Pirate 4x4 banner

Ugh. So do I get my AR now or what?

9K views 141 replies 61 participants last post by  gatorgrizz27 
#1 ·
Well I was already on deck to go pick up a S&W MP15 just to learn AR's and have on in the stable. Would be my first.

But I was delaying for this and that because of a big vacation coming up and I just didn't want to spend $800 right now. But with the recent events, and the upcoming election I'm kinda thinking, hmmmmm may not want to delay any more dumbass.

But at the same time I don't want to pay inflated prices. I don't care if they think I'm some scaredy cat who's doing a gun grab. But should I go pick one up or wait till shit calms down?

Didn't want to put this in GCC as the loons would chime in. :D

#3 ·
So don't buy an $800 AR :p

Lowers can be had for as low as $40, and all the rest of the parts can be had in kit form from $350-$450.

#4 · (Edited)
Agreed, just find a stripped lower or 5. I still see them for <$75 all the time. One of my regular customers found some for $45 a month or two back.
Seems like after the 08 election everyone with a mill started producing lowers.

#7 ·
I'm not against building one, as that's probably the best way to learn. But I really have no idea about ARs other than how to fire and clear them. So I figured a cheap one to learn on would be better than one that I build and don't know good parts from bad, the right trigger assembly versus the wrong based on the components I already have, etc.

The gun is about $650, plus background check and taxes I figured $800.

That one for $518 isn't bad. But should I go 5.56 for the first one or .223? The ongoing debate I'm sure. I can't remember which one is adaptable to the other.

#10 ·
So let's say I decide to go with just the lower, I understand that is the key component to what may eventually get banned, but is there nothing else that they could try to ban at some point? Mags, interior firing components, etc?

I have no problem picking up a pair of lowers, but

1) Just making sure I don't need to get at least a full component gun first
2) What makes one lower good, one bad?

Told ya, don't know shit about ARs :laughing: I have Bolt rifles/Shotguns/Pistols.

#16 ·
Good point. Buy a bunch of magazines while you are at it. The lower is the only part with the serial number on it. It would be very hard if not impossible to ban the rest of the parts, other than the magazines.

#11 · (Edited)
Should the hitlery become the president elect it will definitely be time to start buying before any more regulations come down the pipe.
That's one way do do it, I kind of prefer to buy low and sell high vs wait until the panic had started.

Two months before Obama was reelected I had no problem buying anything I wanted for reasonable price. Two months later idiots were paying $2000 for $600 AR's and $100 for a $10 Pmag.

but is there nothing else that they could try to ban at some point? Mags, interior firing components, etc?
IF they get a nation wide ban passed, that would be the first step. Once they do that and it does nothing to stop illegal acts they will then want something like a Australia's NFA, with registration mandatory for all firearms and you have to turn in the ones they don't want you to have anymore or you are by default a criminal now (the AR would be on that list).

They have had a few amnesties over the years where you can turn them in without going to jail and they destroy them all.

The blanket registration is so they can keep narrowing the list and know where they are, at least the guns least likely to be used in a crime.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

They enacted that in '96 bad things still happen and they keep adding more laws with little effect.

Some studies note the fall in firearms related suicides (major cause of deaths from firearms) while others point out the rise of hanging suicides. No national call to ban rope or bed sheets have been heard, that I know of.

#13 ·
That's one way do do it, I kind of prefer to buy low and sell high vs wait until the panic had started.

Two months before Obama was reelected I had no problem buying anything I wanted for reasonable price. Two months later idiots were paying $2000 for $600 AR's and $100 for a $10 Pmag.
I agree 100%. I meant that more of if he is gonna hold off for now that would be the time to buy before it's too late

#15 ·
After watching some youtube videos, I decided I did not have all the right tools to do the job right so looking for a gun smith to complete my first build, if I can watch, discuss and learn from him. Don't want to botch it up, like getting uneven torque on the treads, or not getting the gas tube on correctly.

#21 · (Edited)
The only special tools you need and may not currently have are a torque wrench and an AR Armory wrench. and these are not needed for assembling a lower. Its generally cheaper to assemble a lower from parts, but to buy an upper complete.

To assemble a lower all you really need is a hammer, a punch and a screwdriver.

A razor blade makes putting the take down pin retainers in pretty easy. I would still recommend doing that inside of a plastic bag in case it attempts an escape. :laughing:

#18 ·
Well I meant to buy one earlier this year, and kept saying "I need to get one before too late". And as usual I'm too late. But with an election year and such I can see Obama trying to push some stuff through since he doesn't give a shit, and with the latest crisis he might have the momentum needed.

So, it's too late. I have to swallow that. But now I need to know build, buy, buy components? I just don't know enough to make a good decision.

#24 ·
I think I may just purchase a complete basic one and then go get a lower while I'm at it. I can build off the lower to learn, but have a complete one (that I didn't build) that actually works. :laughing:

#27 ·
I just want to reiterate that it is really not that hard to assemble your own. There is not much that you can mess up. Buying a basic AR is not a bad way to go either, you can change parts and "upgrade" it as you see fit.

#26 · (Edited)
There are alot of quality/affordable AR's out there.

Between Anderson, Delton, etc. you should be able to find something.

for example....
Complete AR Rifles

What you do is get a basic rifle, or one with some upgrades.
Down the road, you upgrade the components....upper, stock, grip, etc.
Then you finally end up with what you want.
Now... with the extra parts you got leftover....you justify building another.:D

#28 ·
#29 ·
I bought two inexpensive striped lowers the other week when the new CA proposed laws started blowing through the legislation here. Built one already, bought a mid priced complete rifle kit. Minor upgrades to make it a tad nicer. Without the upgraded pistol grip and trigger, my finished 16" mid length A2 style was $620 (full auto BCG, chrome lined, 11" keymod handguard, low pro gas block, 6 position stock). Need to buy sights though.

The other lower (and the damn bullet button we need here) are sitting in the safe.

#30 ·
And please, shop around for an FFL who will do the transfer for $20/25 for a single shipment. At most I'd pay $20 per receiver, but even that is pushing it if you are buying 2 at once.

#33 ·
Well I'm going to go buy the local gun store here and see if they have any Anderson Lowers first. I'm sure the store will be busy.

Anything I need to check ask about the lower? (Special models or BS that make it good or bad?)

I'll probably do like DRM stated and at least get some mags and a lower.

#38 ·
Well I was already on deck to go pick up a S&W MP15 just to learn AR's and have on in the stable. Would be my first.

But I was delaying for this and that because of a big vacation coming up and I just didn't want to spend $800 right now. But with the recent events, and the upcoming election I'm kinda thinking, hmmmmm may not want to delay any more dumbass.
If you don't have 3 or 4 AR's, get them NOW.

Fucknut-in-Chief wants to ban guns again; vacation spots are NOT being banned. Go NEXT year.

#41 ·
I assembled my first AR all by myself using Doc's instruction thread. After that I helped a couple friends assemble theirs as well, and I just assembled my second AR a few months ago. Once you mess around with one for a little while they're really easy to figure out.

I was just in one of the local gun shops today buying a Glock 43 for wife protection and saw that they had a pretty nice AR pistol for $559. I was blown away that they had one that cheap (had nice handguard and fancy barrel). So the panic inflation will take a little while to take effect, if there is any right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.