Texas Folks, Pig Hunting on Private Property? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
Texas Folks, Pig Hunting on Private Property?

Our 17 year old son is going to Texas to hunt wild pigs on his friendís private property. Weíre trying to verify if he need a hunting license or not. Weíve no idea if all wild pigs on private property fall under depredation, or is the land owner needs to prove such, or if a depredation permit is needed. Our son canít get that answer from his friends.
Next, from what Iíve read, land owners and ďagentsĒ donít need a hunting license for hunting depredating wild pigs. What is considered an ďagentĒ?

We called the Texas fish and wildlife (forgot the actual agency name), and they said he does need to get a 5 day non-resident license, but they were pretty quick to respond and Iím not sure they understood the private property part.

My gut says have him get the $48 license to be safe, but heís paying for the trip, ao I donít want him to waste his money.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Technically, Yes he will need a hunting license and if you want to really go by the rules, he needs the tx hunter safety course too.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...nter-education

“Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a hunter education training course. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting.”

Edit: this might help a bit on this, but it’s amazing how many people don’t have a hunter’s safety certificate and should.
“Age 17 and over: You must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a "Hunter Education Deferral" and be accompanied.
"Accompanied" means: by a person (resident or non-resident) who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control.”

I get my license every year, but only carry it on me if I’m shooting deer, dove or any other “game” animal. When I’m at our farm shooting hog, coons and such, I don’t have it with me. It’s not actually right, but whatever.

When my dad’s buddy comes in from Maryland to hang out at our farm for a week or so, he gets a hunting license.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...nnual/hunting/

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list

Last edited by Rttoys; 07-11-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
Technically, Yes he will need a hunting license and if you want to really go by the rules, he needs the tx hunter safety course too.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...nter-education
Does Texas accept out of state hunter safety certs? It isn't clear from the link.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
For what it's worth regarding licenses, you are allowed a 1-year deferral on the hunter safety course, so if this is a one-time deal, get the deferral and not worry about taking the course. You can, however, take the course entirely online. I do believe I read somewhere on the website that out-of-state hunters safety courses are valid, but I could be wrong.

It's confusing because the laws changed earlier this year regarding hunting wild hogs, and the texas parks and wildlife website likely won't be updated until the law is in effect.

The law was signed May 31, and goes into effect on Sep 1st, 2019, and it will become legal to hunt hogs without a license on private property with landowner permission. They also strike the depredation wording from the law, so there will be no need to prove damages caused.

Prior to that, you would technically be required to have a license, but between you and me, the amount of times I've been hassled for a hunting license on private property is exactly zero. And if you're hunting pigs in Texas, I'd have a hard time believing any GW would give you trouble.

They're also striking Landowner's Agent or Lessee from the text as well. I'm no lawyer, so I'll let someone else interpret what that means...
Old 07-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Does Texas accept out of state hunter safety certs? It isn't clear from the link.
Over the phone, they said theyíd accept his CA hunting license as proof of a hunter safety very. I couldnít verify that online though.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
Over the phone, they said they’d accept his CA hunting license as proof of a hunter safety very. I couldn’t verify that online though.
yes they will accept CA hunter safety. Its attached to GO ID number so all states see it. I was just there hunting hogs. I bought the 5 day license. And tell him to bring back as much ammo as he is comfortable with stuffing in his case!!

Last edited by samy crawler; 07-11-2019 at 09:27 AM.
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 79509
The safety course is a joke. It's basically a fix it ticket, if you're caught without it... The punishment is to take the course like defensive driving.

I've had the game warden roll up more than once on private property, not once did he ask to see my safety certs.

IIRC, no license needed for hogs or coyotes. Their not considered "game" like a deer or squirrel.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Iím just making sure the info is in front of him, so if by chance the GW pops up, heís covered. If he/they want to do any of these things or not, is up to them.

And yes bring plenty of ammo or hit academy on the way out. Thereís tons of hogs to be had,
Attached Images

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
The safety course is a joke. It's basically a fix it ticket, if you're caught without it... The punishment is to take the course like defensive driving.

I've had the game warden roll up more than once on private property, not once did he ask to see my safety certs.

IIRC, no license needed for hogs or coyotes. Their not considered "game" like a deer or squirrel.
in the great state of commifornia, you cannot get a hunting license without the safety course. But i agree course is a joke. I saw alot of stupid people pass.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy crawler View Post
in the great state of commifornia, you cannot get a hunting license without the safety course. But i agree course is a joke. I saw alot of stupid people pass.
I got zero issues with folks taking a safety course before they hunt. In my years in Colorado, I witnessed many would be expert hunters who did not know basic things and were a danger to themselves and the rest of us.

It doesn't have to be 'hard' just explain and teach the main concepts that keep folks safe when using a weapon.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 70825
I believe they just passed a bill specifically allowing you to hunt hogs without a permit.

Looks like its not active till Sept.

https://texasoutdoordigest.com/hunti...-in-september/
Old 07-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
I got zero issues with folks taking a safety course before they hunt. In my years in Colorado, I witnessed many would be expert hunters who did not know basic things and were a danger to themselves and the rest of us.

It doesn't have to be 'hard' just explain and teach the main concepts that keep folks safe when using a weapon.
totally agree...just saying the way Black Sheep was talking about was implying hunting without taking the course , which means hunting without a hunting license.

Last edited by samy crawler; 07-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy crawler View Post
totally agree...just saying the way Black Sheep was talking about was implying hunting without taking the course , which means hunting without a hunting license.
Boy, I struggle on that a bit. I think having tags etc for game (elk, bison, deer, etc) is fine for doing things to improve habitat and to provide for game mangement... but needing a tag for nuisances (wild pigs are like gigantic rats to me) is kinda crazy.

We had a terrible problem at our place when we got it... it took a couple of years (and there is a law about ammo down there too) but we scotched it. It was a little frustrating with the rules, but we worked through it.

I think I read there are many more guns than people in the US... I know we have many more guns than people in our household, education does work to a degree, it is strange that hunter safety and gun safety courses are not a thing offered at every public library.... but, then again, driver's ed at school stopped long ago.... and in California, driving is as common as walking...
Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 50525
Interesting. It has been the case for a long time that you donít need a license for hogs here, as long as youíre not on a WMA. I emailed Fish and Game here to get confirmation that itís legal to hunt them at night on general public land with no license. Yep.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
Boy, I struggle on that a bit. I think having tags etc for game (elk, bison, deer, etc) is fine for doing things to improve habitat and to provide for game mangement... but needing a tag for nuisances (wild pigs are like gigantic rats to me) is kinda crazy.

We had a terrible problem at our place when we got it... it took a couple of years (and there is a law about ammo down there too) but we scotched it. It was a little frustrating with the rules, but we worked through it.

I think I read there are many more guns than people in the US... I know we have many more guns than people in our household, education does work to a degree, it is strange that hunter safety and gun safety courses are not a thing offered at every public library.... but, then again, driver's ed at school stopped long ago.... and in California, driving is as common as walking...
Around here you need a permit even for varmints which pigs seem like they would fall under. Coyotes, etc. But it's any kind of a permit. A fishing license will cover it, or a deer tag, or a fur bearer's, etc.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 42503
For the $48 I would just get the license to cover myself, all he needs is a fish cop giving him a ticket and to fight it he would spend way more than that commuting back and forth to Texas.
Spork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019, 05:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 774777
The correct answer is. It depends. If hes going there sport hunting, then yes he needs a license. If the land owner is engaging in depredation because the feral hogs are destroying land, crops, or livestock and he is an agent of the landowner then no.

Technically being an agent means he is getting paid by the landowner. Either as a ranch hand or to just kill hogs. In most cases of depredation, the landowner has notified fish and game that at some point they will be eradicating hogs. Its not just "well I think tonight Im going to go kill a hog or two". While most fish cops really dont care about killing wild hogs either way. You get one that thinks youre hunting other animals and you dont have a license youre screwed.
Have him check with his buddy. If its a farm with crops, dont sweat it. If its a hunt camp, buy the license.
Stuckntx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Not sure when your boy is heading here but as of September 1st no license required

Quote:
Feral hogs cause an estimated $52 million in damages to Texas agricultural each year. A new law that was recently signed by Governor Greg Abbott may help control the wild hog population.

HB 317 loosens the licensing requirements for wild hog hunting.

Wichita County Game Warden Tyler Reed said before HB 317 was passed, only landowner’s or their agents could hunt hogs without a license if the hogs were destroying their land.

Now, any person can hunt hogs with the landowner’s consent. They no longer have to have a license. Tyler Reed said that this could help the battle farmers have against wild hogs.

But for anyone looking to pick up wild hog hunting, it may still be best to get a hunting license anyway.

“If you hunt anything else, you have to have a license. So, if people are out hunting hogs and they shoot a rabbit, or a racoon, or any other animal, they still have to have a hunting license for that,” Reed stated.

He also added that the new law only applies to private property. So, hunting wild hogs on public land still requires a hunting license.

The law takes effect September 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in