Dual RC tank build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 80692
Dual RC tank build

Figure I would start a build thread for the 2 different tanks/robots that are being built on pirate. Should be a interesting cluster of a thread with a ton of info.

I've started to collected items to design the robot to the parts I can find for cheap and machine on the mill. So far I have recieved in the SK500 rubber tracks from ebay and electric wheelchair motors will be in Thursday.

Track info
~7in wide
.9in thick
roughly 108in in length

Wheelchair motors
Quantum Q6 Edge motors
Continuous 350Watts
Peak power 1000 Watts

dethmachinefab
Do you have info on your sprocket and where you found the idler wheels?

So far I'm trying to decided between a 12 or 14in Drive wheel?

Attached Images

Shefron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Send a message via AIM to dethmachinefab
Idlers were cut from 5' sch 40 pipe with cnc plasma cut disks welded in, a 1.5" x.25 tube center hub joining both inner and outer wheels. The hub will recieve bronze bushings. Its an annoying job making them and keeping everything straight. They are ok, but ill build a real jig next time.

The sprocket was a bunch of guess work but ive got the mock up pretty close, i will burn the real ones from some 1/2" plate. Hard to figure out the pitch circle and flat driving lugs of the rubber track vs a standard roller chain.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Here is the speed control I'm using. I've run them before and they are a great unit, from a company who stands behind their product. I had one on another vehicle arc into magic smoke and they sent a new one right away.

Lots of different control options and regen braking. Real easy to use and set up.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
awesome

just remember, no matter how mundane the detail, take a picture and post some notes about it

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2020, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Motors and a close up of a bottom roller.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 86724
have you considered how you're actually going to do the radio mixing to control the speed controllers?

pixhawk/ardupilot has a tracked vhicle installation called rover that can do all your mixing +autonomy.

hit me up when you get to radio programming.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
have you considered how you're actually going to do the radio mixing to control the speed controllers?

pixhawk/ardupilot has a tracked vhicle installation called rover that can do all your mixing +autonomy.

The sabertooth can be controlled by analog input 0-5v, r/c from a standard reciever, simplified serial, and packetized serial. I think I will start with an aircraft transmitter and reciever to get it rolling and then play with some more complex stuff. The motors are capable of running encoders so I may be able to program some neat features.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wear Your Seatbelts

Member # 196627
Awesome thread is awesome. Thanks for the thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scooter2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2020, 06:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 80692
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmachinefab View Post
Idlers were cut from 5' sch 40 pipe with cnc plasma cut disks welded in, a 1.5" x.25 tube center hub joining both inner and outer wheels. The hub will recieve bronze bushings. Its an annoying job making them and keeping everything straight. They are ok, but ill build a real jig next time.

The sprocket was a bunch of guess work but ive got the mock up pretty close, i will burn the real ones from some 1/2" plate. Hard to figure out the pitch circle and flat driving lugs of the rubber track vs a standard roller chain.
I think I have a working CAD model for the drive sprocket but I will be sticking some cardboad in the CNC mill and tracing one out with a sharpie. Might look funny playing with a cardboard wheel inside the track.

Quote:
Here is the speed control I'm using. I've run them before and they are a great unit, from a company who stands behind their product. I had one on another vehicle arc into magic smoke and they sent a new one right away.

Lots of different control options and regen braking. Real easy to use and set up.
Yep. Same model I was looking into. Shame they cost $189 dollars.

Quote:

Going to need to look into this a little more. A few friends recommended the Jumper T16 pro controller.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 80692
Did a little work on the drive sprocket yesterday. Sure do miss having free access to a waterjet and a 2500watt CO2 laser cutter but a sharpie inside the mill will have to do. Plus I sold my plasma last year which sucks also.

The sprocket I would like to keep less than a 12x12 square so I can purchase chucks of material from ebay or other sites. Today I need to look up the formula for generating a sprocket based off diameter of sprocket and spacing since this one had spacing issues once wrapped.

Sharpie fits perfectly in a 7/16 collet.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefron View Post
Did a little work on the drive sprocket yesterday. Sure do miss having free access to a waterjet and a 2500watt CO2 laser cutter but a sharpie inside the mill will have to do. Plus I sold my plasma last year which sucks also.

The sprocket I would like to keep less than a 12x12 square so I can purchase chucks of material from ebay or other sites. Today I need to look up the formula for generating a sprocket based off diameter of sprocket and spacing since this one had spacing issues once wrapped.

I had a similar issue. It took a bunch of mock ups to get close. Mine is 11" tooth to tooth. To me looks like you need more of a pointed tooth. The first sprocket I ran through my program was all wrong because it's designed for roller chain. The rubber track sprockets follow different parameters because they are linked flat bars.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:

Yeah waterjet or laser would be fast but don't go crying in front of me when you have access to a CNC mill... Just order a piece of 1" plate, 1/2" -4-flute roughing mill, and 4 flute finishing mill.

Set your program to do a roughing cut .01 off finished dims(on 1" plate that's probably doable in 4-6 passes) and then 2 full depth passes to finished

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
Where do the tracks come from?

I have been wanting to build a remote control, gas powered, hydraulic driven tracked string mower to mow hillsides on my property.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
Where do the tracks come from?

I have been wanting to build a remote control, gas powered, hydraulic driven tracked string mower to mow hillsides on my property.
Ditch witch sk500, bobcat mt52, etc wall behind skid steer machines. They go for about 200 each.

Variable piston pumps and hyd motors can be found pretty cheap on surplus center for your idea. I have a done a bunch of hydro drive stuff with them.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:

Going to need to look into this a little more. A few friends recommended the Jumper T16 pro controller.
that looks nice.

I haven't radio shopped since I bought my taranis that runs the same opentx firmware.

opentx is fantastic.

that would allow you to do the mixing needed to control the ESCs, but what I'm talking about is an onboard controller with it's own GPS and the like.

there's also a bunch of autonomy things you can integrate at that poin. like ultrasonic ranging for obstacle avoidance, cameras that can recognize objects, advanced telemetry.

all the nerd shit.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 80692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post
Yeah waterjet or laser would be fast but don't go crying in front of me when you have access to a CNC mill... Just order a piece of 1" plate, 1/2" -4-flute roughing mill, and 4 flute finishing mill.

Set your program to do a roughing cut .01 off finished dims(on 1" plate that's probably doable in 4-6 passes) and then 2 full depth passes to finished
Machining it should be easy. I might need to buy some more endmills since most are for AL right now.

Quote:
I had a similar issue. It took a bunch of mock ups to get close. Mine is 11" tooth to tooth. To me looks like you need more of a pointed tooth. The first sprocket I ran through my program was all wrong because it's designed for roller chain. The rubber track sprockets follow different parameters because they are linked flat bars.
I think I finally have the pattern down. Was tempting to just order the drive sprocket for 74 each but unsure yet if I will.

Quote:
that looks nice.

I haven't radio shopped since I bought my taranis that runs the same opentx firmware.

opentx is fantastic.

that would allow you to do the mixing needed to control the ESCs, but what I'm talking about is an onboard controller with it's own GPS and the like.

there's also a bunch of autonomy things you can integrate at that poin. like ultrasonic ranging for obstacle avoidance, cameras that can recognize objects, advanced telemetry.

all the nerd shit.
I do need to watch how automated I make the system due to gun laws.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Quote:
Machining it should be easy. I might need to buy some more endmills since most are for AL right now.

I think I finally have the pattern down. Was tempting to just order the drive sprocket for 74 each but unsure yet if I will.

I do need to watch how automated I make the system due to gun laws.
If someone cared to restrict their freedoms, what would they need to be concerned with?

Got my bearings and idler bushings today. Been too busy with work to get anything done though.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
cool build

randomly found this pic after reading trough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
oh boy! this looks to be fun.

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 80692
Quote:
If someone cared to restrict their freedoms, what would they need to be concerned with?

Got my bearings and idler bushings today. Been too busy with work to get anything done though.
ATF doesnt look to kindly to automated guns without being a 3 letter agency. Similar to being illegal to build a full auto firearm without a SOT, and paperwork.

Received in the wheelchair motors today. Looking dam good.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 86724
ATF isn't going to treat your automated chassis any differently than the RC chassis, as long as the gun doesn't have any capability to be fired by the onboard controller.

in fact I'd say you're already stepping over the line with just RC, as that's a remote trigger.

but who knows in ATF land.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Cut out the drive sprockets and rear idlers.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 80692
Managed to knock out the 2 sprockets today. Took a little time since I had to remount a sacrificial plate on top of the mill fixture plate.

Took about 20 mins of machining but made sure to include a alignment feature in the sprocket if I need to put it back in the mill. The motors worked like a charm using a large battery charger set to 35 amps.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Cut out some track frames. I'm thinking I can fit a final drive in the frame to gain some reduction and ground clearance. I need to play with the bearing set up because I don't want to mount them outside the frames.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 80692
Quote:
Cut out some track frames. I'm thinking I can fit a final drive in the frame to gain some reduction and ground clearance. I need to play with the bearing set up because I don't want to mount them outside the frames.
Your progress is looking good. How heavy do you think it will be in the end?

Friday I should be picking up a plate 1/4 steel flat bar for the side plates, 1/8 steel plate for the body and maybe 1/4 pipe for spacers between the casters. For the casters I may pick up 12 - 5in or 6in polyurethane on cast iron wheel on ebay for about $240. Little more pricey then making them but time saver and wrong equipment to make them with ease.

Probably will end up with the 6in casters.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Caster-Wh...t/292974160736

Debating on solid mount for the caster wheel or a suspension system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in