My new ride - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Rally Racing
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #101 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Looks like your havin a blast! Makes me want to build another rally car
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Did the rallyx on Saturday. I took second out of 5 drivers in mod 2wd. My friend drove the BMW also, got third place, and during his third run he got red flagged because the upper strut bolt had worked its way loose so there was nothing holding the top of the steering knuckle in place. Tire almost folded under. We bashed the lower mounts back into place and i stole a shock bolt off my f150 to get it back on course. Fun times. I got an app that takes video and puts an overlay with speed and a course overview and some other stuff and syncs up to a GoPro so I'm playing around with that.
Attached Images

quikdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 230734
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=YTY74PIN8hM

Here's the overlay video thing. Kinda low quality especially compared to the GoPro.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #104 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Properly quick. When you hit that rut and popped out of gear. I probably shouted "$hit!" about the same time you did!
I noticed you still haven't quite gotten out of the habit of using the tarmac racing line and found the groove for racing in dirt.
Your constantly hunting for that corner apex as if you have stellar traction on a paved surface. *Smacks your hand* Stop it.
I see allot of lost momentum as your hugging in close to the apex, bouncing around then trying to control the car from the additional g-load from the speed. Your having to drive slower to maintain control the car. You Need to aim for a late apex on gravel races. Dont aim for the center of the apex. Aim for after the apex as it starts to transition. Go in a little wider and allow the momentum of the car to rocket you through the corner. Use a little left foot braking while applying the throttle to help stabilize the car.

In the image, your following the grey line. Which is great if you have constant traction and a stable car.
However on the grey line, from point D to point G, your fidgeting with the throttle and fighting the steering. The car is unstable. From point G to point H, your foots to the floor and your trying to keep her ass from wagging out of line. Then by point I your under control and shooting off like a rocket.
There is allot of lost speed in that line. What you need is the Dark Grey line. Thats proper for a loose surface.
Slide it wide and aim for a late apex. Before you even begin to turn, you NEED to be off the brakes. Period. Get you speed where you want it before you hit that corner. 80% of your braking force is with the front tires. These tires also need to steer the car. You have very little traction on dirt. So your front tires cant do two things at once. If your steering, you can be breaking. If your breaking, you cant be steering. Simple as that. If you use the two, then the front locks up and you slide.
When your in a corner, you should be either coasting or accelerating.
There is a way around this. In gravel, if you need to slow down in a corner, Slide the car!
Once you hit point E, roll onto the throttle. This will swing the rear out to steer you into the corner and also scrub off a little more speed. By point F, While still on the throttle, tap the brakes with your left foot. This will stabilize the car. And bingo. Your already pointed where you need to go. By point G, Roll onto full throttle. Dont just smash your foot to the floor. Its called a Late Apex line. Its a far smoother transition for your car with less g-load to bounce you all over the place.
With this line, your already accelerating 30% sooner than a tarmac apex line and your not having to muscle around a tight apex. I guarantee you that this will shave many seconds off your lap times.

Last edited by SMC; 10-20-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 230734
I guess I shoulda clarified, that video was my friend. I'll get mine uploaded and you can critique it too haha.

Still all good advice, and thanks!
Old 10-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 230734
https://youtu.be/VgdUGd0vaac

Alright heres my fastest lap. The actual times for Joels run was 95.362, mine 92.810. I drove worse as the day went on, he got faster, and was on track to beat me til he caught a rut and looped out on the last run. Since we had the strut issue we got bumped to the end of the second run group and the course was tore up pretty good. Fun times.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:16 AM   #107 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
*chuckles* Night and day by way of technique between your driving styles. I got nothing to bitch about with your run
Nice smooth steering inputs. Your rolling onto the throttle, not flat out mashing it every moment. Running the correct lines on the track. Using the cars balance to aid in steering.
I honestly think you would do rather well in a stage rally. It has quite a bit more speed in the corners, so left foot braking becomes more vital to vehicle stability.
Proofs in the pudding, so to speak. A 4 second lead is a lifetime on the track.
Hell, next step is to get a steering quickener to get your steering ratio to 2 turns lock to lock. It will completely change how your car handles. Muuuuch less sawing the wheel.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:36 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 230734
I would love to do a stage rally. Volunteered at Prescott a few weeks ago and it just made it worse. Doesn't help that I keep finding ready to go, log booked cars on specialstage and a few on Craigslist.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 723890
Do you have limited slip differential?
I agree with SMC, quicker steering ratio will help you a lot
Klouczech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 42940
holy thread resurrection!

wonder if the OP still has this car?
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 760521
Indeed!
NDEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 230734
Haven't logged in for years

Don't have the car anymore, sold it a few months ago to get some new suspension bits for my bronco

Last edited by quikdrummer; 03-06-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 656738
did you post a pic of the bronco?
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in