Body armor? Steel plate? Fiber? What to get. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
don't know nothin'

Member # 136902
Body armor? Steel plate? Fiber? What to get.

What is the good stuff? Is steel the way to go? I am thinking stop .308 . Unrealistic?
ridenby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
steel is the way to go.

what distance do you want to stop .308? that will change your thickness

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Class IV ceramic plates, better than ar500 plates and under a $100 per plate now. You should look at youtube reviews. Class IV will stop 30 cal AP, class 3 will stop 30 cal non AP.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 213125
There is a company selling poly plates that will stop FMJ .50 BMG. I think they weight 3 pounds a piece.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
i guess application is important.

i just can't recommend storming the local atf office with anything less than steel. ceramic can take several hits, but not nearly as many as steel

can poly take more than 1 ?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post

i just can't recommend storming the local atf office with anything less than steel. ceramic can take several hits, but not nearly as many as steel

What he said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 685826
I wear rma defense level 4 plates and canít complain. They are multi hit rated for ap 30-06. Level 4 in steel is crazy. Ceramic still is heavy. Are you looking for an all day plate or just in a tac vest for certain situations?
Toyota97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 121794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post

Isn't spalling an issue with Steel plates?
Old 09-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 111524
interesting timing, was doing a lot of reading on this yesterday.

Consensus seems to be AR500 is heavy as shit, and you're still going to get spall even with rhino liner.

here's what i lean towards:

Hesco 3810 Level III+ SAPI plate

OR

RMA Level III+ plates muti-curve

with a Crye Precision JPC
Old 09-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
Isn't spalling an issue with Steel plates?
I think spalling is an issue with all of them. They do make coatings/covers to reduce it. I can imagine spalling could suck, but the alternative not so hot either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Without any real experience steel seems like it could suck due to spalling. Even if it stops the round if the jacket hits an artery your still dead.

I found a local guy with Armorwear Lvl 3+ plates for $200 for a pair. lighter and may not spall. I know the ceramic may not hold up as well to multiple hits, but this is only for shtf get the hell out of dodge use. If I'm somewhere taking multiple 308 hits I need to find cover or one is going to get lucky and take out my head anyway.

Someone could have done some real testing on this with the Area 51 idiots this weekend, give a few steel, a few ceramic, etc. See first hand what the results are.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
Consensus seems to be AR500 is heavy as shit,
I've tried on a full (4 plate) vest in steel. It was heavy, but it's not like I couldn't run a hundred yards with it. I bet I could run more than that if someone was after me with a 308.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
I've tried on a full (4 plate) vest in steel. It was heavy, but it's not like I couldn't run a hundred yards with it. I bet I could run more than that if someone was after me with a 308.

you have to be a little smarter than that. Think of the potential situation in which you would use the armor, and think that vest you were wearing was conservatively 20 lbs. now think about carrying the weight of a rifle, pistol, ammo, water etc.

id want max protection with as little weight as possible.

and FWIW, ive trained and worked out in weight vests for years. last session i did with a weight vest before starting to train for a boxing match was running a hilly mile with a 30 lb vest in 7:37. im familiar with vests and their weights.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
you have to be a little smarter than that. Think of the potential situation in which you would use the armor, and think that vest you were wearing was conservatively 20 lbs. now think about carrying the weight of a rifle, pistol, ammo, water etc.

id want max protection with as little weight as possible.

and FWIW, ive trained and worked out in weight vests for years. last session i did with a weight vest before starting to train for a boxing match was running a hilly mile with a 30 lb vest in 7:37. im familiar with vests and their weights.
I am trying to think of a situation I would use it. I'm not police or army. I'm not a bank robber. So the only thing I can think of is our society broke down and I need to go to town to get some bread. Might want to ware it in the car.

By the way, you are in some serious shape. I'm guessing I'm in better shape than 80 percent of the population, but If I have to run a mile with my rifle in under ten minutes (my life depends on it) I'm probably dead.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Ceramic is my choice. Seriously, if you are taking more than 1 round, you are in a world of pain anyways.

I always laugh at the argument "But steel can take 20 shots of xxxx". Mothfukle, if you take 20 rds to a steel plate, you are going to be spitting blood for a bit anyways from the trauma alone haha.
I would rather have less weight to carry and be maneuverable than to be a juggernaut heavybody who fumble fucks around just to get to cover.

Will AR500 work? Yup. Is it heavier? Definitely. Spalling? Can be mostly contained. It would be best to wrap the plate in a multi-layer kevlar pouch to help contain it on the edges. Pick up an old level iia or iiia vest and use that soft armor to make your pouch. You arent trying to keep the round from penetrating to the armor... just trying to keep it from coming out.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_JEEPER View Post
Ceramic is my choice. Seriously, if you are taking more than 1 round, you are in a world of pain anyways.

I always laugh at the argument "But steel can take 20 shots of xxxx". Mothfukle, if you take 20 rds to a steel plate, you are going to be spitting blood for a bit anyways from the trauma alone haha.
I would rather have less weight to carry and be maneuverable than to be a juggernaut heavybody who fumble fucks around just to get to cover.

Will AR500 work? Yup. Is it heavier? Definitely. Spalling? Can be mostly contained. It would be best to wrap the plate in a multi-layer kevlar pouch to help contain it on the edges. Pick up an old level iia or iiia vest and use that soft armor to make your pouch. You arent trying to keep the round from penetrating to the armor... just trying to keep it from coming out.
if you are storming area 51 and your homeboys don't show up to party you better be ready for +20

or if you deliver papers in L.A.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Well if you are assuming the proper running position.... it really isn't a concern now is it

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 09-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
don't know nothin'

Member # 136902
Thought provoking. I like the steel for multiple hits. Thinking pistol rounds there. Figure .308 for worse case. .50 or 12.5 fuck it. 11x14 curved with linex.
ridenby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenby View Post
Thought provoking. I like the steel for multiple hits. Thinking pistol rounds there. Figure .308 for worse case. .50 or 12.5 fuck it. 11x14 curved with linex.
pistol rounds? soft vest will take several of those.

multiple high velocity rounds is where the ceramic or steel come in to play.

I have ceramic plates inside a soft carrier for work. I have not been shot and don't plan (as much as you get a choice) to be shot multiple times while being alone, so the weight savings makes it ideal.

in the event of a killdozer, steel like a fuckin' knight plate armor with 1/2" chest and 3/8" elsewhere and 1/4" everything else ar500 is the clear winner

Old 09-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4387
If someone is shooting at you with 50 BMG AP you’re pretty well fawked no matter what kind of plates. There also isn’t much 30 cal AP around. I’m looking at the cheap class IV plates botach sells, they have pretty good reviews and are 5 lbs, about 1/2 ar 500 plates.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 05:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 118035
if multiple rounds hitting you COM is something that concerns you, Why not wrap all your extremities in Ar500? Like a medevil knight or something?

Hint, you guys are over thinking it. Body armor is meant to protect your vital organs and give you a better chance of surviving a single shot. Mutiple 30AP rounds to the chest is not a situation you should be in and body armor is not going to save you. Because if youre getting hit multiple times in the chest, you are 100% getting hit in your arm, legs, neck, pelvis or head as well. Which, getting hit in the pelvis with a 30AP round is basically a death sentence.

Last edited by IEATRKS84; 09-20-2019 at 05:05 AM.
IEATRKS84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 154867
I'm just amazed this is such a hot topic. I mean, it's interesting. But what the heck do you guys expect to have to deal with? Being armed makes you better prepared than 90% of people. Body armor seems... well, unnecessary.

This is what I picture, by the way.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Train/prepare for the worst, hope for the best

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 09-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Hey, do any of you guys know which armored personnel carrier is easiest to register and tag? I'm looking for a new daily driver. I'm getting prepared.

OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 118035
wait.... doesnt the OP have a serious grudge against the local police?

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in