My new ride - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Rally Racing
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 7354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
The Gorman Ridge rally is brutal. Its not really a race for cars. Just survival. Big rocks, deep ruts. Its hard to carry speed on any of the stages. Its just proof that on the west coast, its getting harder and harder to get permits for good trails to race on. There are generally few entries for Gorman in comparison to other rallys. I ran it once. Bent both rear control arms. Broke one wheel and bent up my exhaust. And I didnt even have an off track excursion. Just f-ing big ass rocks that seem to roll right into the middle of the damn course. After that I beefed the hell out of my undercarriage protection and fabbed up exhaust system that tucked into the trans tunnel to keep it out of harms way.
Fun: Yes. But its more of a rally truck kinda course. I hate to say it. Really I do. But Id recommend skipping Gorman.
When are we going to see you back out?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post

Yeah, I'd like to put a face to some pirates. Are any of you guys planning to come to prescott? If I cant get my car done (which is likely since I really havent even started on it yet) and anyone is in need a crew member or anything, hit me up. I'm strongly considering finding a suit and hans and trying to get in as a codriver too... I'll need that gear anyways.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikdrummer View Post
Interesting. What about the ridgecrest one?

Looks like the lancer is a no go. There were some issues that came up during thre test drive I took it on that were kind of a deal breaker. So I'm just gonna start working on the BMW more after this next rallyx next week. I'll have all winter
Sorry to hear that they deal with the evo fell apart. What was wrong with the car to kill the deal like that?

I dont have any input on the Ridgecrest stages. I never was able to squeeze it into the schedule. Either I couldn't get off work, or my co-driver couldn't get off work. And we work so well together, its strange having anybody else in the passenger seat reading pace notes into the headset.
Sucks, but when I was active in rally, there were a bunch of races I never had a chance to get to. Never seemed to work out with Ridgecrest. From the videos ive seen, it looks like a fun rally course. But, I have no personal experience on it.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
No plans to get back into rally in the near future. I loved it with a passion! But on the west coast, there are just not enough races to keep me happy. And, as stupid as it sounds, my skill quickly out grew the car that I had built. I knew that I could be faster. But my WRX had peaked in what it was capable of. I started to get pissed that my reactions were far faster than the response of my scoobie. And to rebuild it into an open class car the way I wanted to, would quickly kill any sort of budget that I was capable of building. Sponsorship is getting harder and harder to gain these days. And Rally just fails to have the insane following stateside like it does over the pond. Trying to sell your team and machine to a sponsor and saying, "Minimal television coverage, not that many races and little print media coverrage" Is no selling point. After the WRX sat in the shop for a few months, gathering dust, I decided to sell it and build a crawler. So I sold the scoobie to a 'kid' who really wanted to get into rally. I even had a spot for him to display the car in a motorsports expo. I couldnt get a hold of him for many months after the sale of the car. Then one day on craigslist, I started to see parts from my rally car appear. Got in contact with him. Found out that he wrapped it around a telephone pole a few days after buying it from me while street racing. The cage saved his life, while giving him a damn good knock in the head. Roll bar padding is still a hell of a thing to bounce your head off of.

If I had the funds to build again, for open class. I would jump back into it in a heart beat. But as it sits, Im actually looking to move into desert racing and short course. VORRA, BIDT and the like. More west coast friendly of a sport. That and 500 mile races over insane terrain get my heart going Im also building a subaru SVX into a ls7 powered track monster for tarmac events. Hill climbs, road courses. Targa newfoundland is one of my goals in life.
Oddly enough, its been suggested that I start a rally school, by a few people in the sport. Ive given it some good thought, but in the end decided not to.
Im no expert in rally. I didnt go to rally school myself. I just strapped in and found what could make my car fast. I learned the hard way as to what worked, and what didnt. Often times making myself look like an idiot in the process. But thats all part of racing. Learning. Gaining experience.
Racing is an absolute passion that so many of us have. The problem is, that passion can quickly turn into an obsession that consumes your life. I cant tell you the sort of withdraws I went through after having quit rally cold turkey. It made my heart ache. Its funny how often I think about it. Every time I sit in a car I think about how I could turn it into a track car or rally car. To the point that its nearly comical. Great example of this is when I bought a new Mazda 3. First thing I did when i got it home was pop the hood and begin planning mods. I swear, my FIRST thought was how a 5.0l v8 would fit nicely in the engine bay. My girlfriend walked up behind me and just said, "No." "No what?" "You cant put a v8 in there. Leave it alone." "How the hell did you??" "I know you. Leave it alone." 3 hours later I had fabricated a cold air intake for it. Hehehehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikdrummer View Post
Yeah, I'd like to put a face to some pirates. Are any of you guys planning to come to prescott? If I cant get my car done (which is likely since I really havent even started on it yet) and anyone is in need a crew member or anything, hit me up. I'm strongly considering finding a suit and hans and trying to get in as a codriver too... I'll need that gear anyways.
Check out my website. Welcome to Team FBDR's Homepage! - Homepage Ill get some pictures of me up there sooner or later.
Shoot me an e-mail. Im at [email protected] I'll send you a book on co-driving. I STRONGLY urge you to read it before hopping in the co-drivers seat. Not only is the learning curve steep, but you are now responsible for keeping your driver and his car alive and on course. Ill scan it tonight for you.

You will not only need a suit, shoes, gloves etc. But also a peltor headset and comm for your helmet. Those are the most common headsets used. Peltor with Flex Boom, Helmet Speakers, and Straight Cord [HK-PF-SP] - $95.00 : Rugged Radios: Headsets, Intercoms, 2-Way Racing Radios and Communication for Motorcycles, Offroad, Circle Track, Drag Racing, NASCAR, Police, and more...
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
Sorry to hear that they deal with the evo fell apart. What was wrong with the car to kill the deal like that?

I dont have any input on the Ridgecrest stages. I never was able to squeeze it into the schedule. Either I couldn't get off work, or my co-driver couldn't get off work. And we work so well together, its strange having anybody else in the passenger seat reading pace notes into the headset.
Sucks, but when I was active in rally, there were a bunch of races I never had a chance to get to. Never seemed to work out with Ridgecrest. From the videos ive seen, it looks like a fun rally course. But, I have no personal experience on it.
The cage and seats and stuff were done well. The wiring had been fiddled with and when I drove it there was some funky stuff going on. Surging, misfiring, idling funny. He had been playing with the ECU and I didnt want to be chasing electrical gremlins after someone else had got into it. I'd rather fix my own messes, ya know? The clutch was slipping, struts were blown out, exhaust was a decent cat-back system but the cat had been hacked out and a straight pipe badly welded in... Just not the 90% race ready car I was expecting. And it was a standard lancer, non-evo. Would have been performance stock in the CRS.

Plus I took my bmw out right after, on the same roads, and just had ten times more fun driving it.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
No plans to get back into rally in the near future.

Check out my website.

Cool, shot you an email. I am planning to attend the Parker race this year at the end of Jan. Its fun scavenging the course the day after lol. A buddy found a complete front clip one year, numerous fenders, a KC hid projector light in perfect shape (someone hadnt completed the welding so the tabs were just tacked on), a few other goodies.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Last arizona rallyx of the year is saturday. It will be first time using the new struts, and I put a cat-back on this week. Minimal if any performance gains, but it sounds pretty good.

Then I have tix to see NIN and Explsosions in the Sky sat night. Should be a good weekend.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Some pics and a video from last weekends event.

Rallycross #6 - YouTube

Also there are tentative plans to coordinate a rallyx on the same weekend as the 2014 prescott rally up here and I am going to be helping to set it up, hopefully.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 230734
oh... and I picked up a set of winterforce tires from a fellow rallycrosser on subaru steelies. They are almost 1.5" total diameter larger than the stock tires, so hopefully they dont rob too much power. And I may be doing some fender trimming
Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 230734
After a rough weekend I needed some garage time to get my head straight. So I got the new snow tires mounted up.

They do rub a bit in a few spots, so I have some trimming to do. The most annoying thing is they catch the damn spring cup on the strut. I did a little surgery with a hammer and grinder and got it pretty close, tire still touches a bit so I'll probly just let it rub itself off. Giggity.

Then I took out some anger on the interior. Gutting out a car is strangely calming.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 230734
so I lost the only key to the bmw in glamis over thanksgiving... had it attached to my truck keys and stranded myself and my family. thankfully my brother in law brought me the spare to the truck so we could get home. and the local bmw dealer is getting me a new key.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 406625
that looks like a blast! I have always wanted to build a budget rally-rig. I winter daily drove my auto-x AE86 though, that was fun.
LoggerLeboe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 230734
So the AZ rally group got the schedule up for 2014, and guess who they decided to put on the flyer?

I got a little excited

I also just got done doing a minor overhaul on a good chunk of the suspension. All new front control arms, ball joints, polyurethane control arm bushings, new sway bar bushings and mounts, new rear shocks and mounts, and 12mm wheel spacers to clear the bigger tires.

I also finished the back half of the engine skid plate. I had bent the body crossmember right under the bell housing at some point so I took that off and fabbed up a new crossmember with the skid attached.

Not very pretty, but should be effective.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 7354
looking good. I would consider running some plate over your brake lines and fuel lines at some point too. Or better yet, run them inside the car.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 42940
Wish we had something like this in Dallas. Sweet thread.
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 06:00 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
Wish we had something like this in Dallas. Sweet thread.
There's a group starting a series somewhere around El Paso. Not sure when it will be up and running tho.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 230734
I pulled the rest of the carpet/insulation crap out of the bmw yesterday. PUlled the seats out to get to it all, those are some heavy bitches. I am in the market for some decent racing seats

Anyways, I broke the plastic doodad that holds the center console around the shifter in place. So I had this mess to deal with

Thats all the wiring from the onboard computer, heated seat switches, window switches, etc. I know I can get rid of a lot of it, but I'm a little scared to start ripping out wiring. So for now it stays. However i didnt feel like staring at it, so I picked up a small panel of sheet metal today and made this (pics are blurry cuz the sun was going down, crappy phone):

Overall Im happy with the fit, but the flasher switch hole turned out shitty, needs some cleaning up and some sort of gasket or something around it, it jiggles around. Also I only had two switches, thus the empty hole. Can't decide whether to do a better job grinding it and leave it bare, or give it some krylon.

Last edited by quikdrummer; 02-01-2014 at 05:27 PM.
quikdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 230734
I decided I didnt like reusing the stock hazard light switch, so cut it out and moved hazards to one of the toggles.

then I cut a hole and made a panel and cleaned it all up. Looks crooked at this angle to the dash... Meh.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 230734
I "competed" in the first rallycross of the year last weekend.

My brother in law and another friend of mine drove as well. Officials told me as owner I would drive the second run group with one other, while the third driver had to go in the first run group. I didnt realize how much of a difference having a pristine, unrutted course would be! My buddy who drove first beat me by over 60 seconds, good enough for second place behind this beauty of a rally prepped MG (who also ran in the first group):

My brother in law did really well, he beat me by almost 30 seconds, most of which came in the first couple laps as I drove terrible. He drove relatively slow, safe and steady. I came out like a bat out of hell and completely over-drove. I was the guy going off course, oversteering out of corners, and doing unnecessary donuts on the fringe of the course because it was more fun than reversing after I blew corners and gates After my first two laps I gave up on being competitive and decided to have as much fun as I could. And in that, I succeeded fully.

Heres a few more pics from the event

That last one was right after one of my off course excursions, which included a donut, which explains the dust lol

Running the larger tires was interesting. Overall I am a fan, I think. They almost got me DQ'd in tech, because the tire still sits right up against the strut cup. It doesnt rub anymore since I put spacers and it rubbed a small groove in the tread. They definitely grab a lot better, I think a lot of my oversteer was due to the car actually TURNING when I steered, instead of slipping and sliding. You can tell a big difference just by the plume of mud and dirt flung up. It did feel a bit sluggish coming up from lower rpms, I figure I'm down around equivalent to 2.85 gearing now. But the new suspension components did their thing, and everything held up great. I have another video coming, not sure when I'll have time to edit it together tho.

Last edited by quikdrummer; 02-18-2014 at 04:32 PM.
quikdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 42940
Sweet! Just post the whole video unedited and when you get time; edit it.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
Sweet! Just post the whole video unedited and when you get time; edit it.

Lol, that fawker is about two hours long.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 42940
start uploading
Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 230734
ha never even worked on the last set of videos, damn real life and shit

I finally had some time today to get out and work on this and the bronco.

On the bmw I decided to do a push button ignition after the little ear in the tumbler broke off as I parked the car after pulling it off the trailer coming home from the last event. Stupid thing held on just long enough to get us thru the race

I also had to disengage the steering lock, hadn't got around to doing it yet. Turns out its super easy on the e36, drill a hole in the bottom of the ignition switch housing and pull out a small spring. (not my pic, took it from the bmw forum I found the info on)

After that it was just a bit of wiring, these are relatively simple ignitions on the pre-95s. Put acc/run on a toggle, and a push button with a relay for the starter. I'm going to put fuel pump on a toggle as well at some point.

Works pretty sweet
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 230734
after not doing much to the bmw over the last few months, I finally started a few little things to get it ready for the next event. Its not til sept but the way I work...

First thing was fixing the driveshaft. The rubber guibo and the center bearing were TOAST.

It was a job getting the exhaust, heat shielding, crossmembers, trans mounts, all that junk out of the way to drop the driveshaft.

I have been trying to figure a way to get a bit more lift in the front end, and hit up a guy who works with a lot of different plastics. I got him to cut me these discs out of 1/2" HDPE. Tomorrow I will be drilling them out to use as strut spacers. I also got a rectangular piece to make a skid for the exposed plumbing under the car.

I also missed out on a set of 5 used gravel rally tires from a rally forum by about half an hour.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Got the spacers finished and installed today. I made four, each is 1/2", I installed two per side. If it throws things too much out of whack I can remove one.

pretty noticeable difference

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in