New Site Update Community - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Forum Support > Pirate4x4.com Site Support
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Iím posting some garbage on IG frankttttank Mostly memes and throwbacks.
Yea I follow
Old 03-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post

- Cricket and Your Community Team
But what about Doug, and Doug's axles?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesnít seem correct once the site goes live, donít panic! Weíll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

Whatís next?

I bet youíre thinking, ďWhat does this mean for me and the community?Ē It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. Youíll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each memberís contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Cricket and Your Community Team

So you post this at 1130 this morning and don't bother to return and interact with suggestions and or questions.

Just crickets in the back ground.

This just affirms everyone's fears that you are going to do exactly what we are hoping you won't do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I donít know what time zone they are in, But when I ask them for things they usually do them before 8 AM PST. I donít think itís crazy unusual that they have not been back.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
no, it's a fucking PSA. this is too far along to turn off if they are at the 'announce it' level.

learned something random the other day. Sites like IG and such, that rely on selling ads and shit actually pay content creators because it generates interest that keeps driving people to the site.

now, i fully realize there is no sense in paying people to post on pirate, but removing the paywall for picture hosting purposes and unfucking the intrusive tracker ads would go a long way to bringing back content creators = more google search clicks from the randoms

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 619097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I donít know what time zone they are in, But when I ask them for things they usually do them before 8 AM PST. I donít think itís crazy unusual that they have not been back.

Vertical Scope is out of Toronto, so Eastern Time.
#1SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2020, 10:58 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
That's what I was thinking. God, I hope not.

Exactly!

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2020, 11:12 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
no, it's a fucking PSA. this is too far along to turn off if they are at the 'announce it' level.

learned something random the other day. Sites like IG and such, that rely on selling ads and shit actually pay content creators because it generates interest that keeps driving people to the site.

now, i fully realize there is no sense in paying people to post on pirate, but removing the paywall for picture hosting purposes and unfucking the intrusive tracker ads would go a long way to bringing back content creators = more google search clicks from the randoms
This truly the end of Pirate as we know it.

I'm W.A.G.'ing they're going to change to the format that FSB now uses.

If they indeed use that; everything about Pirate will be gone.

The content; I'm not sure.

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #34 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
At some point you would think that they would start to get the feeling that they really aren't welcome here.

Dr Danger
Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Kill the mobile version so I don't have to force load the desktop version on my phone.

Make it easier to upload photos so I don't have to use a 3rd party hosting service.

Please don't change the format of the desktop site at all. I was pretty active on another forum but stopped visiting entirely after a bad format change. If you fuck it up badly enough I'll stop coming here too.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 81613
You guys are just old and set in your ways, they are gonna make this place more scalable and Enhance your experience and 10 other buzz words I can't come up with at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Ever hear the phrase, if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging? Might want to give that some thought as everything you do fucks shit up even more.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 129493
Would it be possible to mirror the site including content and host it independently? It'd be a crime to lose such an internet and 4WD fixture.
-Andy
happen in 2018. Additional thanks to East Coast Gear Supply, PSC, & WFO Concepts for their excellent products and support.
LowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
So if people stop complaining about site performance will you leave it alone?

Can you guarantee you won't lose years of Tech, hard work and money spent by the contributors?

I'm going to download my threads for safekeeping, but you guys need to back this shit up to the moon before you pull the trigger.

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
If it's anything like what they did on Jeepforum or some of their other sites, it's just going to mean a shittier layout, more ads, and a ton of broken features that will never get fixed.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
You guys are just old and set in your ways, they are gonna make this place more scalable and Enhance your experience and 10 other buzz words I can't come up with at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but the FSB site got a side bar that cuts the screen down about 1/4. This side bar has some buttons that use to be at the top. When you scroll down, it turns to ads. Sometimes there's nothing in it, but it always cuts your view down 1/4. Really sucks. Also, mixed within the threads there will be ads that look like another post. I haven't seen one improvement.

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
If it's anything like what they did on Jeepforum or some of their other sites, it's just going to mean a shittier layout, more ads, and a ton of broken features that will never get fixed.
That's exactly what they're doing.

And it's opening the door to hard coding the ads so AdBlock can't block them. It even causes problems for NoScript or Ghostery as the ads become so embedded in the basic functionality of the site.

Basically welcome to FaceBook, but with less traffic.

DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #43 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 44662
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
That's exactly what they're doing.

And it's opening the door to hard coding the ads so AdBlock can't block them. It even causes problems for NoScript or Ghostery as the ads become so embedded in the basic functionality of the site.

Basically welcome to FaceBook, but with less traffic.
Welp, fuck em. VS can suck a dead walrus dick. Lance and Camo had a good run of it, VS has "enhanced" this bitch into the ground. I refuse to use the mobile version, it was unusable.

EDIT: There are 9 trackers on this page.

Last edited by PONY_DRIVER; 03-26-2020 at 10:46 AM.
PONY_DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 57779
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
This place had a good run. Where we going next?
this

World Proof your children, Don't child proof the world
nahmus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #45 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Goddamnit!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil,yota View Post
So you post this at 1130 this morning and don't bother to return and interact with suggestions and or questions.

Just crickets in the back ground.

This just affirms everyone's fears that you are going to do exactly what we are hoping you won't do.

Itís a bot!!!!
Youíre talking to a Fkn bot!!!!!
Faaaaaaawk!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
Huh...

So no different than everyone tellin you to STFU.

Oh wait!

I must be tellin a bot to STFU

Dr Danger
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #48 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 208231
Hello all,

After reviewing the above concerns I will answer some overall general questions to try to help ease some fears.

The community will be moving to a highly customized version of Xenforo and use the same format as - https://www.powerstroke.org/

All your key data will be migrated including:
- Threads/Posts
- Private messages
- Links
- Images/galleries
- Username and passwords

There could be some legacy areas that might not format properly so we will back those up and restore at a later date if needed but we will not be losing any main forum data or content.

I am happy to answer additional specific questions for you guys below.

Jeff M

Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Send a message via AIM to budget76
holy shit that format is HORRIBLE to navigate

well Pirate, it's been a great run. Going to miss all the regulars I've been reading/following/communicating with for the last 16 years
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM   #50 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 883300
Quote:
Originally Posted by budget76 View Post
holy shit that format is HORRIBLE to navigate

well Pirate, it's been a great run. Going to miss all the regulars I've been reading/following/communicating with for the last 16 years
It will take some time to get used to, however, it will be much quicker, more secure, and help Pirate4x4 grow with current Google search and mobile best practices.

If you have any specific feedback or questions I would be glad to help.

Jeff M
AG Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in