Time for another rally truck - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Rally Racing
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 208657
Time for another rally truck

So I just blew the 4th motor on the Impreza at STPR and decided that the Subaru just isn't working out for me. Time to go back to a rally truck. I sold it already (boy, that was quick), so now I'm doing some research into 4 link rears for rally. What, if anything, changes about 4 link setup when running a lowered truck that isn't going to see much articulation?

I know there are going to be a lot of "use the search" responses, but there is a lot to digest at this point, and a shove in the right direction would really help, and be appreciated.
sureshot007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot007 View Post
I sold it already (boy, that was quick), so now I'm doing some research into 4 link rears for rally. What, if anything, changes about 4 link setup when running a lowered truck that isn't going to see much articulation?

*chuckles* A prepped rally car, engine or not will sell in a hurry

Check your sanctioning body rule book, first and foremost. Most wont let you convert to a 4-link. You need to keep the stock pickup points.
What class do you plan on racing in? 2wd, 4wd? Engine displacement? You can only run so big of an engine, if you want to turbo. Even naturally aspirated is limited on size depending on vehicle weight.

As for your question, nothing changes. You just need to setup your ratios correctly. You want your suspension to move and put the power down. 100% AS locks up your rear axle. It basically sits where it sits no matter what. Gives a harsh ride in the thick of it. Ideally, you want 50 to 70% as ratio so you can keep the power down while the rear axle is bobbing all over the place. Less than that, and your shocks will be overworked pushing the axle back down. 80% or higher, and your rear axle will start pushing down. Great for traction when going slow. But in high speed bumps, it will feel like you have no rear suspension. More-so because your weight balance will be nose heavy in a pickup.
Dont look to trophy trucks or the like for your suspension setup. Look at short course trucks. Pro-4 and the like. They have a little more travel than rally car and are setup to be nice and low. Search those forums as pirate is not so much into short course racing.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 208657
Thanks for the tip - that's exactly what I was looking for! My last 2 rally trucks were both Jeeps with leaf springs, and I don't want to deal with that anymore. I could never get the ride height where I wanted, and when I got over 100mph, it was real sketchy.

Oh, and prepped rally cars don't always sell as fast as you think...but cheap ones sure do!

Old 12-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 42940
updates?
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 05:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 208657
Oh I wish. In order to keep the cost on this as affordable as possible, I'm at the mercy of my codriver to cage it in his leisure time. He was busy with work through September, so I only recently delivered it to him (he lives about 100 miles away). So, over the next 2 months I'm hoping he gets it squared away cage-wise and then I can start on the finer details.

It needs to be done for STPR, which is the first weekend in June, so that's the time table. I told him I want it back with a logbook by the end of February, so that I have enough time to order shocks and all that jazz.

I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to stuff like this, so this is killing me inside.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 760521
Looking forward to it!
NDEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 578617
what race org did you build for? I'm in process of building a truck for nasa and ara, and wondering how they will interpret some of the frame rules. Everything is really aimed uni-bodies. Can I punch holes though the floor and weld the cage to the rails?
bumsted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 05:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 208657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumsted View Post
what race org did you build for? I'm in process of building a truck for nasa and ara, and wondering how they will interpret some of the frame rules. Everything is really aimed uni-bodies. Can I punch holes though the floor and weld the cage to the rails?
I was able to get a logbook from Rally America without an issue. It would be much easier to discuss this via email - sureshot007 at gmail dot com. Shoot me a message and I can answer any questions you might have about the build, or about anything rally related.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 369706
Any updates on your truck op?

RALLYRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 369706
I’m thinking about a rally truck build...soonish...
Old 05-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 369706
Hello anyone home?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 42940
RIP thread /thread
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 143737
From the OP's page

Last Activity: 03-29-2018 01:09 PM

Yeah he isn't coming back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in