APRS On Rubicon - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 69199
Awesome, thanks for the great work!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
bump for relevance and info

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Agreed, this goes back to 2012. For what its worth and just a little side caveat. When we first started messing with APRS messaging we had great coverage through most of the area. We noticed shortly after our initial testing that things started to go south.

Further investigation showed that the WARD digipeater/igate (Ward Peak almost 9000ft)went down. I actually took the time to contact the owner and he informed me that most likely snow took it down and due to such had no idea when he would fix it. That was almost two years ago and it aint up yet. He did also state "It's just ham radio, calm down" lmao. Hence the need for more digi's.

In my experience this is one of the down sides to APRS. For the most part you are not in control of all the factors so hence in remote areas with limited coverage if something goes down you can get hosed.

Hope that all makes sense.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 120478
I'm interested and have been looking at APRS capable radios. Do the 5 watt handhelds have enough power to hit the repeaters on the trail for these purposes or would you guys recommend a more powerful vehicle mounted radio?

Last edited by Dan90FSB; 08-10-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
I'm interested and have been looking at APRS capable radios. Do the 5 watt handhelds have enough power to hit the repeaters on the trail for these purposes or would you guys recommend a more powerful vehicle mounted radio?
I would always recommend a mobile mounted unit, it just gives you the possibilities for more power, better antenna etc etc. But with that said, now we have multiple digis in the area the hand held coverage is excellent. The picture below shows a track from a FT2DR and you can see how well it worked. I am also able to message from inside my cabin on the FT2DR at 5watts and hit the digis with no issue.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I would always recommend a mobile mounted unit, it just gives you the possibilities for more power, better antenna etc etc. But with that said, now we have multiple digis in the area the hand held coverage is excellent. The picture below shows a track from a FT2DR and you can see how well it worked. I am also able to message from inside my cabin on the FT2DR at 5watts and hit the digis with no issue.

Good info, thanks! You have a vehicle mounted unit you recommend? I got my HAM license a few years ago thanks to John but still have some learning to do, my brain is often
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Good info, thanks! You have a vehicle mounted unit you recommend? I got my HAM license a few years ago thanks to John but still have some learning to do, my brain is often
Cant say I have really run any other than the one I have. I have the Yaesu FTM400 and really like it. Very intuitive and the touch screen keypad is awesome.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Also running the FTM-400. Like Tim said, very intuitive and works well. I kept my 8800 in the rig so I can listen to JJ RPT and the RUBI on that while still running APRS and a trail freq in the FTM400.

Recent upgrades and adjustment to the GAP digi have made both of the Rubicon digi's more effective. Texting is working very consistently now. Sent and received a text yesterday with Barb...in Pittsburg.

BTW, I think that's gonna be her track^^^
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 26623
I run a Kenwood TM-D700A. It's a solid unit. Its a discontinued model but I believe you can still purchase its replacement, the TM-D710A.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 117547
I run a FTM-350 in my runner and a FT2DR handheld. The FTM-350 is an older model before the 400 came out so it's not as fancy and dosnt have the fancy color screen, but it is a solid proven APRS capable radio that can still be found used for a decent price.

It's great to know you can get a txt message out to someone back home if you break something or need anything(or just ran out of beer!).
Attached Images

N6FZY
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZ View Post
I run a FTM-350 in my runner and a FT2DR handheld. The FTM-350 is an older model before the 400 came out so it's not as fancy and dosnt have the fancy color screen, but it is a solid proven APRS capable radio that can still be found used for a decent price.

It's great to know you can get a txt message out to someone back home if you break something or need anything(or just ran out of beer!).
For sure, My last text message out was talking with my son at FT Bliss Texas. Before that it was for a gas cap. May have been a request for more beverages also.

Cool Stuff
Old 05-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 117547
Sitting listening to my garage radio this morning it is making me sad every time GAPWX pops up! Wish I could of got up there this weekend! Will make it to the trail soon anyway!
N6FZY

Last edited by FuzzyZ; 05-28-2018 at 09:48 PM.
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 184396
Got my technician license a year ago (thanks to John and Barb/RTF) and am completely new to APRS... Trying to find a way to communicate with non-licensed people in case of emergency, or just to check in.

A quick Google search revealed that sending an sms message from your radio to a phone is no problem, but in order to receive a message on your radio sent from a cell phone, you have to send through a gateway service such as SMSGTE. Is this what you guys are using to send AND receive text messages?

Thanks for all the effort put into this. Really neat stuff.

Kevin
KM6KXO

EDIT: Further research has led me to believe that you may need to be licensed in order to send an SMS message to a ham radio via APRS. So none of my non-licensed friends/family would be able to respond to my messages. Can anybody confirm this?

Last edited by Jeep450r; 05-28-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Jeep450r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep450r View Post
Got my technician license a year ago (thanks to John and Barb/RTF) and am completely new to APRS... Trying to find a way to communicate with non-licensed people in case of emergency, or just to check in.

A quick Google search revealed that sending an sms message from your radio to a phone is no problem, but in order to receive a message on your radio sent from a cell phone, you have to send through a gateway service such as SMSGTE. Is this what you guys are using to send AND receive text messages?

Thanks for all the effort put into this. Really neat stuff.

Kevin
KM6KXO

EDIT: Further research has led me to believe that you may need to be licensed in order to send an SMS message to a ham radio via APRS. So none of my non-licensed friends/family would be able to respond to my messages. Can anybody confirm this?
Grey area for sure BUT technically it would go like this. I text my wife to her phone it goes out RF to an igate which puts it on servers/internet. SMSGTE picks it up and sends it to her phone. Im sending the message and I have a license so all good there.

She then responds from her phone. It goes from phone to SMSGTE server, to internet, picked up by an igate, all good so far. Then it is transmitted RF to me thats were it technically is not legal (Or is it? if you look at the log on APRS the message is addressed to my call sign), once it hits RF. Thats how I understand it anyway.

Most of the folks I message with are licensed HAMs including my kids but my wife is not. Do I message her, yeap I do.

With all that said. Is your radio opened up? Do you have the JJ repeater programmed in your radio? If so, this is illegal also. The decisions are yours I have no opinion on it just giving you the information as I understand it.

Hope this helps.

Edited for a couple of side notes: I have seen all too many times the benefits of HAM radio and I encourage most everyone I hang out with in the great outdoors to get their license. To the point they get sick of hearing it.

Also the Motorola you found could well be one of the folks on this board. They are very fond of those radios and frequent that area.

Last edited by Curly; 05-28-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #40 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Okay to expand on this a little. I reached out to some folks more in the know than me (Horses mouth if you will). Here is the answer and it is in the FCC rule book Part 97.

"If the unlicensed person was transporting directly to RF, it would be an issue. Since the actual transmitter is an iGate operated by a licensed user, it is considered forwarding third party messages, the same as packet with winlink or an old phone patch."

So there you have it and I'm going with that
Old 05-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Okay to expand on this a little. I reached out to some folks more in the know than me (Horses mouth if you will). Here is the answer and it is in the FCC rule book Part 97.

"If the unlicensed person was transporting directly to RF, it would be an issue. Since the actual transmitter is an iGate operated by a licensed user, it is considered forwarding third party messages, the same as packet with winlink or an old phone patch."

So there you have it and I'm going with that
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 184396
Thank you for the research and response Curly, that is the answer I was hoping for!

I own a Yaesu FT-60r handheld and have a Mobilinkd TNC2.2 on its way in the mail. I plan on linking these to my phone and using APRSdroid to send location packets and text messages/emails. Looking forward to giving it a shot in a couple weeks when I'm back out on the trail.

Has anybody successfully tried this method? Sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternatives I've found.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Thank you for the research and response Curly, that is the answer I was hoping for!

I own a Yaesu FT-60r handheld and have a Mobilinkd TNC2.2 on its way in the mail. I plan on linking these to my phone and using APRSdroid to send location packets and text messages/emails. Looking forward to giving it a shot in a couple weeks when I'm back out on the trail.

Has anybody successfully tried this method? Sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternatives I've found.
If you are on facebook head on over to the Rubicon Gazette. I just posted an information file containing a whole bunch of info about all this. Yes what you are trying has been done. I actually use a kindle at the cabin with a Mobilnkd Bluetooth TNC

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rubigazette/
Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 378906
Quote:
If you are on facebook head on over to the Rubicon Gazette. I just posted an information file containing a whole bunch of info about all this. Yes what you are trying has been done. I actually use a kindle at the cabin with a Mobilnkd Bluetooth TNC

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rubigazette/
Thanks for posting the link to the FB group. Just send a join request.

I'm a new ham and have the FTM-400XDR radio. Have been playing around with it using APRS and WinLink. Pretty cool stuff!!

I'll be up at Slick Rock this weekend.

KM6TMW
PetrichorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 184396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrichorJeep View Post
Thanks for posting the link to the FB group. Just send a join request.

I'm a new ham and have the FTM-400XDR radio. Have been playing around with it using APRS and WinLink. Pretty cool stuff!!

I'll be up at Slick Rock this weekend.

KM6TMW
Agreed, Thanks for the ad! Your article has me wanting to build a weather station at the family cabin.

Petrichor, let me know what kind of luck you have along the slick rock trail. I was trying to send packets from up the road from there the other weekend via Mobilinkd and my 5w handheld but was unsuccessful. Got it to work on the rubicon though, although glitchy and inconsistent. Probably user error.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Agreed, Thanks for the ad! Your article has me wanting to build a weather station at the family cabin.

Petrichor, let me know what kind of luck you have along the slick rock trail. I was trying to send packets from up the road from there the other weekend via Mobilinkd and my 5w handheld but was unsuccessful. Got it to work on the rubicon though, although glitchy and inconsistent. Probably user error.
In my experience unless you are sitting right on top of a digipeater you are gonna have a hardish time with 5 watts in remote areas. With that said the Rubicon now has two digi's and trail coverage is very good at 5 watts. I actually run my Hand Held at low power 0.1 watt and it works great.

Lets find someone over on Slick rock that will let us put up a digi
Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 378906
Quote:
I know someone with a cabin at Bear. Would that potentially work? I'll have to research what that requires but sounds like a fun project.

There's another thread on slick rock repeaters.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-n...lick-rock.html
Old 06-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 184396
Quote:
My family has a cabin right at lake alpine. I'd imagine that would provide decent coverage over a good portion of the trail.

If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to get something set up there and give it a shot.

Last edited by Jeep450r; 06-14-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 378906
Quote:
My family has a cabin right at lake alpine. I'd imagine that would provide decent coverage over a good portion of the trail.

If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to get something set up there and give it a shot.
Is that the cabin right between the lake and trail head that was just purchased in the last few years?

Cool house there. Joaquin Jeepers are working on the trail re-route up there this weekend and next.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 184396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrichorJeep View Post
Is that the cabin right between the lake and trail head that was just purchased in the last few years?

Cool house there. Joaquin Jeepers are working on the trail re-route up there this weekend and next.
Nope, I wish! I realize that was misleading. It's not on the lake but a quick walk away on the other side past the lodge.

Lets continue this over on that slick rock thread so we don't clutter up the Rubicon thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in