School me on reloading - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
4x4 ADD

Member # 23026
School me on reloading

Calif resident and I don't want Gavin knowing what I have.

I have never reloaded any cartridges or shells and have multiple calibers needed.

Looking for a complete as possible kit that I can use for years. I know I will need dies for each caliber and are sold individually, but any advice would be good.

Edit looking at the Hornaday Lock-N-Load AP Auto Progressive Press

Last edited by noclinkers; 08-07-2019 at 09:18 PM.
noclinkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Hard to go wrong with a Dillon progressive if you have the money. I use a Lee single stage for rifle and dont see the need for a progressive stage press for me. I do recommend anyone new start out running single stage even if you have a progressive machine. It is a good way to ensure you take your time and have your shit together. Mistakes are costly!
I can easily bang out 500 rounds if I do my brass prep work ahead of time. So I donít shoot enough to justify a progressive press. Buddy got one for his first. Didnít head my advice and ended up with a batch of slightly overcharged rounds for his .308. Thats a bad day and he sent his rifle in to a smith after firing the first round. Ended up being ok but he had to pull down his entire batch and wasted time and some money.

Lots on here are much more experienced than I and should chime in shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Any kit from any of the major sources are fine. There are so many strong opinions on this that they are virtually worthless. Lee is priced less and just works. And on up into 4x the Lee cost for the luxury of getting what you want to spend money on. But do yourself a favor. Purchase at least two manuals and read them. Speer, Berger, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady just do it. Have a quiet, clean well lit location to load that is away from interference and interruption. Those two things cause more errors than anything else.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclinkers View Post
Edit looking at the Hornaday Lock-N-Load AP Auto Progressive Press
Best to start off with a single stage and a couple good reloading manuals. You will always need a single stage press.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Might be happier with a turret. Not as fast as a progressive but not as complicated either.

I load on a Lee Classic Turret but there are others. Kits are available that are OK but you will find other tools you'll want.

You should be able to get started for around $300-ish. .45ACP is about the easiest & most forgiving caliber to start with.

They got the ammo. Components are next. I got into casting a couple years ago. A logical next step after reloading.

:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]
Fishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Progressive will do everything you want, it just takes longer to set up and tune than a single stage. You will need shell plates for every caliber, a good scale not a cheap electric one. I like balance beam scales because I've had electric ones go bad. For sizing brass just get the lee stuff and hook it to a drill. I'd also get a lee or RCBS hand primer. For a tumbler get whatever is cheap and the magic lyman green media. Watch some video's, ask questions, get a good book, be prepared to pull some loads apart when it doesn't work out.
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 397210
My progressive Hornady L-n-L was setup easily. No different really than setting up a single stage for each process. Just more moving brass and bullets back and forth since the plate rotates every time you adjust/test.
non-OP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Pistol, or rifle or both?

I generally recommend starting on a single stage and moving up to progressive once you get familiar with it. Iím loading on a single stage turret press, but will be buying a progressive soon. I load mostly rifle though, and will do a handgun batch maybe a few times a year.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
4x4 ADD

Member # 23026
I will be loading rifle , pistol and shotgun. I have a MEC versamec 700 for the shotgun.
With all the advice given, I am looking at the Lee turret kit and then upgrade scale and cartridge trimmer.
I want all my stuff to be manual if I can. No power, no problem.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
4x4 ADD

Member # 23026
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-OP View Post
My progressive Hornady L-n-L was setup easily. No different really than setting up a single stage for each process. Just more moving brass and bullets back and forth since the plate rotates every time you adjust/test.
I like the Hornady for the locking of the dies. Looks like it make switching
calibers easier.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
4x4 ADD

Member # 23026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Progressive will do everything you want, it just takes longer to set up and tune than a single stage. You will need shell plates for every caliber, a good scale not a cheap electric one. I like balance beam scales because I've had electric ones go bad. For sizing brass just get the lee stuff and hook it to a drill. I'd also get a lee or RCBS hand primer. For a tumbler get whatever is cheap and the magic lyman green media. Watch some video's, ask questions, get a good book, be prepared to pull some loads apart when it doesn't work out.
Good advice, thanks.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
4x4 ADD

Member # 23026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
Might be happier with a turret. Not as fast as a progressive but not as complicated either.

I load on a Lee Classic Turret but there are others. Kits are available that are OK but you will find other tools you'll want.

You should be able to get started for around $300-ish. .45ACP is about the easiest & most forgiving caliber to start with.

They got the ammo. Components are next. I got into casting a couple years ago. A logical next step after reloading.
Thanks. I think I will get this one and upgrade a few pieces.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 397210
I started reloading with a progressive for pistol. Its not hard at all, just be patient and get a powder cop and learn to set it up correctly. I have died and powder cops for all my calibers. Bought a second lower assembly for the powder drop. One works for 9mm and 45acp. The other for 44 and 357.

Single stage for my 6.5 though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
non-OP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Quote:
Thanks. I think I will get this one and upgrade a few pieces.
You want the "Classic" not the "Deluxe." The press itself is great. The turrets & dies are fine. The plastic accessories tend toward the cheesy but they generally work.

The new Safety Prime is garbage. When my old one wore out I gave up trying to make the new POS work & bought a Frankford Arsenal hand primer.

The Lee hand primer is plastic and will blow up the first time a primer is slightly misaligned. Buy once, cry once.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 134532
Quote:
calibers easier.

https://leeprecision.com/lock-ring-eliminator.html
djelliott916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
calibers easier.
The downside is you'll need those special locking bushings for every single caliber you load. Just add that to the price of dies for every pistol caliber you'll want to load. 9, 223, 308, 22-250, 45, 380, 270, 30-06, 40 S&W, and whatever else you'd want. It adds up quickly.

I'd say Dillon 550 because it's a good in-between. Not a single stage in that it does multiple steps with the pull of one handle, and not a progressive because you manually rotate the shells. What ever you end up picking just watch TONS of youtube videos. For rifle you're going to be trimming every single case, and doing a lot of case work so I'd suggest buying some kind of "case prep center" thing like this. It just makes it easier. Especially when you're doing it to 1,000 cases. One advantage of the Dillon is you can have your entire rifle setup on a tool head ready to go, pull two pins and with a different tool head you switch to pistol. It's pretty much the same thing as the lock and load bushings though.

As a fair warning, you're behind the curve of "fuck the governor" and reloading components are going to be hard to come by. Same thing happened when people were having hard times trying to find ammo. "I'm going to reload because then you just buy the stuff" and people stated finding out reloaders buy shit in BULK. $200 8 pound kegs of powder, $40 packs of 1,000 primers, and $1 bullets are GONE.

I'd personally avoid Lee. RCBS, Dillon and Hornady are the most common brands used for a reason.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 188446
I have a dillon 650, Dillon 550 and a single stage.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Dillon 550. The manual indexing makes it much easier to do precision rifle rounds or do 'ladders'. When you get in a rhythm, it loads plenty fast. Caliber conversions are cheaper than the 650.

Many people advise against progressives. I think anybody who can work on their car/off road buggy can handle a progressive. Unless you are a one of those chronic bolt stripper/breaker guys. You just need to think about whats going on once in a while and not 'force' things.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Told ya !!

I have my original Lee hand primer. And a new one. The old one I got in 1996 with a $100 (1996$$) Anniversary kit and the new one a coupe years ago. They are not broken nor are they garbage. A complete Lee single stage kit is about $150 without die (s). A single Lee die set, 2-die, 3-dies, or 4-dies pistol runs from about $30 to $45. You can get very good hand loaded ammo set up for well under $200. The "cheap" Lee powder scale will perform as well as any, any digital electronic one. It holds zero and will deflect with a single granule of H4831. End of story. People just can't stand shit that is stone axe simple, functional and just fucking works. All day long. Go to 6mmBr.com if you want insane benchrest loading advice. You can add a Lee turret press later for $100 - $130 depending on which model, and any other up to and the Dillon for a couple of car payments. Peeps that load LARGE quantities of handgun get all giggly with a Dillon, without hesitation. You can dip in the shallow end and keep all the Lee inexpensive, under $200 and keep it forever.

Get a couple of reloading manuals.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
4x4 ADD

Member # 23026
Thanks for all the advice
What y'all think of this one?

lyman

Last edited by noclinkers; 08-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 159257
It's a complete kit, saves space vs most of the other progressives, has enough hold for a 3 or 4 die pistol set and 2 rifle die sets. Works like a single stage in that you'll prime 50 cases, add powder to 50 cases, then seat and crimp bullets for 50 cases. Personally I'd still go with a Dillon, but I don't think you'd be doing anything wrong going with this setup, or any single stage press. I started on an RCBS mounted on a folding workbench in my apartment. I did batches of depriming everything, tumbling, and repriming everything so when I wanted to go shooting all I had to do was powder and bullets. Seemed to crank out ammo really quickly that way without realizing it's slower than a progressive press. Mostly because you forget how much time you spent doing the other stuff. Reloading pistol is WAY easier than rifle and I shot a LOT of pistol when I started reloading.

You're going to need a tumbler and some kind of bullet puller for when you seat one too deep, or discover you haven't added powder to some.

EDIT: If you REALLY want a nice setup there is a Dillon 650 with case feeder in Reno for $2,000. comes with dies for 223 and 6.5 creedmor. Guy says it has the scale, tumbler and powder.

oh yeah, if you think you'll save money by reloading you won't. You'll go shooting more.

There is also a Dillon 550 setup in Sacramento for $650 on Armslist. 5 dies, conversions, 3 tool heads with powder dies. Not a bad deal.

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 08-09-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: more data.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Personally Im more a fan of RCBS, then again everything I have/use is sorta vintage...
Newest hardware is a RCBS rockchucker single stage and a Lyman black powder measure. More vintage are the CH and the Herters #3 "C" presses. Also, happen to use a nutcracker for both 30-30 and decapping 45-70.

So, given 3 presses all in a row exactly why would I need a stage or progressive press?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post

So, given 3 presses all in a row exactly why would I need a stage or progressive press?
So you don't have to move

I do most of my reloading on a RCBS single stage. I have a lee pro 1000 for doing .223/9mm/.45 acp when I want to do some volume. The primer system sucks on the 1000, so I just hand prime and it works well enough that way. I switch calibers way too much to deal with most progressive setups. I find myself doing lots of 15 round test batches, then 50-100 rounds after that.

With the lee 1000 I can crank out 1000 rnds in cold winter day, not super fast but good enough for me. I usually crimp and inspect on my single stage though.
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
The "cheap" Lee powder scale will perform as well as any, any digital electronic one. It holds zero and will deflect with a single granule of H4831. End of story. People just can't stand shit that is stone axe simple, functional and just fucking works.
Never understood the hate for that scale. I had zero problems with it and like ya said... dead simple to use. Only thing was that it kinda needs to be at eye level to read easily.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Chris did a,good thread here years ago about getting started. I went RCBS, then zwitched to Redding Turrett for my precision 6.5CM and .223. Will eventually get a Dillon 650 for bulk. Also I prefer ultrasonic to tumbler for getting inside and outside clean and carbon free. Got one on Amazon.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 17904
single stage for precision rifle ammo. I have a Dillon 650 for .223 and handgun ammo. I can knock out 800 rounds of 9mm in an hour, about 650-700 .223. splurge and get the 650. the price should come down with the new one releasing now.
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in