NASA WV Rally - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Rally Racing
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2015, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 345234
NASA WV Rally

Although I haven't done much racing, but it's always been mud bogs with my CJ8. Those are fun but at the same time the race only lasts maybe 15 seconds and it's over. Well I stumbled upon the West Virginia Rally and there's two rally organizations that run there, NASA seems to be the one I should try for. I thought the stock class is what I should try, but those rules are crazy. So I'd have to do an open non turbo class. My plan is to use my J10. It has a 258, 3 speed, and it's part time 4wd. I could take the driveshaft out and enter a 2wd class. My plan has been to get a 4.0L HO head, port it, Clifford header and intake, probably a holley 390, and a small comp extreme cam. Am I in over my head here wanting to race something like in NASA? If I'd of known this race existed I'd of made my CJ8 setup for it but it's too late now. My GMC actually seems the best suited but it's an auto, so that would be too difficult to drive. I do want to make it a manual but at the same time I don't. It's my daily driver and my son rides with me sometimes and a car seat with a manual isn't something I want to deal with. So that leaves the J10. If not NASA, is there something I have a chance in that's similar that's within a few hours drive? Maybe in eastern ohio or Kentucky? I've always liked this style of racing but had no idea there was any around here. I know I won't get first but I don't want to be last and laughed off of the track.
94_C/1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 345234
I discovered the SCCA has an Ohio division with Rallycross events.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
I think your rig will be right at home in rallycross. Though in the open classes, you will be competing with vehicles prepped for this sort of sport. You will have a blast, but dont expect to be winning that class with what you currently have. Traction, cornering and a high center of gravity dont tend to mix crazy well. If you can, lower the ride height, get some stiffer shocks and swaybars. Those mods will aid you a great deal in this sort of sport. If nothing else, just to go get dirty and have fun!
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 345234
I think the Rallycross looks a little more realistic for my truck. I know for sure it would need a shackle reversal up front. Stiffer shocks wouldn't be a problem. This truck is far from road ready so it'll be at the very least next year but that is a slim chance. What about tires? All terrains would be best right? I have General Geabber AT2s on my GMC and that's what's I'd use on the J10 probably.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
A good set of A/T's work best. Its a mix of hardpack and loose soil. MT's tend to suck on hardpack and you slide all over the place. A nice aggressive A/T tread will work well. If you can, run a taller wheel size with your tires to limit the amount of sidewall flex. like a 17" wheel with a 35" tire will work well.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 345234
I'd run a 15 inch rim no matter what size tire. Are wider tires better for stability? I know the pitbull growler is available in 31x11.50 and the trxus STS is available in 33x14.50. The SSR is available in 31x12.50 but they are a bit aggressive.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Stick with 11.5 to 12.5" width. Too wide of a tire and you dont get enough contact patch pressure and you float and understeer something fierce. A smaller contact patch will yield more pressure to the ground per square inch. Thats why in snow rallys, we use super skinny and aggressive tires. In gravel, they get a wider, and on tarmac they get nice and fat because of the sticky compounds we can run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in