Classic Nylint Bronco coverted to R/C - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17351
Classic Nylint Bronco coverted to R/C

Back when I was a kid in the late 60's/early 70's, one of my favorite toys was a "Fire Chief" red Nylint Bronco. Like most toys, it got played with hard and lost somewhere along the way. A few weeks ago, I came across one just like it at an estate sale, I had to buy it. It was in pretty good shape, but not perfect.

I decided to see if I could convert it to R/C without disturbing the patina the years had given the body. The Nylint Broncos are not a common scale (1/8, 1/10, 1/24, etc), they're more like 1/14, which makes it hard to find any parts from other models or R/C vehicles that fit right. I finally came across a R/C 4x4 truck on eBay that looked like I could use the chassis from. It was close, I had to move the rear axle forward a few millimeters, shorten both driveshafts, and relocate the battery. I also removed the internal springs from the stock "shocks" and converted them coilovers, moved the tie rod to the top of the steering knuckles, and installed an adjustable drag arm from the servo to the passenger knuckle. I left the body just like I found it, other than removing the cross brace behind the seats.

The interior floor and rear wheel tubs I made from flat lexan, painted with Rustolelum Textured spray paint to resemble bedliner. The shifter is an worn out Dremel bit. The roll cage I fabricated out of 1/4" round aluminum rod. Working on a rear bumper/spare tire holder.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 52361
That's too cool, I have the same bronco, but in like a peach color on the shelf
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 174037
Very cool! Sub'd for updates.
will12785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 143737
That's awesome.

Somewhere I have a Nylint 1 ton looking dump truck, with the spring assist dump, a boat trailer, think the truck for that is either a Gladiator, or a CJ, can't recall, and I believe theres a Jeep FC. You have given me bad ideas.

Link to the RC chassis?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Very cool, nice work!!
COcamper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 98535
Very cool!! My mom has a tow truck, dump truck and semi with car hauler that were my uncles. I've thought about RCing the tow truck for years but can't talk myself into cutting it up.
dentedsub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 98535
Have you thought about trying to keep the hubcaps?
dentedsub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17351
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
That's awesome.

Somewhere I have a Nylint 1 ton looking dump truck, with the spring assist dump, a boat trailer, think the truck for that is either a Gladiator, or a CJ, can't recall, and I believe theres a Jeep FC. You have given me bad ideas.

Link to the RC chassis?
Just search for WPL R/C on eBay or Amazon. They have several versions, I picked up a Toyota 4x4 RTR for around $30. The quality of the chassis and parts are more "toy" grade than "hobby", (the steering is not proportional, just full left or right, tiny screws into plastic instead of machined threads, etc), but for $30 it's not bad. 4 link suspension, real driveshafts, soft tires, Li-on battery...could be worse. The Toyota body is well detailed and looks good, I may end up using it for something in the future.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WPL-C24-1-1...5254220407c5ab
Old 11-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 37866
Looks great! I have around 20 or so of the Nylint Bronco and been wanting to do this just couldn't figure out what chassis to use. What else di you need looks like the kit doesn't come with a controller??
Old 11-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicbronconut View Post
Looks great! I have around 20 or so of the Nylint Bronco and been wanting to do this just couldn't figure out what chassis to use. What else di you need looks like the kit doesn't come with a controller??
Not sure about the DIY kit, but the RTR model does come with everything needed (controller, battery, charger, chassis, body) for nearly the same price.
The quality is not that great, but for about $30, at least it's cheap.

You'll need to shorten the wheelbase of the chassis a little to match up with the Bronco body (I moved the rear axle forward). If you want an interior floor, it's easy to make one out of flat plastic, unless you want to cut up the original nylint chassis - I didn't, so I used some scrap lexan I had lying around.

If you've never disassembled a Nylint Bronco, there are 2 small spot welds under each door opening that secure the body to the chassis. Some careful work with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel will cut through them.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 37866
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybroncoguy View Post
Not sure about the DIY kit, but the RTR model does come with everything needed (controller, battery, charger, chassis, body) for nearly the same price.
The quality is not that great, but for about $30, at least it's cheap.

You'll need to shorten the wheelbase of the chassis a little to match up with the Bronco body (I moved the rear axle forward). If you want an interior floor, it's easy to make one out of flat plastic, unless you want to cut up the original nylint chassis - I didn't, so I used some scrap lexan I had lying around.

If you've never disassembled a Nylint Bronco, there are 2 small spot welds under each door opening that secure the body to the chassis. Some careful work with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel will cut through them.
Thanks for the extra info, yea I've taken quite a few apart I've "restored" a bunch for my great nieces and nephews I fix them up, paint then their favorite color and give them out for Christmas presents, have two in the works for this year
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in