Hard use and abuse: Colt AR15 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Hard use and abuse: Colt AR15

I have wanted to do this for a while now and seeing as how OSR is slow these days, I decided to start this thread.

Here's what is going on: I have a used Colt AR-15 A3 marked lower, heavy barrel, flattop with carry handle site that came to me as a police turn-in. its been used, but still in really good shape. I want to use and abuse this rifle just for the heck of it and see how it goes, so what i will do is leave this rifle in the bed of my ranch truck, all the time. It will lay on the bare metal and bang against everything else in the bed from fence posts, tools, wire, feed, etc. and then i will leave it in an uncovered truck bed day and night, rain or shine, snow or sleet, moderate spring days of 95 degrees through lovingly embraced 105 degree days of July/August/september.

i will do my best to take it out every week,(or when i am at the ranch) put a mag through it, and possibly film it, posting progress and the working condition of the rifle.

Pictures below show the current condition of the rifle. It has an original Surefire 6p on it, and VFG, with a single point sling (moderately useless). i want to remove all the junk on the forearm and the sling and run it like that. The less there is on it, the less to get hung up and caught on everything.

Did i mention that i will most likely be shooting all rounds suppressed through an A2 flashhider mounted can? Let the neglect begin!
Attached Images

Last edited by Texas97; 01-19-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Texas97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 118246
Leaving an unsecured weapon out in the bed of your truck sounds like a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Codyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyy View Post
Leaving an unsecured weapon out in the bed of your truck sounds like a great idea.

haha, i knew there would be one with his panties in a wad. i live on some land where there isnt anyone around. would your feelers be better off if i chained it to the bed?

Old 01-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 118246
...and I knew the answer would be "I have land hurpa durpa".

Bolt cutters or a zip wheel on a cordless grinder laugh at your security measures. As a father, this is a stupid stupid idea.

All of these weapons have been subjected to salt bath and years in the deserts of GWOT and at sea. Seems like literally every result short of throwing it in a lake for a year has been done.

Just wasteful IMO.

Codyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Bolt cutters or a zip wheel on a cordless grinder laugh at your security measures. As a father, this is a stupid stupid idea.
Those items also laugh at 99% of everyone's security measures. What is your point? What does your fatherhood have to do with anything?

Quote:
All of these weapons have been subjected to salt bath and years in the deserts of GWOT and at sea. Seems like literally every result short of throwing it in a lake for a year has been done.

Just wasteful IMO.
im not expecting to tread over some uncharted grounds. I want to see a few things about how the exterior of the gun, trigger, sights, etc and the functionality holds up in my environment. How many rounds fired/days outside/cycles of the season until the gun needs work or cleaning to still be able to fire accurately.

On top of that, at least its not another "what gun should i buy" or gun control law thread.

Maybe just relax and enjoy the entertainment. Nothing is being wasted. If the gun has been tortured so much harder than anything i am throwing at it, like you claim, i should have a pristine, functional rifle for many years to come.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
El Conquistador

Member # 208306
In for how to acquire police turn ins .......
Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Rock View Post
In for how to acquire police turn ins .......
buy them from FFL dealers who do nothing but police turn-in guns.

maybe i should clarify, this is not a gun that was turned in at some gun buy back or amnesty program. This was an issued rifle to a police department somewhere, and when they upgrade their guns, rifles or pistols, these get back into the hands of dealers who then sell them to the public.

More often you see pistols, especially with the change over in calibers in the last 20 years. but occasionally rifles and shotguns are available from different sources.

example:

https://aimsurplus.com/leo-trade-in-...5-auto-handgun

Last edited by Texas97; 01-19-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Texas97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 77207
You should just send that poor rifle to me. I will oil it with loving hands and keep it in a warm, climate controlled safe and would transport it to the range with care for shooting only in fair weather.
I will also post weekly updates if that's what it takes.
Deal? I'll pm you my address.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
Quote:

It wasn’t that long ago that people had gun racks in the back window of their pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
I have wanted to do this for a while now and seeing as how OSR is slow these days, I decided to start this thread.

Here's what is going on: I have a used Colt AR-15 A3 marked lower, heavy barrel, flattop with carry handle site that came to me as a police turn-in. its been used, but still in really good shape. I want to use and abuse this rifle just for the heck of it and see how it goes, so what i will do is leave this rifle in the bed of my ranch truck, all the time. It will lay on the bare metal and bang against everything else in the bed from fence posts, tools, wire, feed, etc. and then i will leave it in an uncovered truck bed day and night, rain or shine, snow or sleet, moderate spring days of 95 degrees through lovingly embraced 105 degree days of July/August/september.

i will do my best to take it out every week,(or when i am at the ranch) put a mag through it, and possibly film it, posting progress and the working condition of the rifle.

Pictures below show the current condition of the rifle. It has an original Surefire 6p on it, and VFG, with a single point sling (moderately useless). i want to remove all the junk on the forearm and the sling and run it like that. The less there is on it, the less to get hung up and caught on everything.

Did i mention that i will most likely be shooting all rounds suppressed through an A2 flashhider mounted can? Let the neglect begin!

Think you need to make sure there is some loose corn, beer cans, feed bags, a gas can, barbwire, and some old wood blocks on back to add to the ambiance.

Post a pic of the truck bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 118035

There were those DPMS Iraqi contractor turn-ins for sale recently and they didn't look that bad. I can guarantee you can't produce an environment similar to daily African contactor abuse in the asshole of Mesopotamia.

Last edited by IEATRKS84; 01-19-2019 at 04:39 PM.
IEATRKS84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
I can tell you exactly what is going to happen.

Exterior: lots of scratches, dings, gouges, loss of paint, perhaps broken plastic. Might break the buffer tube off (broken threads/receiver)

Interior: Rust on BCG, pin, hammer spring, trigger spring. Some unusual wear on bolt face due to lack of lubrication, same for BCG. Some pitting/degradation in barrel head, likely among the lugs.

There I have saved you time and money. You can now sell it to me, I can rip it apart and turn it into a "police issue look alike Gucci gun" and make a few bucks on it.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Basic waste of time, or waddaphawk why not.
So another ugly gun test???
Truck gun belongs behind the seat or in the saddle box.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Baiter

Member # 138976
well i'm in for thread updates, because why the hell not

that said, as long as you run a mag through it weekly, it likely won't get enough down time to seize itself shut. should be dandy

might want some lube every now and then, so once it fails to anything just soak it for a bit

up is difficult, down is dangerous

The largest tax modification in 30 years, check it out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 214685
I love the butthurt from everyone, “oh no don’t not oil it!” “Why would you leave it outside!?” Who cares!? I’m all about this. Real curious to see how it holds up to some abuse.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
I'll watch, but make it fun... drain the oil and coolant out of that truck and pull off the air cleaner, see what dies first.
78bronco460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
I like the idea but have 2 suggestions.

First, attach it to something in the bed so it can’t fly out or be picked up by bandits or bounce abound excessively. Even if it involves ratchet straps and 2x4s.

Second, look down the barrel before you fire it. If it gets stuffed with something or filled with bugs, etc you could wind up with a bunch of metal in you.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I like the idea but have 2 suggestions.

First, attach it to something in the bed so it can’t fly out or be picked up by bandits or bounce abound excessively. Even if it involves ratchet straps and 2x4s.

Second, look down the barrel before you fire it. If it gets stuffed with something or filled with bugs, etc you could wind up with a bunch of metal in you.
I'm definitely with you on clearing the barrel. I have OBA in the truck, can blow it out if need be but I'll check can alignment visually each time after mounting.

Been having second thoughts on using this particular rifle. I really want one with an A2 upper, not flat top with carry handle. Going to be a complete rifle but I'm thinking I may use an actual Army Light Would prefer a 20" barrel but 16" may be what I settle on.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
so what i will do is leave this rifle in the bed of my ranch truck, all the time. !
I thought this was a joke when chiscouter mentioned it in CC in yet another dumb thread about where to store your weapons. Now I know the source
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Cool beans, ran a 20" c7 upper AR for a while without cleaning it. Got to something like 1800 rds before I said 'fuck it' and wiped it down inside. As expected, couldn't even tell after wiping it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
Some unusual wear on bolt face

ETA: oh and fuck the assholes that think shit needs to be locked up, you're the reason there's ugly fucking "posted" signs lining every road

Last edited by [486]; 01-20-2019 at 08:50 AM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Baiter

Member # 138976
Quote:
Been having second thoughts on using this particular rifle.
don't chicken out now!

up is difficult, down is dangerous

The largest tax modification in 30 years, check it out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 95131
Neat!
busyfixin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
I thought this was a joke when chiscouter mentioned it in CC in yet another dumb thread about where to store your weapons. Now I know the source
Ranch truck.
House to ranch.
No where else.

I didn't see the thread but I'm sure you and other liberals are victim blaming someone for getting something stolen if it wasn't in 3 layers of steel or some garbage can RSC. Congrats, the liberals have conditioned you to do their new speak.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
don't chicken out now!
Lol. It's going to still be good
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 166307
I personally love a true A2 upper...
Beat this one and build a serious A2.
Of course I'm just another old g.i. That remembers the armalite fondly.
Who remembers Mickey Mouse???

A2 bolt on sights are to small for my hand to use as a carry handle, my car15 klone works fine.

Last edited by clb 017; 01-20-2019 at 10:23 AM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Quote:
I didn't see the thread but I'm sure you and other liberals are victim blaming someone for getting something stolen if it wasn't in 3 layers of steel or some garbage can RSC. Congrats, the liberals have conditioned you to do their new speak.
This shit right here....is why I don't come here as often. Take that bullshit back to GCC...or better yet, keep it to yourself.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in