1911 taurus vs rock island - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 79207
1911 taurus vs rock island

I have had my eyes on a RIA tactical for a little while just waiting on funds, just came across the Taurus 1911-B1 rail. I know they aren't the high dollar 1911s but they should be a good gun for the money whats is the general consensus.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 34298
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherloginbroke View Post
I have had my eyes on a RIA tactical for a little while just waiting on funds, just came across the Taurus 1911-B1 rail. I know they aren't the high dollar 1911s but they should be a good gun for the money whats is the general consensus.
I like my PT1911. Never shot a RI, and really don't know much about 1911's. I do know this......the folks who make the kit to convert from .45 ACP to .460 Rowland recommend the Taurus, but not the RI. ::::shrugs:::::
Loveday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 24704
The Taurus is a much nicer gun than the RIA.
Tim84K10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
nights end here

Member # 35217
One more vote for the PT1911. Have had nothing but good luck with my taurus.
01/03 and 07/SOT
FlexCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 105338
I bought a RIA on a whim about 2 years ago.....nothing but problems for me. They do seem to have a decent reputation, but in my case I got the short end of the stick. The extractor was "S" shaped out of the box, which caused multiple problems ( failure to go into battery, failure to extract..). Ended up trading it off for something else, rather than throw a bunch of money at it.....
Unka-Boo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 37244
Buy the Taurus. Much more gun for the money.
4x401cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 28792
Another vote for the Taurus.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 26472
Taurus. Mine has worked flawlessly.
[COLOR="Silver"]'84 Bobbed -8, LT-1, TH400, STaK 3 speed, front 60 with Detroit/35 spline shafts, rear 14 bolt with detroit, garage built rear four link, front radius arm, 42" TSLs on locked Racelines, PSC assist, WARN 8274, lots of plating.
'82 -'8 As stock as it gets...[/COLOR]
Kaiser5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Taurus. Get one. Replace the extractor with a Wilson or Ed Brown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Land Rover Series IIa 105". 5.3l L59, NV4500 MT8, NP241-C, F&R D110 Salisburies
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 113684
the taurus will also have a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
Taurus. Get one. Replace the extractor with a Wilson or Ed Brown.
Good suggestion. I would recommend doing the Ejector too.

I posted in one of the last Taurus threads how my friends Taurus 1911 sheared off at the pins in less than a month of moderate shooting. He sent it back to Taurus and in took close to 3 months to get it back. After harrasment they ended up sending a new pistol back but Rob traded up at the store for a new Springer.

The local shop he bought it from has had several returns for their 1911. So much that he does not carry them anymore. Keeps plenty of other taurus' but he has sworn off their 1911's.

I hesitated mentioning it since everyone else has had good experiences but thought it was an important data point.

They are set up well with decent sights and Beaver tail at a good price. It shot well. Trigger was not great but acceptable. I was surprised how quickly the pistol showed holster wear. Maybe he just got a Monday gun
Old 09-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 12780
Send a message via Yahoo to SCOTTS_4X
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwt12 View Post
so does the RIA and customer service reports are second to none. luckily mine has run flawlessly so far so no first hadn experience.

-Scott
Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Necro thread bump!!! Anyone got any more stories good or bad about either the taurus or RIA guns?

I just bought my wife a Para 1911 for her birthday and I've been wanting a 1911 in .45 for a while now... (Have a springfield EMP in .40). It would be fun to get some competitive shooting going with her using the same rounds and style of gun. I just want something slightly cheaper that still functions well.

I'm considering the following guns.

Taurus 5"
Taurus 1911 Standard 45 ACP 5" 8+1 w/Heinie Sight

Shooters Arms 5" Not sure on this one... would rather have the wedge style rear sight than the blade style...
Shooters Arms Mfg .45 ACP Elite Pistol with 5" BBL #SA-ELITE45

RIA 5"
1911 .45 ACP Rock Island Tactical with Matte Black Finish #AC-RI1911TACA

RIA 3.5" Would be slightly less accurate than the 5" barreled 1911's for competition shooting, but would be easier to carry if I ever decided to. Right now I carry a M&P shield in .40
1911 .45 ACP Rock Island Compact CS with Matte Black Finish #AC-RI1911-CS

So yeah... anyone have any good/bad to say about any of the above?
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 86724
dad bought a taurus ages ago.

Always works.
Ejects properly with factory, wilson and mccormick mags. Mangles the last round with pro mags, but still ejects and functions.
Something about the promag feed lips catches the brass and just collapses the case mouth.
no experience with RIA.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 205130
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwt12 View Post
Theres a reason for that. Ive seen broken thumb safety's, plunger tube pop'd of on the first day, link lug sheared off not to mention the craptastic triggers.

Save and get a Springfield.
Coverbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 43079
The RI's are good basic guns. They may have some non-standard stuff like weird dovetails, bushing-less barrels, etc. Overall though I have had very few problems.

I've warrantied one that the mag wouldn't latch on. I didn't have time to deal with it, plus it was brand new. They did a little extra tuning on the gun while it was there.

I had one other that the detent for the slide catch wasn't deep enough. So sometimes the slide latch would pop up and catch the slide. Easy fix and not sent in.

I've moved around 50 or so RI's in the past couple years, not really any complaints I can think of.

The Citadels are a step up from RI but same company.

Taurus warranty I have had issues with such as some things going in with problems and coming out with none, but I was told nothing was fixed. The gun was sent in, in non-functioning shape, no way it was repaired by UPS fairies.

Para's will soon be dried up, but I wouldn't doubt it if the tooling for the Rem 1911'sa re basically rebadged Para's
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 181882
Here is my personal experience with inexpensive 1911's

Taurus: had a .45 for a short period of time, worked, but not impressive. Have a 9mm right now, bout it cheap after somebody bubba-smithed the hell out of it. Does not function, not the guns fault. I am going to put an aftermarket barrel in it some day (taurus wanted $180 for a factory barrel ! ) I have not had good experience with Taurus customer service, and have NO plans to buy any further Taurus products.

Rock Island: Never owned one, but my friends gun store sells a bunch of them, and I have never seen one come back.

ATI: I bought a new one cheap from A PSA sale a couple years ago, ran good, felt good, until the safety broke in half and fell off at less than 100 rounds. I had other 1911 options, so I fixed it and traded it off.

My overall opinion? buy a used Springfield or Colt or Ruger. You should be able to find one in the $500-600 range and have a gun that is higher quality and goes up in value, even with modifications.

A $400-500 Taurus or RIA / any Philippine made 1911 will always be worth just that no matter how much you put in to it to make it what you want, or make it accurate/ reliable.

Just my .02
oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 81022
I have a RIA 1911 & I love it. I am not the kind of person to spend 1k on a gun, its just not something I would do. I added a Hogue grip to it and it fits great in your hand, very well balanced & nice to shoot/accurate.

Some people are crybaby about the black sights, but they don't bother me. If I had any complaint about it, the take down is a little annoying. The spring is hard to compress by hand and you have to get a tiny allen key or paper clip into a pin hole to get the barrel out. Other than that I would shoot it all day long.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 118035
RIA all the way. If you want to spend more go for the Springfield. But, honestly, if you shot them side by side you wouldn't notice a difference.

I stay away from all Tauruses. They are always hit and miss. Their CS used to be great and now it's gone way down hill recently.

The Shooters 1911's I've sold a few of. Their GI model looks and feel nice. But I've heard they have some break-in issues.

Last edited by IEATRKS84; 01-20-2016 at 09:35 AM.
IEATRKS84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 83430
I had a RIA tactital II for awhile. Only problem I had with it was the adjustable rear sight would work loose while shooting. Little dab of loctite fixed it. Other than that it was a great gun.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShaft696 View Post
I have a RIA 1911 & I love it. I am not the kind of person to spend 1k on a gun, its just not something I would do. I added a Hogue grip to it and it fits great in your hand, very well balanced & nice to shoot/accurate.

Some people are crybaby about the black sights, but they don't bother me. If I had any complaint about it, the take down is a little annoying. The spring is hard to compress by hand and you have to get a tiny allen key or paper clip into a pin hole to get the barrel out. Other than that I would shoot it all day long.
I have the same and did the hogue grip too. Big improvement for sure. The sights are lacking and bring teh suck and different ones are on the list. I have about 1k through it of all types of ammo and zero problems or hiccups. Plus it was cheap and I like cheap guns.

Last edited by cslimfu; 01-20-2016 at 06:36 PM.
cslimfu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 20358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85f150dsel View Post

I've warrantied one that the mag wouldn't latch on. I didn't have time to deal with it, plus it was brand new. They did a little extra tuning on the gun while it was there.
Same thing with mine, sent it back and it came back in about a week with the mag working properly and the trigger is now like glass, it shoots way better than my brothers Springfield gi now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zuk_off is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Well it looks like Rock Island is winning according to you guys. I kinda half expected it to go to the Taurus after reading some online reviews.

Now I just have to let the bank account heal back up for a while before I can buy it.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 88741
Quote:

This is my experience. Take down sucks, so I clean as much as I can without taking down. I have yet to have any issues. The finish isn't the best, but for a $500 gun I'm not going to bitch.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickmanfab. View Post
This is my experience. Take down sucks, so I clean as much as I can without taking down. I have yet to have any issues. The finish isn't the best, but for a $500 gun I'm not going to bitch.
Do both these models have the heavy "bull" barrel? I know my EMP has that and yes it's a bitch to break down... Seems like the regular barreled 1911's with the barrel bushing would be much easier to field strip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in