anyone know where to find info on a sheriff canadate? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
waterboy
 
surveyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9086
Location: 525 miles from the hammers
Posts: 18,783
anyone know where to find info on a sheriff canadate?

Not that we have a real choice in Sonoma county, since only one person will run for sheriff at any given time

but, just trying to find out if anyone knows where to find out or knows what Steve Freitas stand is on CCW?

it'd be great to find that he's in favor of giving some rights back to us.

also, I swore i've seen a link posted about stats showing how CCW's holders are a good thing along with other facts. anyone know what i'm refering too?
surveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
ROCKILLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Member # 3273
Location: Shasta County, CA
Posts: 4,031
I have no idea about the answer to your question but I was in the sheriffs office the other day getting a livescan (fingerprints) and I noticed the sign in the windows said that it was the proper place to bring permit applications for a few things including CCW. I'm planning on applying in Shasta County once I have met the one year residency requirement. I have owned a home there for about 5 years now but I recently moved there...
__________________
[QUOTE=Alfred W.;10665950]When a man has the scent of pussy in his nose...... The best advice in the world bounces off the block formerly know as his head. :grinpimp:[/QUOTE]
ROCKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
III
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 2032
Posts: 28,133
Someone on Cal Guns ought to know.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
waterboy
 
surveyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9086
Location: 525 miles from the hammers
Posts: 18,783
in sonoma county? i had read that this last sheriff wouldn't issue any period.


and I wish i could 'move' to shasta county

time to see if i have a cal guns account LOL
surveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5132
Posts: 26,624
Did you try his Facebook page??????
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
waterboy
 
surveyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9086
Location: 525 miles from the hammers
Posts: 18,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray Boudreaux View Post
did you see my post on there about an hour before posting this question?
surveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5132
Posts: 26,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyboy View Post
did you see my post on there about an hour before posting this question?
Nope. Just found the link and browse through real quick without paying too much of anything.
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
waterboy
 
surveyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9086
Location: 525 miles from the hammers
Posts: 18,783
well, got an answer from him. trying to come up with a response.

70 ccw's issued in our county is nothing... and in the past, you basicly had to be friends with the sherrif in order to get one.

it doesn't sound like he's going to issue very many, but, maybe if a case can be made for good cause you would have a chance.

From: [email protected]asforsheriff2010.com
To: [email protected]
Subject:
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:58:43 -0800

Mr. Bootsma,

Thank you for your e mail about CCW's in Sonoma County. First off, I support the 2nd amendment to the Constitution.

As for CCW's, the issue is the Penal Code section that says there must be "good cause" to issue the CCW. Different people have varying opinions on what "good cause" means. I know the Sheriff issues more CCW's then our law enforcement colleagues in the cities. For example, the city of Santa Rosa, with a population very similar to the unincorporated areas of the County, has 1 CCW issued to the best of my knowledge. On the other hand, the Sheriff currently has about 70 issued.

As for my position, I think I can best describe it by using an example. At a recent public meeting a rancher from the West County told me his story. He has several different properties and this requires him the use public roads to get to and from the various locations. At one of the locations he found evidence of marijuana being grown illegally on his property. He applied for a CCW but was turned down. In this situation I would have issued the CCW.

However, I need to point out that I did not check to see if this person was denied for some other reason and I did not verify his story. Either way the example is one that I can point to where I believe the ranchers story would meet the "good cause" standard in the Penal Code.

Each case needs to be looked at individually to see if it meets the "good cause" standard. I hope this example helps to explain, at least in this case, what my position is on the "good cause" question.

If you want to give me a specific example of your own I would be happy to answer it.

Thank you,


Steve Freitas
Freitas for Sheriff 2010
PO Box 869
Windsor, Ca 95492
(707) 570-1900
surveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.
 
Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 47
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 46,291
sounds like a step in the right direction... though I prefer our "shall issue" law
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Abby...someone
 
edglock21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 48547
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,413
I would think a good enough "cause" would be that you are a citizen of the United States and that your rights are guaranteed by the Constitution.


...but alas, I'm in a similar situation in the Kommiefornia of the East; there are precious few concealed carry permits in MD.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Douglass
.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
edglock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
waterboy
 
surveyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9086
Location: 525 miles from the hammers
Posts: 18,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
I would think a good enough "cause" would be that you are a citizen of the United States and that your rights are guaranteed by the Constitution.


...but alas, I'm in a similar situation in the Kommiefornia of the East; there are precious few concealed carry permits in MD.
I agree Ed.

here's my response:

Mr. Freitas,

Well, I thank you for your time to respond to my question.

Yes, everyone's definition of 'good cause' is different and I do commend you for at least being open to issuing some. I do still feel that a 'shall issue' county would be better.

As for a specific example of my own... well, personally I travel a fair amount every year to Southern California, Nevada, Arizona and sometimes farther. In those travels, I spend alot of time on the highways in the middle of nowhere late at night, with only a few people around... none of them CHP or sheriffs. In the rare occasions that i'm stuck on the side of the road for something (breakdown, rest or streatching) or even when I've reached my destination. which is sometimes the middle of the desert or the forest, as I'm an avid camper and wheeler. I've never been comfortable with not having protection close at hand. However, because of the laws and that I don't have a CCW, I cannot easily protect myself without breaking the law.

And also, where I live in the county, we have some, lets say, less than desirable people that live down the road from us who tend to explore things that don't belong to them... while there is the right to defend myself on my property, these type of people, don't always find you at home. You never know where something is going to happen. I've owned guns for nearly 10 years or so now and had never had to show one for self-defense and I'd prefer to keep it that way for the rest of my natural life.

However, I'm a firm believer in being prepared for the worst and hope for the best. I have car insurance, just in case, i carry snow chains in my truck, just in case, i have lanterns and dry food, just in case if floods, and so on.

Thank you for you time.

Shaun Bootsma
surveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13807
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 14,909
Send a message via AIM to Crash440
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyboy View Post
I agree Ed.

here's my response:

Mr. Freitas,

Well, I thank you for your time to respond to my question.

Yes, everyone's definition of 'good cause' is different and I do commend you for at least being open to issuing some. I do still feel that a 'shall issue' county would be better.

As for a specific example of my own... well, personally I travel a fair amount every year to Southern California, Nevada, Arizona and sometimes farther. In those travels, I spend alot of time on the highways in the middle of nowhere late at night, with only a few people around... none of them CHP or sheriffs. In the rare occasions that i'm stuck on the side of the road for something (breakdown, rest or streatching) or even when I've reached my destination. which is sometimes the middle of the desert or the forest, as I'm an avid camper and wheeler. I've never been comfortable with not having protection close at hand. However, because of the laws and that I don't have a CCW, I cannot easily protect myself without breaking the law.

And also, where I live in the county, we have some, lets say, less than desirable people that live down the road from us who tend to explore things that don't belong to them... while there is the right to defend myself on my property, these type of people, don't always find you at home. You never know where something is going to happen
. I've owned guns for nearly 10 years or so now and had never had to show one for self-defense and I'd prefer to keep it that way for the rest of my natural life.

However, I'm a firm believer in being prepared for the worst and hope for the best. I have car insurance, just in case, i carry snow chains in my truck, just in case, i have lanterns and dry food, just in case if floods, and so on.

Thank you for you time.

Shaun Bootsma
if the fucking SO's would have documented or bothered to give me a case # on stalker #5, or the hairball freak that chased me into my yard while screaming he was going to kill me I would have a leg to stand on, but those worthless, and yes I say worthless because the ONLY reason I called them in the first place was to document a paper trail for MY DEFENSE when I was forced to protect myself

now there is only a record of me making a call, not a case # stating my life was in danger or any details at all as to why I made a call for help . To me those incidences would render a 'shall issue' cause.

Congrats on your move to a smarter county Rockiller

Good job on the letter hun, and I think it's disgusting we don't even get a say on who our sheriff is at least we will get to vote against torliott, who is in crotchlicking positions with woosely, boxer AND pelosi so far she has only run for city office's, now mayor, but we being county are not allowed to vote in those. this year she is running for a county seat

hey Mo, can you tell the Uncle Ted clip has me a lil riled up today?

70 CCW's is alot more than in the 90's, IIRC it was like 3 or something stupid like that they would issue.
__________________
TDO Member
BUY OUR JERKY @ offroadjerky.com
Crash440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5132
Posts: 26,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash440 View Post

70 CCW's is alot more than in the 90's, IIRC it was like 3 or something stupid like that they would issue.
We probably have 3 times that just in my little town of 1800

Here's to hoping you guys can change his mind for the better
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13807
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 14,909
Send a message via AIM to Crash440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray Boudreaux View Post
We probably have 3 times that just in my little town of 1800

Here's to hoping you guys can change his mind for the better
here's to hoping

we live in Libafornia, someday I hope it will change, someday *sigh*
__________________
TDO Member
BUY OUR JERKY @ offroadjerky.com
Crash440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5132
Posts: 26,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash440 View Post
here's to hoping

we live in Libafornia, someday I hope it will change, someday *sigh*
I walked into a gun shop in Concord one day and asked about CCW and about got laughed out of the place.
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13807
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 14,909
Send a message via AIM to Crash440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray Boudreaux View Post
I walked into a gun shop in Concord one day and asked about CCW and about got laughed out of the place.
I did that here in Petaluma and in Dublin too

hey, we still need to take that CCW class you paid for, for last xmas honey.......of course I know it's not legal in this stupid state but ...........
__________________
TDO Member
BUY OUR JERKY @ offroadjerky.com
Crash440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.