Anyone attended a Rally School ? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Rally Racing
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
looking good Its funny how most people assume that its awd or nothing when it comes to rally. AWD is nice, more so when you get into the open classes. But FWD and RWD cars are damn quick and SOooo much fun to rally in! Cheaper as well. Like I tell folks all the time, racing is only as expensive as you want it to be.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 369706
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
looking good Its funny how most people assume that its awd or nothing when it comes to rally. AWD is nice, more so when you get into the open classes. But FWD and RWD cars are damn quick and SOooo much fun to rally in! Cheaper as well. Like I tell folks all the time, racing is only as expensive as you want it to be.
Thanks.
Nothing against awd-if thats what you are into.
Personally I have zero interest in it-2wd is where its at!

Even if I won the lottery today-my stage rally build starting tomorrow would be 2wd.
Now I'm not saying down the road someday that I wouldnt go awd as I gained experience......
RALLYRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 369706
Getting back to details on the CRS Ridgecrest school.....

Saturday starts with the classroom instruction.
You get a binder illustrating different rally driving techniques and details.
And several different instructors speak with an overhead projector to help with the teaching.
Instructors run from somewhat to very experienced Stage rally competitors.
And also very experienced rallycross competitors(and I believe autox as well)like Bill.

Even though I plan to run stage rally some day I signed up for the rallyx course(as opposed to the stage rally or navi course).
Our group went out to hit the dirt and practice while other groups(Stage rally or navi) received additional instruction and hit the dirt at a different time.

The practice course was at the Ridgecrest fairgrounds and consisted of a dirt skidpad and figure eight course, along with a modified version of the rallycross course we would race on the next day.

We started on the "skidpad" with instructors in our cars, and got a feel for what speed our cars could go around it before understeering,and then what happened when we left foot braked.

Then we hit the figure eight and practiced the same technique but with rights and lefts.

Then on to the rallyx course for some higher speed fun/practice....

Different instructors would jump in your car for the runs so you would get slightly different prospectives /tips from each and see what worked for you and your timed runs.

Some pics of that day:

Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 369706
Here's info on the CRS rally/rallyx/co-driver school for this year...

I was pleasantly surprised to see they used my car in this school link:

Itís the CRS Rally School, and you have to go! | California Rally Series Rally School

Old 07-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 592521
Hey, I know this is a dead thread but I attended Tim Oneil's School several times while I was rally racing. Hands down the best driving facility, coaches, course setup, and cars in the states. I have been out of racing for some time but did win a Club Rally National Championship in a Production GT WRX back in the day. I credit that to Tim and his teachings.
TWCFI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 9576
I pop over hear so often. It is funny to see the name of the KIDS of folks I used to run Rally's against in the last 1970's (Datsun 510/Mazda RX2).

I remember Ray when he was skinny guy driving a Dodge Colt. (That was a while ago). Hmm, I really should tell my son to get take his '92 240SX out to one of the Rally School classes.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCFI View Post
Hey, I know this is a dead thread but I attended Tim Oneil's School several times while I was rally racing. Hands down the best driving facility, coaches, course setup, and cars in the states. I have been out of racing for some time but did win a Club Rally National Championship in a Production GT WRX back in the day. I credit that to Tim and his teachings.
Ditto to all of that. Except we only did the one day rally experience course. And I've never won a Club Rally National Championship.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in