Trail Communication is Key - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 106262
Trail Communication is Key

Most of you now understand the power of ham radio in the Rubicon.

The rescue of an Auburn Jeep Club member back in July 2007 near the Buck Island bypass got one man hellbent on having a ham license. That man was DENNIS MAYER (W2DWM, silent key). He got us started on the ham classes that have now resulted in more than 400 licenses of users of the Rubicon and High Lakes.

Though John and I offer ham classes twice a year (Spring and Fall) it is NOT necessary to take a class from us in order to get a license. You can take practice tests online (the best place to go is eham.net and go to the "tests" link) but it's best to purchase the most current Technician Manual and study it.

In any case, there have been now 5 successful rescues of OHV people in the Rubicon thanks to ham radio since Dennis got us started in 2007 (not to mention so many more from EDSO SAR members using ham). The most recent rescue, Rachel Gray, has a fighting chance thanks to quick action, ham radio and the complete professionalism of the Jeepers Jamboree personnel. Ham was also used to notify 100s of people (via autopatch) that their family and friends would be leaving the Jamboree later than expected.

I will be teaching another class in October 2012. Space is limited so if you are interested in taking the class, email John Arenz at [email protected]. John has started a list. At Jamboree this past week I was approached by several people wanting this class after Rachel's rescue.

Oh and on a final note: Prayers to Rachel.

[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]We love you Dennis.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
n6boa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Thanks Barb....

I've said it before..I'll say it again......Dennis, you, John and Frank (805) have turned the Rubicon/Sacramento area into one of, if not the best Ham ecosystems around.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 106262
Ken, you mentioned Frank Yost and truly, without Frank's amazing knowledge, his powerful repeater system, and his link to EDSO and EMS, none of this would be possible. So, Frank is the real hero because he supports ham in the Rubicon and he's always monitoring his 805.

Thank you Frank Yost, you're a most humble hero.

[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]We love you Dennis.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
n6boa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Thanks for doing yet another class Barb! Dennis got the program rolling but you and John have done great work carrying the torch. My daughter, her BF and friends were up at the Jambo last weekend and one of their group was in the Jeep that rolled. Luckily, he had only minor injuries but she couldn't call out to let everyone back home know they'd be a day late. She's sending John an email today to sign up!

Thanks again for the great service you've provided so many of us!

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded of California

Last edited by Rubicrawler; 08-02-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Blessings to Rachael and family in this difficult time. Remain positive.

Last w/e we camped at Gold Lake, CA and while not a medical emergency, we had a busted distributor on buddy's CJ6. No cell service. Was able to reach out on the Mt. Rose repeater (1 S bar, but it worked 147.150 pl 123) and via land line relay arranged to have new parts delivered to Portola. Some of the CB guys were awestruck and are now committed to getting their ticket.

Dennis is smiling-- what a legacy!

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 96
Send a message via AIM to Disco Send a message via Yahoo to Disco
Thanks for doing this yet again, Barb! I had Rachel convinced to take the class if you offered it in the fall. The HAM is the most important tool in my rig. Please, everyone, get your license!! It saves lifes!!!

Thanks again!!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 44179
Was on the trail with a broken heim and with Johns help did an autopatch looking for someone to do a parts run, ended up with a spare in the rig but it was nice to have that option.

The bag with my radio is the first thing I grab when packing my rig, I do nee to upgrade to a mobile as well as having my handheld.

/l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)
KJ6CXL
peligroso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
Dennis is smiling-- what a legacy!
Quoted for truth!

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded of California
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 108848
I've been interested in pursuing this for a while... thanks for bringing this up.

I just bought the book off of Amazon for $20 w/ the CD. I found some good info here:

http://www.arrl.org
[COLOR="Olive"][SIZE="3"]#4494[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="6"]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Billet AR15 80% Receivers[/COLOR]

powthief19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 142347
Talking ham

I used to love the fact that being on the trail was an escape from the connection with the real world. Like the Chevy commercial where the perfect camp spot is no bars on the cell phone. For me I realized that radio was a necessary tool during an accident many years ago in the sluice...many know the one I speak of where a women drove off a cliff mistaking the gas for the brake. Life flight was landed within 15 minutes all thanks to the magic box ham radio.

I highly recommend this to all trail users!

Thank You Dennis ,Frank, John ,and Barb!

Sincerly,

KJ6CXC
Old 08-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
None of my customers have their Ham ticket and the cell service has yet to reach out to the Rubicon.....whoot

But on a serious note. Recent events are just yet another display of this great resource. You combine that with the awesome folks we have in and around the trail on a regular basis and you have a lot of areas and situations covered.

Talking with a friend about this just this morning. We spend quite a bit of mid week time up on the trail and just a simple trip could lead to a broken leg or something relatively minor which without contact and no folks out on the trail could turn in to a bad situation very quickly, this goes for all of us. I have my hand held with me at all times. I don't really turn it on that often and have been accused of "Sucking at radio" but it is sure nice to know it is there when we need it.

This is a fantastic tool and resource and I highly recommend taking the time to get the license. As everyone else has said, there are many folks who should be highly commended for their combined radio efforts.

John, Barb, Frank, Ray, Dennis, the list goes on and on.
Thanks everyone!
Tim.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 42887
Send a message via ICQ to stealthjeep1
Where is this October's class being offered? I was at Jambo last weekend and clearly saw the benefits of a ham radio. Guilty, I am interested in getting my license now. Been considering it for the last couple years. Bought the book a year or two ago, just haven't gotten any further with it yet.
97 TJ, 4.0L, Manual, 4.5" RE Superflex Kit, 35" BFG KM2's
78 CJ5, 4.2L, Manual, 3" Skyjacker Lift, 32" Goodyear MTR's.
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4, 5.7L Hemi
2003 Ford F250 4x4 CCSB 6.0L Diesel

Never met a rock I wouldn't park on.
stealthjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 44179
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthjeep1 View Post
Where is this October's class being offered? I was at Jambo last weekend and clearly saw the benefits of a ham radio. Guilty, I am interested in getting my license now. Been considering it for the last couple years. Bought the book a year or two ago, just haven't gotten any further with it yet.
it has been held @ Barb's school in the Sacramento Valley area, in El Dorado Hills prolly will be held their again

/l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)
KJ6CXL
peligroso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Phobohomic

Member # 55687
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthjeep1 View Post
While Barb and John's class and team are the best, there are a multitude of frequent local offerings. Study the book and take practice tests here:
http://www.qrz.com/ht/

Put in your ZIP Code here and get a list of sessions. Looks like they have some in Petaluma in September at the Senior Center.
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

Best of luck to you!

R.I.P. Dennis Mayer. W2DWM. Rubicon Rock Head & Pirate of the Rubicon.
fermentor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
This is a fantastic tool and resource and I highly recommend taking the time to get the license. As everyone else has said, there are many folks who should be highly commended for their combined radio efforts.
It is of huge value for medical evacuation, and getting fire response to the scene quickly was a big deal as well... it is also handy for ordering sparkly, pink replacements for broken brown Jeeps.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7354
I took Barb's class in 2009 and finally got my first radio in June if this year as we use HAM for our rally races. I was surely appreciative of that class and my license as I could help out at Main Time Control with my new radio.

Marni (Mrs. SeanP) will be signing up for Barb's class in Oct.

Thanks!

SeanP (KI6ZFU)
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 70861
Send a message via AIM to 77blazerdriver
I took the class last time and it is great. Also used QRZ a lot for the practice tests. Made it easy to pass the test.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13515
Send a message via AIM to GRIDWNC Send a message via Yahoo to GRIDWNC
We have had conflicts with scheduling for the last few classes. Sent the email and hope we can get in on this one.

Thanks for the amazing service your generosity is providing.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'd rather be vulgar, than an adulterous liar.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Lime"]"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" <Maggie Kuhl[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]If you're afraid to parent don't breed.[/COLOR]

Last edited by GRIDWNC; 08-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.
GRIDWNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
It is of huge value for medical evacuation, and getting fire response to the scene quickly was a big deal as well... it is also handy for ordering sparkly, pink replacements for broken brown Jeeps.

Randii

Yeap that was yet another example of the usefulness of the radio. Not only did I break and was able to get parts in. We had another rig break on the way out and were able to enjoy the "Rubicon Tow Service" and treated to a wonderful meal after many hours strong arming the rig out from Big Sluice.

Not sure the Pink Sparkles and perfume were necessary.....lmao
Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
I took Barb's class in 2009 and finally got my first radio in June if this year as we use HAM for our rally races. I was surely appreciative of that class and my license as I could help out at Main Time Control with my new radio.

Marni (Mrs. SeanP) will be signing up for Barb's class in Oct.

Thanks!

SeanP (KI6ZFU)
Wow, has it been that long?
I need to get off my bottom and finally take the test.
JV rally post #31.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Count me in.
RockMolester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pissing Excellence

Member # 517
Send a message via ICQ to Sillyneck
It's always sounded like a good thing to have. It was just proven again by yall. Guess it's time to step it up!

4457 Team DMR
Poly Performance
Ruffstuff
Barnes Welding Supply Sacramento
RADFLO
Shock tuning..... I only work with underdogs.
Sillyneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyneck View Post
It's always sounded like a good thing to have. It was just proven again by yall. Guess it's time to step it up!
Yes it is! Also a great tool for making new friends and knowing where the neighbors are hanging out. Just ask Disco, this is how we met.....lol
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 108848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyneck View Post
I'm going to shoot for the September class in Petaluma if you want to roll over there with me. Sept 20th.
[COLOR="Olive"][SIZE="3"]#4494[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="6"]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Billet AR15 80% Receivers[/COLOR]

powthief19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 35485
Quote:
Originally Posted by powthief19 View Post
I'm going to shoot for the September class in Petaluma if you want to roll over there with me. Sept 20th.
http://w6ek.org/veexams.html hosts a test the first Saturday of every month in Granite Bay.
TheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in