S&W MP15 in 22 bolt ALERT - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
S&W MP15 in 22 bolt ALERT

Saw this today!

https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp15-22...Z_tKrvZM3kC4Br
uqc

M&P15-22 CONSUMER SAFETY ALERT

IMPORTANT! M&P15-22 CONSUMER SAFETY ALERT AND INSPECTION PROCEDURE

DESCRIPTION - Please Read This If You Have A M&P15-22 Rimfire Firearm.

PRODUCT AFFECTED:
ALL models of M&P15-22 rifles and pistols manufactured before February 1, 2019.

STOP USING YOUR M&P15-22 UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND YOUR BOLT REPLACED (IF NECESSARY).
Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P15-22 firearms from recent production on which the breech face counter bore depth was not within manufacturing specification. In those firearms, the lack of depth may allow the bolt, upon closing, to crush the rim of the case, causing the round to fire, cycling the bolt, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger. This issue can occur in the following two scenarios:

1) With a loaded magazine in the firearm and the bolt locked to the rear, depressing the bolt release to allow the bolt to drop freely may ignite the round as the bolt closes without engaging the trigger and with the safety selector in either the safe or the fire position, and may also result in multiple discharges.

2) With a loaded magazine in the firearm, bolt in the closed position and a round in the chamber and the safety selector in the fire position, depressing the trigger will cause the round to fire normally, however as the bolt cycles, the next round may be ignited by the bolt crushing the rim of the case as it closes, causing multiple discharges.

We believe that these are isolated incidents, however, any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury. Therefore, we have developed this inspection procedure to ensure that all products in the field are safe to use. We are asking customers to perform the following procedure and to refrain from using their M&P15-22 until the bolt has been inspected and replaced as necessary.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT INVOLVED:
The out of specification condition has been found only in bolts that were recently manufactured. While our investigation suggests that the incidents are isolated, we have established this inspection procedure as a precautionary matter to ensure that all M&P15-22 firearms in service meet our design specifications. We are asking consumers of all M&P15-22 firearms manufactured before February 1, 2019 to inspect their bolt for this condition.

REMEDY/ACTION TO BE TAKEN:
The bolt from your M&P15-22 must be inspected to determine whether it exhibits the condition identified in this notice. To determine whether your firearm is affected by this condition, please inspect your firearm by following the inspection instructions provided here.
DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTION MANUAL | VIEW INSPECTION VIDEO

CLICK HERE FOR FAQ FACT SHEET - Questions and Answers Re: M&P15-22 Safety Alert!
If you are uncomfortable in conducting the bolt inspection outlined here, or are unsure whether the condition described in this notice applies to your bolt, please send your bolt to Smith & Wesson for inspection and replacement if necessary.

SERIAL NUMBER VERIFICATION TOOL
To determine if the Safety Alert applies to your M&P15-22 firearm, please utilize our serial number verification tool.
Note that this Alert applies to ALL M&P15-22 firearms manufactured before February 1, 2019
Old 03-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 397210
This is the one that has been around for a while I think. Steel Challenge and other competitions are/were banning those rifles until for a bit.
non-OP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Whoops! Someone didnt make the pocket deep enough for the rim.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 95763
I ordered my gauge yesterday.

I checked it with a 22 round. It doesn't protrude. I've fired shitloads of ammo through mine with the only issue was the extractor flying off a couple years ago.

S&W fixed it for free.
KarlVP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-OP View Post
This is the one that has been around for a while I think. Steel Challenge and other competitions are/were banning those rifles until for a bit.
It may have been re-released, but that was a new statement from S&W.

I didn't know they were accurate enough for competitions. lol
Old 03-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 533258
Appleseed has prohibited them for several years now. I think they were the first.
Don. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5776
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
Steel challenge is a speed shoot - five targets 8” or larger in diameter as fast as you can go. Only a few of the shots are further than 20 yards.

Since it was originally a highspeed handgun sport, the targets are big and close.

Last edited by TNToy; 03-14-2019 at 02:59 PM.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNToy View Post
, the targets are big and close.
Sounds like just my speed!

:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
Fishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 95763
Got my gauge from S&W today. Mine is in tolerance.

I could see how a shitload of carbon buildup could easily change that though.
KarlVP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
It may have been re-released, but that was a new statement from S&W.

Iíve had mine for quite a few years now and itís not too bad accurate wise for what it is. I love it because itíll eat any ammo I toss at it. I had a colt and it was very picky. It required heavy hot loads to make it cycle. It had way more metal in its construction compared to the S&W also. I also have a Schmeisser GSG-STG44. Never ran it yet but I have a feeling itís going to require heavy hot loads also to cycle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in