Walther PPS M2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Walther PPS M2

Question for folks who've got one or have spent much time around them.

how is the trigger feel, if you had to compare it to something else, what would that be? does the reset feel long or crisp?

I've been searching on the internet and can only seem to find things like "buttery smooth" "excellent" "just works" and i'm having a hard time quantifying that in my head.

there are many options to buy it from "the internet" for around $300 new and I'm having kind of a tough time figuring out why i shouldn't have one.

I've never had a CC permit but i'm thinking about going that route and this class of gun is where i'm likely headed. i'll see if i can find one at a local gun store over the next few days to see in person.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_...3364209369?op=

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Last edited by Provience; 04-08-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
I've been eyeing the sig 365. Mainly because of the 12 round capacity.

The biggest thing for me is in this day and age 7 round mags seem silly.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I used to be in that camp as well, haven't been to an indoor range in probably 8 years, but dang there where a couple single stack 9mm that were actually pretty comfortable and reasonable.

XD-S, whatever number the SIG was, some Barretta. Couldn't sleep last night and after much article reading it seemed like the Walther was in the same class and is reasonably cheaper and as good or better performing than the competition.

7 rounds with an extra magazine or two isn't a deal breaker, but being an inch wide or less is kind of appealing for a pocket carry gun.

I dunno, i've been a lifelong open carry person and not anywhere close to everyday with a fullsize.

even reading through OSR it seems like the XDS/MP/Glock-somesuch are the standard responses and seem well liked. i've not shot the glock, but M&P and XD-S are pretty close to the same

Last edited by Provience; 04-08-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 118035
TBH in the $300 range your not getting a "perfect" gun. Your buying a gun that goes bang and is plastic (as long as it not a taurus). Some people like their walther PP series guns, some dont. Ive never owned one, but holding one it seems cheap.

Have you looked into an M&P series pistol? I know they were selling their Shield models for sub $300 around christmas. Those were the best buy you could get for $300 or less. I would suggest that line of pistols before the PP series.

But if youre opening the budget up to $500, you could basically buy from any of the big manufacturers.

What i tell people who are looking to buy a pistol and are unsure, is to go to either a big gun show or a really big gun shop (like cabelas or something). Walk around and put every gun you think you might be interested in your hand. Alot of times the gun you think youll like the most, youll hate as soon as you wrap your fingers around it. Also youll find some gun you werent even considering to be the most comfortable youve ever held.

So, i would suggest that.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
yeah you are probably right on that. i'll probably be going around today or tomorrow and finding somebody that has several and fondle them.

I really felt like the sig was overpriced at nearly $700 for what it was

Old 04-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
welp, went and groped a bunch of single stack 9mm's at cabelas today. i think i'm going to go ahead and pick up the walther. overall and compared to the others, very comfortable to grip.

cabelas was asking about $480 and up for them so it was the same price group there as the MP shield and XDS and glock 43.

considering the lack of very negative responses here, good enough for me.

considering my original question; without doing any real measurements, the trigger reset 'seems' long. the initial break is smooth and somehow it feels about twice as long going out as coming in, if that makes any sense.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 79989
I have a Ruger LC9S pro that I think has a pretty good out of the box trigger. It was bargain basement cheap (under $300) and seems to get good reviews online.

My go to for carry is the Kahr PM9 but it may be out of your price range.

Last edited by ShaggyAnt; 04-10-2018 at 10:58 PM.
ShaggyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATRKS84 View Post
But if youre opening the budget up to $500, you could basically buy from any of the big manufacturers.

What i tell people who are looking to buy a pistol and are unsure, is to go to either a big gun show or a really big gun shop (like cabelas or something). Walk around and put every gun you think you might be interested in your hand. Alot of times the gun you think youll like the most, youll hate as soon as you wrap your fingers around it. Also youll find some gun you werent even considering to be the most comfortable youve ever held.

So, i would suggest that.
You can finger fuck one all you want. It's a different story once you send a few down range.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
the CM9 is, for all intents and purposes according to fit and reliability, the inhouse cheap knock off version of the PM9. it is right in this same price range, damn off to visit another store to see if they have Kahr.

even the PM9 is only $575 at buds gun shop.com

I don't really have a set price range, i was just blown away when i saw that i could get these things in the 500 and less range new the internet is a powerful thing

Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
You can finger fuck one all you want. It's a different story once you send a few down range.
do you have an opinion on the PPS firing a couple rounds off? I didn't look very hard, but i don't remember seeing any at the local rent-a-gun range

Old 04-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
do you have an opinion on the PPS firing a couple rounds off? I didn't look very hard, but i don't remember seeing any at the local rent-a-gun range
I carry a pps gen 1. Comfortable grip, love the thickness. the bore axis is really high so its a bit snappy. good for carry, not sure i would like it as my only gun
Old 04-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
thanks for the feedback.

found a place that had a kahr PM9 over lunch, for my hands anyways, the PPS still seems to have the most comfortable grip. hell, my pinky even lands in a good spot in space under the grip.

It really does feel like it has the widest grip of them all and that helps. probably going to snag one up in the coming days. true or not, the XDS felt like the closest in comfort to me. it seems like many of the MFGs cut away as much weight from the grip as they could and I don't know that it benefited any of them. the overall thickness of the gun is still determined by the slide.

Thanks for the recommendations and insight.

edit: as far as the gen 1, the paddle magazine release is pretty slick but everything else I've got or use has a thumb button and how to put in more bullets is about the last reflex I want to have to change when I need them.

Last edited by Provience; 04-11-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
well figure i'll update this in case somebody stumbles across it in the future.

cost about $350 for purchase, transfer, tax. finally got around to taking it to the range today.

comfortable and ran well. the trigger does not feel long at all, with no data and just my hand, pull is less than half my 92FS double action and some more than the 92fs in single action. trigger reset is predictable and has plenty of feel to it, never felt like i missed it or was unsure of it.

being a single stack and having large hands my wrist is at more of an angle than a fullsize but not uncomfortable. i tend to hit a little to the left with pistols and was consistent with this.

no complaints, the short six round magazine is more comfortable for me than the longer 7 round. ejects magazines well and reloads quickly.

overall, very happy with the purchase

Old 06-05-2018, 06:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 5776
I have carried a Kahr and a 9mm Shield on my hip for several months before selling them.

I’m a more experienced pistol shooter than almost anyone else on this forum.

I now shoot a Q5 Match as my primary competiton handgun, and carry a PPS in an appendix holster every single day. The PPS is the best singlestack 9mm subcompact handgun on the market to actually shoot at speed or fight with.

For shits and grins I shot one in a USPSA match in Limited a few months back. (You can can’t shoot concealed from appendix position in Production.) I won this stage in Limited becasue I ran fricking fast, and had the best fastest hits on the two 25yd partial targets - knowing you have a teeny gun sure means you’re willing to take the time to get those hits:

https://instagram.com/p/BgRXDFthduq/

One more good one:
https://instagram.com/p/BgnJSRllPxk/

You cannot shoot the Shield this fast despite its superior trigger, it just doesn’t respond to a good agressive grip at speed like a fullsize gun. The PPS does. And the Kahr? I loved that gun until I attempted to shoot it in a match. It was sold the next day.

The PPS is the only baby 9mm that fights just like its fullsized varation. The Shield and the G43 come closest, but aren’t quite there.

Last edited by TNToy; 06-05-2018 at 06:54 AM.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
solid videos and feedback

those courses look like fun.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 5776
You’re welcome!

Honestly the big thing the Shield lacks is a grip that locks well into the hand. The fingergrooves and slightly wider grip of the PPS really help. Unlike Glock, they also managed to put the finger grooves where they’re ergonomically helpful.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I thought this was fun, I have about 500 rounds through this thing. Today one of my dots popped off

this is something i read about before buying, figured it wasn't a deal breaker. Walther will cover it and replace the dots but this is also a good excuse to go to some lume paint instead

Name:  IMG_2578.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  40.3 KB

other than that, this thing has just been a joy to shoot and is comfortable to carry.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNToy View Post
I have carried a Kahr and a 9mm Shield on my hip for several months before selling them.

Iím a more experienced pistol shooter than almost anyone else on this forum.

I now shoot a Q5 Match as my primary competiton handgun, and carry a PPS in an appendix holster every single day. The PPS is the best singlestack 9mm subcompact handgun on the market to actually shoot at speed or fight with.

For shits and grins I shot one in a USPSA match in Limited a few months back. (You can canít shoot concealed from appendix position in Production.) I won this stage in Limited becasue I ran fricking fast, and had the best fastest hits on the two 25yd partial targets - knowing you have a teeny gun sure means youíre willing to take the time to get those hits:

https://instagram.com/p/BgRXDFthduq/

One more good one:
https://instagram.com/p/BgnJSRllPxk/

You cannot shoot the Shield this fast despite its superior trigger, it just doesnít respond to a good agressive grip at speed like a fullsize gun. The PPS does. And the Kahr? I loved that gun until I attempted to shoot it in a match. It was sold the next day.

The PPS is the only baby 9mm that fights just like its fullsized varation. The Shield and the G43 come closest, but arenít quite there.
I don't have near the competition experience you do, but I have owned a few compact guns;

A Sig P230S (.380...fuck that). It's gone.

Kahr CW9 (9mm) even after Butler warned me I was going to hate the trigger. It's gone, just couldn't get used to a gun with no (virtually) trigger reset.

XDS (.45) Cool that you can get .45 in such a small gun, but not cool to shoot. It's gone.

Wife has a Gen 3 G26, and I shot it today. At 15 yards I could keep the full mag (12) rounds in the ocular box (zone A) of a B-27 target at my max speed.

I bought a Gen3 G33 (.357 Sig), just because I liked her G26 so much and I wanted some extra power (this when 9mm were somewhat underpowered). Still have it, it lives in my 4Runner.

For EDC I had a Taurus Ti Model 85, it's super light and super comfortable and reasonably accurate, but with only 5 rounds and the hassle of carrying a couple speed loaders, now it mostly sits in the safe.

My current, and I suspect last EDC gun is a Glock 43 with the Surefire light/laser combo, extended mag with Speer Golddots. It's light, it's as accurate as the 26 and 33, comfortable to carry without a holster (clip), and best of all the trigger is just like the G17C and G34 I shoot in comps.

As with any gun dealio, you have to find what works for you.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Quote:
I thought this was fun, I have about 500 rounds through this thing. Today one of my dots popped off.
Good to know. Huh. I immediately drilled the dots out to turn them permanently black. During the day I don’t want any decoration on my rears if I’m given the option. Just the front.

My PPS is waiting for me to get around to installing a set of TruGlo TFX’s sitting in the gun safe, but I’ll do that when I’m cerakoting my custom milled PPQ for Carry Optics and my Q5 Match. Since the sights have to come off the PPS anyway.

Can you tell I’m fond of the walther line much?

Last edited by TNToy; 09-02-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I surely wasn't any better or worse with just the 2 instead of the 3 but it was odd

The truglo sights seem pretty slick, post up some pictures when you get it together on how you like them.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNToy View Post

My PPS is waiting for me to get around to installing a set of TruGlo TFXís sitting in the gun safe,
I have them on my G34 that I use in steel match. This time of year they're bright in the setting sun, but in a couple months these will be night shoots and that tritium works well.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
https://www.waltherarms.com/recall/

Quote:
ONLY SERIAL NUMBERS BELOW ARE AFFECTED BY THE RECALL.

AN3020 through AN9999

AO0001 through AO9999

AP0001 through AP9999

AQ0001 through AQ9999

AR0001 through AR9999

AS0001 through AS9999

AT0001 through AT9999

AU0001 through AU7502

*If you are unsure if your Serial Number is involved in the recall, please email: [email protected]

If your PPS M2 is AN3019 or earlier your handgun is not included in the recall.

If your PPS M2 is AU7503 or later your handgun is not included in the recall.
just got a recall email. haven't check my S/N yet, but figured i'd toss this out for anybody else.

For what it is worth, my wife picked up a bit of a basket case walther PK380 and their customer service was fantastic to work with, i wouldn't hesitate to send anything in to them

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 54666
Quote:
well figure i'll update this in case somebody stumbles across it in the future.

cost about $350 for purchase, transfer, tax. finally got around to taking it to the range today.

comfortable and ran well. the trigger does not feel long at all, with no data and just my hand, pull is less than half my 92FS double action and some more than the 92fs in single action. trigger reset is predictable and has plenty of feel to it, never felt like i missed it or was unsure of it.

being a single stack and having large hands my wrist is at more of an angle than a fullsize but not uncomfortable. i tend to hit a little to the left with pistols and was consistent with this.

no complaints, the short six round magazine is more comfortable for me than the longer 7 round. ejects magazines well and reloads quickly.

overall, very happy with the purchase

PSA has PPS M2 for $270 at the moment. Was an "Easter sale," but it's the same price the day after the sale supposedly ended.

I was going to get a G43, I even had a G43 for a short time, that I gave to a coworker as a going away gift when he and his wife moved away to a high crime rate big city. I fully expected to get myself another.

I went to Academy and did the side-by-side comparison in store. The Walther feels so much better in my hand. Handled the G43X too, still liked the Walther.

Came home and ordered the PPS M2 from PSA.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
nice, i'd pay that for one

turns out, i guess i would hesitate to send mine in for warranty work I carry this thing pretty much every day and haven't 'found the time' to send it back

it is rather nice to be able to put it in my back pocket and still have it be reasonably comfortable to sit on for a bit.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 59610
just got a ccp
has a nice trigger.lshoots gooda. .not too snappy like my lc9.
fits my hand nicely.
my new carry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in