Road bike peeps - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95131
Location: Williamsburg, MI
Posts: 2,692
Glad you found a nice used bike for your target price and didn't buy a cheap new bike. You've also spent a couple dollars and furthered your relationship with the bike shop. Congrats, and enjoy that shiny speed demon!
__________________
Quote:
thats not how the internet works. i'm an expert on here, not in real life.
When in doubt, throttle out!
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #52 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Muddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5123
Location: Texas
Posts: 27,668
Send a message via Yahoo to Muddin
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyfixin View Post
Glad you found a nice used bike for your target price and didn't buy a cheap new bike. You've also spent a couple dollars and furthered your relationship with the bike shop. Congrats, and enjoy that shiny speed demon!

I had popped in and they took a lot of time to show me what to look for, took the time to fit me, even though they didn't have anything in my size. They just seemed to love to talk about bikes and were not interested in selling me something that wasn't going to work for me. So, I knew I was either going to buy a bike from them or take one to them for the tune up and fit. Some really awesome peeps working there. I'll always support places like that.

Bullseye Bicycle Shop in Denton TX if anyone in the area is looking for a cool shop. Bullseye Bikes Denton TX
__________________
Stabbings aren't funny.
Beatings aren't funny.
Clowns aren't funny.
But stabbing and beating a clown is.



Argue not to win victory over your opponent, but to advance toward the truth.
Muddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #53 (permalink)
Take a Knee
 
Mudinyeri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member # 44531
Location: Nebraska ... the Good Life
Posts: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin View Post
I've got tools already and ride an old mountain bike which I've had to fix on trails. I've not a total newb to bikes.
Well, I didn't see anywhere that you mentioned that you had a complete set of bike tools and/or a stand to work on the bike and knew how to work on bikes.

Even if you do, you have it at the bike shop for a tune-up. If you're paying for a tune-up now, you'll be paying for other things in the not-too-distant future. Eventually, your total cost of ownership will be higher (for a 'vintage' bike) and your performance lower than a new bike.

Have fun with your "new" bike.
__________________
Medium Speed, Some Drag
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #54 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Muddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5123
Location: Texas
Posts: 27,668
Send a message via Yahoo to Muddin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
Well, I didn't see anywhere that you mentioned that you had a complete set of bike tools and/or a stand to work on the bike and knew how to work on bikes.

Even if you do, you have it at the bike shop for a tune-up. If you're paying for a tune-up now, you'll be paying for other things in the not-too-distant future. Eventually, your total cost of ownership will be higher (for a 'vintage' bike) and your performance lower than a new bike.

Have fun with your "new" bike.


Hey thanks for your help!
__________________
Stabbings aren't funny.
Beatings aren't funny.
Clowns aren't funny.
But stabbing and beating a clown is.



Argue not to win victory over your opponent, but to advance toward the truth.
Muddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #55 (permalink)
Change is good.
 
Roc Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20631
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 35,186
Did you get a computer for it? How's it ride?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard Dog
Me and my co driver were running across the Lakebed on our way to pre run when we saw :gary: walking his dog.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #56 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Muddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5123
Location: Texas
Posts: 27,668
Send a message via Yahoo to Muddin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Did you get a computer for it? How's it ride?
Rides real nice! I think my speed was okay considering the 25-35mph headwind today and that I'm desperately out of shape. It didn't take me long to fall back into using friction shifters without a problem. It was like riding a bicycle, you just don't forget.

Right now I'm using mapmyride. I had a ram mount laying around so I strapped it on and put my phone in it. Once I start doing longer stuff I'll need to figure out something else since GPS runs down my phone battery so quick.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Stabbings aren't funny.
Beatings aren't funny.
Clowns aren't funny.
But stabbing and beating a clown is.



Argue not to win victory over your opponent, but to advance toward the truth.

Last edited by Muddin; 03-22-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Muddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #57 (permalink)
Change is good.
 
Roc Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20631
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 35,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin View Post
Rides real nice! I think my speed was okay considering the 25-35mph headwind today and that I'm desperately out of shape. It didn't take me long to fall back into using friction shifters without a problem. It was like riding a bicycle, you just don't forget.

Right now I'm using mapmyride. I had a ram mount laying around so I strapped it on and put my phone in it. Once I start doing longer stuff I'll need to figure out something else since GPS runs down my phone battery so quick.
Oh, and to help save your knees, ride one gear lower than you would normally and keep your spin up, until you've got a good base of miles on you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard Dog
Me and my co driver were running across the Lakebed on our way to pre run when we saw :gary: walking his dog.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #58 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Muddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5123
Location: Texas
Posts: 27,668
Send a message via Yahoo to Muddin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Oh, and to help save your knees, ride one gear lower than you would normally and keep your spin up, until you've got a good base of miles on you.

I do that anyway because I bring the weaksauce for now.

Did a ~6 mile ride today. 35 mph winds can move along now.
__________________
Stabbings aren't funny.
Beatings aren't funny.
Clowns aren't funny.
But stabbing and beating a clown is.



Argue not to win victory over your opponent, but to advance toward the truth.
Muddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Member # 397210
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 1,657
I hate riding into the wind. I always try to plan my ride so I start of riding into them then get a tail wind on the way home after I'm tired
non-OP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #60 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Muddin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5123
Location: Texas
Posts: 27,668
Send a message via Yahoo to Muddin
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-OP View Post
I hate riding into the wind. I always try to plan my ride so I start of riding into them then get a tail wind on the way home after I'm tired

This is what I did today. The wind isn't bad, but I do a long ride Friday's or the weekend if Friday doesn't work out. It's up hill, both ways, to my house too so I don't want to fight wind, uphill, and being tired all at once lol!

I guess I've got 40 miles on the old bike and we're doing pretty good. I've increased my speed even over longer distances so I'm getting stronger. Woot!
__________________
Stabbings aren't funny.
Beatings aren't funny.
Clowns aren't funny.
But stabbing and beating a clown is.



Argue not to win victory over your opponent, but to advance toward the truth.
Muddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.