

I am told I should wait a week for the Sherriff to figure out that they have my paperwork. Then I can call them to request a date to come into the Sherriff's office for a change (additional firearm) to my card, 11 Mar '16.

They only do changes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. From what I hear the appointments are generally within a week or two. Hopefully I can have the appointment by 24 Mar.

I am not clear if they will reprint a new card and I have to either wait for it the same day or if they will send it via snail mail or if they will just amend my current card???

Costs:
$33.00 CA drivers license
$19 for the BOF 4010A
$0.49 for a stamp
$1.06 for a money order
$130 + $3 credit card fee
$250 + $50 class fees
$80 + $3
$25 DROS $60 dealer fee
$50 adding a gun to the card
Total: $654.55
5 trips to the sheriff's office

Last edited by Hunt; 05-26-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in