Help with 1st 10/22 parts build SALES/ DEALS - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Help with 1st 10/22 parts build SALES/ DEALS

Any hot deals? Black Friday/ Cyber Monday? Post em up please!

1st (and 2nd Ruger) 10/22 build(s). Want to take my daughter to a Appleseed next summer. Want to build a gun with her, that fits her. Also one for me, possibly with a scope (freaking eyes are getting old!). I got my Rifleman badge a few years back with my trusty Model 60 with Tech Sights. It was a blast. (There's a thread somewhere)

Starting from a bare 100% action, with integrated rail. I'll need every last piece from there.

Goals:
.5" @ 50yds with quality ammo
Don't break the bank
Tech Sights
Somewhat light weight for her

Going to start with Ruger BX triggers. Reviews are good for the $.

Magpul Hunter stock to start. Depending on fit for us, may do 2 or try a Boyds AT.

Barrel? Pickle here, not many are setup for front sights. Accurate, threaded, and lightish. Whats the ticket here? If I have to I'll drill/tap for a front sight. Profile will have to be correct for the front sight to match height. Will email Tech Sights and figure it out. Worst case I can try a factory on hers, and skip the sights on mine. Would rather start with a decent barrel though.

Bolts? Do they matter? Factory $50, Tandemkross, $120, Brownells "upgraded" $80, Kidd, VQ, other?

What other parts matter? Is there anywhere that does a small parts package?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3000
Don't think I have seen any 10-22 "bull barrels" set up for irons, so you will probably have to smith something work. Most bull barrels are .92" diameter.

You may be money ahead to get one of the tac-sol, volquartsen, magnum research, ect.
Also check out the new bergara 10-22 copy and the Thompson tcr22.

I have had the most fun with a standard 10-22 with a red dot sight.
An old bolt action would be a lot of fun for an Appleseed shoot in my opinion.
Aron82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
I like my kidd mag release and auto release bolts
https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com...stem_p_54.html

I found a bull barrle for $100 but hellifiknow where.
The only thing i dont like is my dragonov stock is so light the bull barrle made it awkwardly nose heavy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4554
Send a message via AIM to bluesman2a
I like JWH custom for bolts. Not too expensive, good finish. They occasionally run specials through their book of faces page.

Depending on her build you really might want to consider a chassis. My son is 7 and needs a short LOP. I put him on my PMACA MFG chassis with collapsible AR stock. Fits him like a glove and he can grow with it. Not too spendy.

Here lately I'm liking the Tac-Sol barrels for lightweight, pre-threaded. Whistle-pig also comes to mind.

To me the triggers are EVERYthing. I particularly like the Volquartsen. The BX isn't bad for the money, look around, anything in the 2.5#-ish range should be nice.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 182743
Iím a big fan of 10/22s. I have 4 all setup differently.

The 2 most important mods in my opinion are a bolt release and a buffer pin. Sure you can buy the kidd or volquartsen or whatever you want, but I experimented with Dremeling the bolt release and used a plastic bolt for a buffer pin. There is no difference. So you are basically looking at spending roughly 15+$ on those parts or go to ace hardware and look in the toilet section for the plastic bolts, I got 3 for like 59 cents. Just cut to length and drop it in. Plenty of pics online for dremeling the bolt release. Grind it, try it, grind it, try it, easy peasy, takes 10 minutes.

As for triggers, I have 1 all metal (they are poly now) 1976 trigger thatís just been polished, seemed like the best of the 4 I had. But then I sent 2 (1 metal 1 poly) off to brimmstone Gunsmithing for their top level trigger job, and they are amazingly amazing. I think they are 2.75 pounds or something like that. 0 over travel, 0 pre travel. I also have a bx trigger, and itís ok but I plan to send both the bx and the all metal trigger to brimmstone in the near future.

Stocks. want lightweight, stay with the standard birch carbine stock. Want comfy, go hogue. Want to add a chainsaw bayonet attachment, go magpul.

I also have a jwh bolt, not too impressed with it. Well I guess is should say itís the charging handle that came with it. The retainer for the spring kinda rubs something in there (I forget what exactly) and it just feels kinda gritty when pulling the charging handle. Functions fine, no real issues. Grittiness goes away with a Ruger charging handle. While mechanically I can see the benefits of a modified bolt, in real world function I see no difference between the jwh and Ruger bolts.

Want it to fit in a small space, get the takedown and the magpul stock and red dot mount and a decent red dot. I really enjoy my takedown. Would be nice if it had a way to mount a short rail section on the hand guard section but I understand why they didnít (space is limited if you want the 2 halves to snap together)

I also really enjoy the one I have the non takedown magpul stock on. I have a green streamlight which lights up critters eyes like a candle, with a bushnell red dot which is very clear with the green background. Night time critter control.

Both the ones with the magpul stocks have the brimmstone triggers.

As for what is a good deal, palmetto state armory over the last few months has had a good deal an anniversary edition that has some nice sights on it. I also have this barrel and rail setup on one and it is the best irons I have seen on one yet. I paid almost what that rifle now costs just for the barrel and rail. If I was in the market and not wanting a takedown, Iíd of jumped on that. If you are in the market for 2, get this version. Grab a hogue and magpul stock, get red dots and Dremel and plastic bolts. Send triggers to brimmstone. Done.
_Stucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 121794
@_Stucky, should I send them my old metal trigger, or a new polymer trigger?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stucky View Post
Iím a big fan of 10/22s. I have 4 all setup differently.

Done.
Thank you, if you have any good threads/info on bolt mods I'd love to see it.

Well thanks to you guys plans changed slightly.

Ordered this to build a dedicated Appleseed rifle. Going to use the $25 Ruger gift card to order the short LOP stock kit, so it should fit damn near anyone. Bolt mods and a BX trigger (possibly Tech Sights). Cheap and easy.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/ruge...een-31115.html

I'm still going to build at least one 10/22 for myself, so keep the tech, info, and deals coming!

Thanks!

PS: Already had a CZ455 in the safe for my daughter, but bailed on the idea when the Appleseed came up. Going back to nice scoped bolt guns for both kids.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 121794
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREvince View Post
Thank you, if you have any good threads/info on bolt mods I'd love to see it.

Well thanks to you guys plans changed slightly.

Ordered this to build a dedicated Appleseed rifle. Going to use the $25 Ruger gift card to order the short LOP stock kit, so it should fit damn near anyone. Bolt mods and a BX trigger (possibly Tech Sights). Cheap and easy.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/ruge...een-31115.html

I'm still going to build at least one 10/22 for myself, so keep the tech, info, and deals coming!

Thanks!

PS: Already had a CZ455 in the safe for my daughter, but bailed on the idea when the Appleseed came up. Going back to nice scoped bolt guns for both kids.
I have a set of tech sights I could sell you if you want them. I installed them on my 10/22 take down and then took them back off after I discovered that I did not like them. Let me know if you are interested, and I can try to find them in my stash.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 182743
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
@_Stucky, should I send them my old metal trigger, or a new polymer trigger?
If you donít have a polymer one, Iíd just send the one you have. Unless you like extra parts. Honestly the polymer one does feel *better* but itís a wash really. Both are great.

When I send them the 1976 metal trigger Iím only going to have them do the lowest tier work on it, not switch to their trigger and spring. 1976 models have some stuff stamped into the barrel. Gonna keep that one looking original. I put an old redfield scope on it.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 182743
Quote:
Ordered this.
Bingo!

When I get home from work Iíll try to find some links.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 182743
Bolt release:

https://youtu.be/5qqC4A20h1Y

Buffer pin:

https://youtu.be/vPkwsQl6JNw

I tried to embed the videos, no dice. Gonna have to clicky. Post up some pics when you get this project going.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 121794
Arrow

Quote:
If you donít have a polymer one, Iíd just send the one you have. Unless you like extra parts. Honestly the polymer one does feel *better* but itís a wash really. Both are great.

When I send them the 1976 metal trigger Iím only going to have them do the lowest tier work on it, not switch to their trigger and spring. 1976 models have some stuff stamped into the barrel. Gonna keep that one looking original. I put an old redfield scope on it.
Sorry, I was not clear. I replaced my metal trigger assembly with a timney 10/22 trigger assembly. I also have a new 10/22 take down. So, I could either send in the polymer trigger assembly from the take down, or I could send in my old metal assembly.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 182743
In that case, Iíd say send them the polymer one. When I talked to them on the phone, the guy was saying he can get the polymer ones just a touch smoother than the aluminum ones. But I wouldnít worry too much, both are very nice.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 182743
By the way, I guess I should clarify that I have used both Kidd and volquartsen bolt releases, and modded them. Function wise, no difference. Being cheap, mod it yourself. Want it silver to match a silver trigger housing, go volquartsen. Other than that, no major differences.

For buffers, Iíve tried Kidd, volquartsen, and another one that I canít recall the company, and the plastic bolt. Personally I think the Kidd one is best, but only because it quiets down the bolt slamming against it. Volquartsen one is also pretty soft but just seems kinda cheap and flimsy. Plastic bolt is cheap, possibly louder than the others. The one that I canít think of who made it was pretty much just like the volquartsen one but black instead of clear.

The reason for the buffer is that the hardened bolt, everytime you shoot, slams against the hardened buffer pin, which rests in the aluminum receiver. I didnít see much use in replacing it until I got the 1976 rifle, which has been shot enough that the hole is kinda oval shaped.

I think Ruger should have made both of these things standard years ago. Extended mag releases are also much nicer than the old flush mount release. New trigger housing come with an extended mag release. Iíve tried 3 different types, and personally like the Ruger one the best.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Thanks Stucky

I appreciate the info. My plan is to slap a scope on the stock rifle and test. I have a wide selection of quality ammo. My control will be CCI SV, it's my go to, cheap but generally accurate in most guns ammo.

Then I plan on screwing with it of course.
Going to DIY a full bolt job.
Radius the rear
Pin the firing pin
Polish
re-face the bolt to a tighter headspace (I have a depth mic and mill, etc. It's the only mod that requires any precision)

Firing pins are cheap, but I'm going to mess with the factory one first.
stone it flat
Polish
re-profile the tip

Plastic buffer
BX trigger
auto bolt release mod

Other than the trigger I should be out about $1 and some time.

Hoping to score 2 BX triggers on Black Friday/ Cyber Monday deals
Old 11-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Quote:
Thanks Stucky

I appreciate the info. My plan is to slap a scope on the stock rifle and test. I have a wide selection of quality ammo. My control will be CCI SV, it's my go to, cheap but generally accurate in most guns ammo.

Then I plan on screwing with it of course.
Going to DIY a full bolt job.
Radius the rear
Pin the firing pin
Polish
re-face the bolt to a tighter headspace (I have a depth mic and mill, etc. It's the only mod that requires any precision)

Firing pins are cheap, but I'm going to mess with the factory one first.
stone it flat
Polish
re-profile the tip

Plastic buffer
BX trigger
auto bolt release mod

Other than the trigger I should be out about $1 and some time.

Hoping to score 2 BX triggers on Black Friday/ Cyber Monday deals
You can do a lot without spending any money. People spend tons on them for the same reason they do ARs - They want instant gratification and knowing the difference between flathead and Philips is the limit of their technical ability.

I built a custom 10/22 for the ex wife as a wedding present (now wasted time). Trigger job using the stock components, stock bolt with the same work you are saying (I did get an aftermarket extractor), stock cleanup so that it floated right, paint job. If you have a lathe you can re-ream to a 22 bentz chamber, there is a guy in alabama that does it pretty cheap also.

About the only limitations are the stock, since there isnt much to remove, the stock extractors can suck (and not much to do but replace it) and its usually not worth modding the mag release for how cheap they are. You can get a #2-3lb trigger and properly headspaced bolt for nothing more than some stone work.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 159257
SO how is this coming along? Get the full bolt job done? mess around with firing pins and if so what did you learn?
Old 12-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Fawking WA, still waiting...

PSA took forever and then waiting period for background check. First time I paid the $18 "Assault weapon" tax (all semi rifles). The left side of WA is every bit as screwed as CA.

Should be able to pick it up next week. Weather will dictate when I actually get it to the range and wring it out.

Did get to handle it and it's a nice rifle.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 182743
Iím curious how you end up liking the sights.

My uncle has a skunk that is creeping around his place at night, so I let him borrow the one I have with the light and red dot. A buddy came over and we were gonna shoot a little. Grabbed my takedown but I left the red dot on. Grabbed the 1976 model and immediately remembered how heavy the trigger is. Swapped the brimmstone trigger from takedown into 1976 one. I would like to try out some other options for triggers but I canít imagine them being any better.

Thedonn007, did you send yours off?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Fawking WA, still waiting...

PSA took forever and then waiting period for background check. First time I paid the $18 "Assault weapon" tax (all semi rifles). The left side of WA is every bit as screwed as CA.

Should be able to pick it up next week. Weather will dictate when I actually get it to the range and wring it out.

Did get to handle it and it's a nice rifle.
I understand wanting to perform some gunfuckery, I do it to most all of my guns as well, but do your ammo selection testing first to get a baseline. I too like that CCI black box ammo, Wolf Extra is better but it's also near 4x the price.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 121794
Quote:
I’m curious how you end up liking the sights.

My uncle has a skunk that is creeping around his place at night, so I let him borrow the one I have with the light and red dot. A buddy came over and we were gonna shoot a little. Grabbed my takedown but I left the red dot on. Grabbed the 1976 model and immediately remembered how heavy the trigger is. Swapped the brimmstone trigger from takedown into 1976 one. I would like to try out some other options for triggers but I can’t imagine them being any better.

Thedonn007, did you send yours off?
I did not get a chance to send it out yet. Too much other stuff on the list to take care of. I have been thinking about selling my take down and buying a charger with a brace.

It would be nice to compare the Brimstone trigger to the timney that I have on my other 10/22.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
I understand wanting to perform some gunfuckery, I do it to most all of my guns as well, but do your ammo selection testing first to get a baseline. I too like that CCI black box ammo, Wolf Extra is better but it's also near 4x the price.
ill leave this here for those that dont know:

Wolf Match Extra = SK Rifle Match
Wolf Match Target = SK Standard Plus

SK is typically about 2-3 cents a round cheaper than the Wolf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in