My new ride - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Rally Racing

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Not bad at all, man. Especially for your fist time out with this car. I have to ask, does your car have a limited slip rear diff? It seems like your getting a lot of one wheel dirt flinging one some of the corners.
Anywho.. Some pro tips for you. Now, take any of this as you want, as gravel is different every time. And in time, you will develop your own techniques for getting your beast around.

First, I like your steering inputs. Nice and smooth. Good counter steering. Your reading the car and giving it good input. Your not going nuts with the wheel and sawing it all over the place. In gravel, sharp inputs on the wheel just give you understeer.
Your last run, all be it a little slower, is your best run. Its aggressive. Your lines are good and car control is decent. Your using the throttle. Bingo! This is where you need to be. Your not going to hurt your car here. F'ing push it and find out its limits! Most drivers find that they reach their limits long before they reach the cars limit. You know that spot where your brain says, "You going too fast for this corner!" Thats the point where you give it more throttle and find out just how wrong it can be. Thats rally. Thats why people say we pro's are nuts. And this is exactly why rally associations dont allow people to just jump right into a STI and race. They have to start out in a car like yours and learn how to control it in crazy situations.
When you launched out of that gate, I know you thought "This is the last run. F'k it all to hell, im going for it!"
And you drove it very well.
Okay, some pointers:
One of the first things I noticed is that your driving this like its a tarmac track. There is the Tarmac race line, then there is the Gravel Rally line. Stop hugging the inside cones on a corner unless it sets you up for the next corner after it. Let your car slip a little wide near the outside cones. This is where your traction and speed will be. Your cars momentum is working for you when you swing a little wider. When you hug tight to an apex on gravel with a rwd car, I bet your fighting it the entire way. It wants to push. I know it does. To correct this, you slow down and counter steer. That just slows you down.
The right way is to hang wide, out of the dug in lines from the other cars. you have gravel tires for a reason. They find traction in the dirt. They need something to bite into. The compacted lines from other cars is not the place to find it.
Swing wide in the sweeping corners, give it a little throttle and let that bmw's fat ass swing out and steer you around that corner. Your car will find the right line, you just need to let it. In time, you will learn to feel it. Its hard to explain. Its that fine line where you feel your car hook up and want to go a certain direction. Thats your line. In pro rally, you have only one chance to find this line. Your lucky that you have 5 or more attempts

It looks to me like your braking a little early. A good way to help with this is look at the lines created by the other drivers. You can tell by how deep its dug in as to where they mash on the binders. Thats your starting point. Each time, try to go in a little deeper.

Next time out, set up a camera on your floorboard for one of the runs. Id love you get a shot of your footwork in the pedal box and see how well you dance with the pedals.

Lastly, steer more with the throttle. There are a few understeer situations that look like they could have been avoided by a blip of the throttle to help the car rotate.

Thats about it, man. Good job for your first time out! Oh, and welcome to the obsession

Last edited by SMC; 07-15-2013 at 07:31 PM.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Wow thanks for the big response!

I was told it has a limited slip by the po, no idea what condition it's in tho.

I definitely did want to hit it a little harder on the last lap. Especially after I short shifted coming out of one of the tighter turns early in the lap, then blowing wide on the last hairpin. Definitely could have pushed it harder tho. A foot view would be pretty awesome. And ill defintely try to use your tips. I'm getting excited about the next event already!

Last edited by quikdrummer; 07-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.
quikdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 254961
Digging the BMW. I ran a 94 integra for a couple years. Tire wise we had a similar dot rule and I found hankook I pikes are the way to go they are dot studdable with huge cleats and they have a nice reinforced and fairly stiff sidewall. Looks like they setup a nice technical course. Have fun.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 45769
This is great! Keep posting please.
AQUATEENHUNGERFORCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Nice!
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Next event is coming up sep 28th. I really need to get new struts before, but well see if the funds are available. Also the Prescott rally is oct 4th/5th and I am going to be volunteering, should get some sweet pics/video.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Getting ready for next weekends rallyx. My battery hold down clamp is missing so I nearly didn't pass inspection last time, ratchet straps kept me in. So I built this out of scrap steel and coated it in flex seal, hopefully won't get any sparks

I also got my assignments for the Prescott rally. Time control at the finish line on day one, and two different roadblocks over four stages on day two. Super excited.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Awesome, man! Have a good time! When you have spare time.. If you have spare time, feel free to talk to the racers. I dont know a single one that wont give you advise or get all chatty when it comes to the sport
Old 09-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 230734
had a blast at the event yesterday.

first off, I got a hotel room instead of sleeping in my truck. made a HUGE difference

Felt a lot more confident than I did at the first one. I ended up placing 4th in stock 2, behind three guys driving the same ford focus. I beat all the stock rwd cars, so if they had split the classes I would have a trophy. I am still on the cheapest falken street tires, and my struts are completely shot. They were spewing fluid everywhere by the end of the race If I can afford it I will be getting tires and struts, but for sure I need the struts before the next race in Nov.

Heres the official results:

And a few pics from the event, I'm editing the video together still

Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Tucson Rally #5, My Run - YouTube
Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
F'in A man. Those were some proper quick runs! VAST improvement over your first time out. First, I love the auto panning camera. Some people pay big bucks for that kind of setup. Good camera placement. Those poor struts were defiantly loosing their guts all over your tires. When you replace them, look for a good stock strut. If your going to invest in anything, get a good set of performance swaybars. For rally-x, you dont need stupid amounts of suspension travel like gravel rally. Your not doing jumps etc. The stock spring rate and valving is fine for this application. What you want to cut down on is body roll. Swaybars are the key for that as well as urethane suspension and steering bushings. Those simple upgrades will take you to the next level of racing dynamics.

Footwell: Ditch the floor mats! Im surprised that tech inspection didnt make you get rid of them. They have a nasty habit of sliding around and getting wedged under the throttle or brakes.
Nice inputs here with your throttle/brakes. Here is a little trick you learn in rally school. (not that I went. I just learned from experience) When the car gets loose and squirmy, instead of taking your foot off the throttle and tapping the brakes to reign it in, keep your foot on the throttle giving the car power and use your left foot to apply the brake at the same time. This will bring the car back in and you wont loose momentum or have to rev back into your power band. In PGT rally, this is an absolute must. We run the stock punny turbo and a 32mm restrictor on it as well. If you take your foot off that throttle even for a split second, thats it. Your power is gone for a few crucial seconds until the turbo can spool back up again. It works remarkably well. More so in loose, muddy conditions.

I dont have much input for your driving as your getting it down rather damn well, man. Your finding good lines. Braking later and later in the runs. You letting the cars momentum work for you, not against. Your letting your car swing wide at the right times, and your hugging the corners that set you up for the next one. Your no longer driving like your on a tarmac track. Your driving like you should on dirt! Honestly, your getting the feel for this faster than quite a few pro drivers I know
The only thing I can add is avoid the dug in ruts from the other racers when ever possible. You can find more traction in soil thats not all torn up. Hmm.
Hell, thats about it.
Upgrade your swaybars, bushings and get some beefier tires and you will have a great performing car that you can grow with.

Build up your car slowly. One upgrade at a time. Let it grow as your skill level grows with it. I know too many people who drive a car thats beyond their ability. (most STI owners ) And it bites them in the end.

Bravo man. I have a distinct feeling that you have slipped into the obsession that quite afew of us have come to know. I look forward to one day, seeing your name on the window of a rally car next to mine in tech inspection at a stage rally.

Cheers!

Last edited by SMC; 10-01-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
F'in A man.

Cheers!

I found out I had a 20% coupon for autozone's website and they carry the bilstein B6 strut assembly. So I ordered those today.

Also my buddy/co-driver had an idea on the way home to look into retread snow tires. So I might look into that.

Good call on the mats, I kept thinking about them then forgot to take them out before the race.

I had tried left foot braking while I was practicing leading up to this event. It definitely doesnt feel natural at all so when I got into the heat of the moment I forgot all about it. What I was consciously doing, and I doubt its proper driving technique, but I was stabbing the clutch on the entry of most of the turns, keeping the throttle open and using the clutch to shift the weight forward and get the butt swinging. I only hit the brakes (by my count) 5 times during the actual lap. Last event and during my practice runs stabbing the brakes hard just makes it want to understeer, probly especially due to the wobble effect from the blown out struts, which is pretty visible on the tire view One of the course workers at the finish line stopped me because she thought the wheel was coming off when I went to brake hard lol. So we will see how much that changes with a new set of dampeners.

I am working the prescott rally this weekend, should have lots of pics from that. 25 cars are registered, and one of the co-drivers is the guy who hosts the tucson rallycross series, so thats pretty cool.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 230734
And...

After the first run group finished we were asked to help clean the track up a little before the second group. And that turned into me jumping into a vest and working the back third of the course, calling in cone penalties, monitoring the track etc. So I was able to get the camera right into a few corners, they normally dont let people with cameras onto the track for safety reasons.

Tucson Rallycross #5, Run Group #2 - YouTube

Last edited by quikdrummer; 10-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Here ya go. Quick video for you. Colin McRae Basic Rally Techniques - YouTube

Have fun at prescott! Its a very good rally. I love the stages there. Good spots for speed, not crazy rocky. Always placed well when I ran. Co-driver go a little sick on stage 6. When your looking at pace notes and stuff is wizzing past your field of vision ,its easy to get motion sickness At least he didnt puke until after we were clear of the stage and on the way to Parc ferme.

Last edited by SMC; 10-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 230734
So I got to build a new set of struts for the first time today. Everything went fine until the test drive, having never done this before, I didn't order new upper mounts/bearing assembly with the struts. Got it all back together and have a nasty case of memory steer. I can see the rubber part of the mount moving so I will be ordering the uppers and rebuilding the strut again. I could probly rally cross it as is but every time coming out of a hard turn it pulls that same direction for a while.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Yup. New tophats for the struts and dont forget to get an alignment. It seems kinda silly, but a proper alignment can make a world of difference in a cars handling. Different setups will have different results. In my awd scoobie, I ran very little toe front and rear. It made for querky road manners but was stellar in the soil. But awd sets up differently than rwd or fwd. Check out specialstage.com for ideas on what to run on your car. A WEALTH of knowledge there.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Pulled the struts back off and replaced the upper mounts.

Then I was bored and saw some leftover plate in the corner of the garage and built this:

It looks off center because I was off center. 1/8" plate, and I am going to countersink the mounting holes. I welded two mounts to the main engine crossmember and the front mounts to the bumper. For now it covers the steering components, sway bar, and front half of the motor. I will be making a second piece to go from the engine crossmember back to the body crossmember under the bell housing area.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 7354
Nice rig. Welcome to the insanity. Check out Dave Kern's threads on Special Stage and Rally Anarchy. He has an E36 compact and another E36. He found a lot of weak points on these cars and you can learn from his mistakes

I started stage rally in 2011 and wrecked on my 6th event. Rebuilt the car and just got one race in this year and DNF'd the second day with electrical gremlins. Rally is has a lot of great folks in it, it really is like a family.

As far as the left foot braking, I would not bother with it until you get the basics down in weight transfer and car control. I do it, but I run a FWD where the benefits of LFB are more pronounced. Meaning, I can keep the throttle pinned and control the radius of my turn with the left foot braking. However, get used to moving the weight from the front of the car to the rear and back and when to time the steering inputs. Honestly, the steering wheel is just a "suggestion" to the turn. All the magic comes in when you lighten up the rear end and get the car to rotate when you want it to.

hope to see you next year at some rally's We drive the butt ugly Dodge Neon, #49, but there might be an AWD car in my very near future.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 14680
June 21,22 2014-come up to Boise for the Idaho Rally. Thinking SeanP might have a little pay back issue with a certain corner? Added another short stage this year. Good roads, good people, good times.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
Nice rig. Welcome to the insanity. Check out Dave Kern's threads on Special Stage and Rally Anarchy. He has an E36 compact and another E36. He found a lot of weak points on these cars and you can learn from his mistakes

I started stage rally in 2011 and wrecked on my 6th event. Rebuilt the car and just got one race in this year and DNF'd the second day with electrical gremlins. Rally is has a lot of great folks in it, it really is like a family.

As far as the left foot braking, I would not bother with it until you get the basics down in weight transfer and car control. I do it, but I run a FWD where the benefits of LFB are more pronounced. Meaning, I can keep the throttle pinned and control the radius of my turn with the left foot braking. However, get used to moving the weight from the front of the car to the rear and back and when to time the steering inputs. Honestly, the steering wheel is just a "suggestion" to the turn. All the magic comes in when you lighten up the rear end and get the car to rotate when you want it to.

hope to see you next year at some rally's We drive the butt ugly Dodge Neon, #49, but there might be an AWD car in my very near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
June 21,22 2014-come up to Boise for the Idaho Rally. Thinking SeanP might have a little pay back issue with a certain corner? Added another short stage this year. Good roads, good people, good times.

You guys both compete in the CRS? I am eyeing the gorman ridge and high desert rallies for 2015, to go with my hometown prescott. Idaho and Mendecino are one hell of a haul for me, boise 13+ hours and mendecino 15 or so.

There is a very distinct possibility that I will be getting an almost ready to race 04 Lancer (non-evo) in the next week or so. As long as it all holds up to what the owner has told me: The cage was completed in July, hasnt been logbooked yet. Built under the eye of one of the safety inspectors I met at the prescott rally, and the price is right. Seats, brackets and harnesses are brand new and fia/sfi tags of june 13. It would be right on the edge of value limits for entering performance stock, otherwise CRS-2. If it all goes thru, I would probly get my feet wet in my local rally before traveling. Who knows tho, maybe I'll just jump in blindly

I will be keeping the BMW as a project car to build in my spare time and as funds allow. Unless the wife gets pissed at all my "projects" and makes me sell one lol

Last edited by quikdrummer; 10-26-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 7354
I will probably compete in most of the CRS season next year. Idaho is fantastic. Gorman is a brutal course where you must conserve your car to finish.

I am looking at moving from my Neon into an open class car next year. I will put it up for sale on Special Stage when it is ready.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
I will probably compete in most of the CRS season next year. Idaho is fantastic. Gorman is a brutal course where you must conserve your car to finish.

I am looking at moving from my Neon into an open class car next year. I will put it up for sale on Special Stage when it is ready.

well if nothing else I will be at the prescott rally helping out.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #48 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
The Gorman Ridge rally is brutal. Its not really a race for cars. Just survival. Big rocks, deep ruts. Its hard to carry speed on any of the stages. Its just proof that on the west coast, its getting harder and harder to get permits for good trails to race on. There are generally few entries for Gorman in comparison to other rallys. I ran it once. Bent both rear control arms. Broke one wheel and bent up my exhaust. And I didnt even have an off track excursion. Just f-ing big ass rocks that seem to roll right into the middle of the damn course. After that I beefed the hell out of my undercarriage protection and fabbed up exhaust system that tucked into the trans tunnel to keep it out of harms way.
Fun: Yes. But its more of a rally truck kinda course. I hate to say it. Really I do. But Id recommend skipping Gorman.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
The Gorman Ridge rally is brutal. Its not really a race for cars. Just survival. Big rocks, deep ruts. Its hard to carry speed on any of the stages. Its just proof that on the west coast, its getting harder and harder to get permits for good trails to race on. There are generally few entries for Gorman in comparison to other rallys. I ran it once. Bent both rear control arms. Broke one wheel and bent up my exhaust. And I didnt even have an off track excursion. Just f-ing big ass rocks that seem to roll right into the middle of the damn course. After that I beefed the hell out of my undercarriage protection and fabbed up exhaust system that tucked into the trans tunnel to keep it out of harms way.
Fun: Yes. But its more of a rally truck kinda course. I hate to say it. Really I do. But Id recommend skipping Gorman.
Interesting. What about the ridgecrest one?

Looks like the lancer is a no go. There were some issues that came up during thre test drive I took it on that were kind of a deal breaker. So I'm just gonna start working on the BMW more after this next rallyx next week. I'll have all winter
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 7354
High Desert Trails (Ridgecrest) has some very nice stages. mostly smooth. There are some very very fast sections. My little Neon with 2.0 liters of fury topped out about 95, in 4 gear because 5th was too long/no torque. Keith Jackson who won in in Subie that year hit 135 on the same section.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in