Bluetooth or non Earbuds for Shooting Noise Protection - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 173487
Bluetooth or non Earbuds for Shooting Noise Protection

I have a good set of noise reduction headphones for shooting, but when shooting out of position, they interfere with my rifle stock. I’m looking for a set of the electronic noise cancelling earbuds for shooting. The Peltor and Otto models look great, but don’t offer Bluetooth (which would be nice for other use like mowing and chainsawing, working around the house, etc).

Any recommendations on good earbuds for shooting, with electronic noise cancellation and good NRR? Preferable lay with Bluetooth if available?
Spiritof76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48233
I use 3m Worktunes for mowing and chainsawing. They're not earbuds. They look like standard hearing protection but have Bluetooth built in and microphone so you can have a phone conversation without taking them off.. I think they're $50

My only complaint of them is that the microphone pics up all the outside noise from the conversation. They pickup the sound of springtime crickets, the clomping and stomping of my shoes going up and down stairs, anything that might fall in the background. So its a highly sensitive microphone but if I'm just listening to a podcast or music, they work great

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
ive looked around on a few occasions for electronic ear bud hearing protection.

have looked hard at the "3M PELTOR TEP-200 Tactical Earplug Kit, NRR 23dB, Rechargeable" but the price tag is hard to jump in on with the mixed reviews ive seen. Some say they are great, others say they are just ok.

but no bluetooth and for $350, thats a deal breaker.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 57170
The only BT, noise canceling in ear pro that I've found. New co. so no idea if they are legit.

https://grizzly-ears.com/

EDIT: Interestingly just saw a source that says the 2 below are one and the same.

Top noise canceling in ear-pro according to the interwebs. 100's of reviews on both.

40db reduction active 15db passive(dead batteries)
https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/he...ion/gsp15.html

40db active 15db passive
https://www.otto-comm.com/noizebarri...ing-protection

Last edited by SEREvince; 11-18-2019 at 09:07 AM.
SEREvince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 173487
The Otto are rechargeable, but not Bluetooth.

The grizzly ears look interesting!
Spiritof76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
I think I'm going to ask the wife for the grizzlies for my birthday.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
I think I'm going to ask the wife for the grizzlies for Christmas.
Subscribed

Just have to assure her that it will not drown HER out . . . .

Last edited by Lil Uzi; 11-19-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Lil Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
None of the electronics are all that good. Most are 21-23 nrr. Good plugs are 32-34nrr.

Because of this, if I'm shooting unsuppressed I just put plugs in and wear my walkers. The electric muffs allow me to hear others talking, but the plugs help take the edge off.

I've never found a set of electronics that don't leave my ears slightly sore after awhile, I think the split second it takes them to cut out adds up.

My Dad loves the Walker ear buds for shotgun, but doesn't think they work enough for rifle. He's got tinnitus from 20+ years of firearms instruction and shooting being his main hobby.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man View Post
None of the electronics are all that good. Most are 21-23 nrr. Good plugs are 32-34nrr.

Because of this, if I'm shooting unsuppressed I just put plugs in and wear my walkers. The electric muffs allow me to hear others talking, but the plugs help take the edge off.

I've never found a set of electronics that don't leave my ears slightly sore after awhile, I think the split second it takes them to cut out adds up.

My Dad loves the Walker ear buds for shotgun, but doesn't think they work enough for rifle. He's got tinnitus from 20+ years of firearms instruction and shooting being his main hobby.
I do the same thing. Especially at the range when a guy nearby is running a brake on a rifle or an ar pistol.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 45243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritof76 View Post
I have a good set of noise reduction headphones for shooting, but when shooting out of position, they interfere with my rifle stock. Iím looking for a set of the electronic noise cancelling earbuds for shooting. The Peltor and Otto models look great, but donít offer Bluetooth (which would be nice for other use like mowing and chainsawing, working around the house, etc).

Any recommendations on good earbuds for shooting, with electronic noise cancellation and good NRR? Preferable lay with Bluetooth if available?
https://www.goaxil.com/ghost-stryke-series/

ToddRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2019, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
TR
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 2877
I use iso tunes pro 27NRR

https://isotunes.com/products/isotunes-pro-2
Old 12-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRH View Post
have you used these? or any of the other ones that are not tethered?
Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 45243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
have you used these? or any of the other ones that are not tethered?
Yes.

Go to the website via the link.

Look at what they offer.

_
ToddRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
I just bought these. I have Howard Leights which are OK, but they're not as fast acting as the Champions, and I have a set of Peltor 500's with gell pads which are awesome unless it's warm then your ears and head sweat like crazy.

The Champions are shaped to not interfere with cheek weld and they are very fast acting. That being said, I usually use foam plugs as well.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREvince View Post
The only BT, noise canceling in ear pro that I've found. New co. so no idea if they are legit.

https://grizzly-ears.com/
just spent 2 days with these in my ears hunting and a few hundred rounds of 12 gauge spent within a couple of feet of my ears.

initial impressions:

-i didnt mess with the ear plug end size, but i should have. they give you about 12 pair in about 4 different sizes. i was out running around with my shotgun chasing stuff up and down and didnt have them screwed in my right ear good enough. fell out once. then i wedged it in and had no more issues.

- my ears did not ring at all and i know they were cutting out with the shots so that was good. hearing felt protected the whole time.

- instructions say the hearing magnification and shot blocker are only active when the bluetooth is switched off and i found that to be false. it was weirdly cool, but i would swap over to listen to music and i could still hear amplified outside noises, which would then cut out when a shot went off. from the literature, i thought this was not the case or even possible.

- swapping from amplified/shot block to bluetooth was a single press of either ear. easy.

- wind was bad one day and the plugs would cut out with wind noise hit the limit. i have some regular electronic muffs and the wind noise is horrible. confirmed by comments from friends when we discussed the plugs.

- there are "instruction" voices when you activate them. they were difficult to hear and i havent bothered looking into if i can up the volume. i still need to learn more about how to use the features.

overall, great for what i needed them for. i will continue to use them and hopefully they do good.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Wife got me the Grizzly ears for Christmas.

She emailed and asked for delivery for Christmas and they responded quickly with a yes, yet a few minutes later she got tracking for 27 Dec. She emailed WTF and they blamed UPS. Rubbed me the wrong way.

My left earbud is cutting in and out. Sometimes no problem, sometimes constant. Annoying.

Sound quality with music is pretty darn good to my untrained ear.

I can hear calls ok, they can't hear me well. That's in a quiet interior setting.

No range time yet.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Got some of the Walker's Silencer bluetooth earbuds for christmas. Haven't used them out in the field yet, but seem like they will work pretty good.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in