Pirate 4x4 banner

Little Sluice

104K views 732 replies 150 participants last post by  clb 017 
#1 · (Edited)
For those who don't know, the little sluice is going to be altered this Thursday/Friday. You can thank Jack Sweeney for this.

So, I personally don't care WTF happens to the "BOX" simply because I dont care for crowds....anywhere.

I do however, as an American, care about what happens to the sluice. Why? Because it is the only place for those that enjoy the challenge of hard "Rock Crawling" in Northern California, its only 100' at most and is easily manageable.

With the peer pressure lately, the lawless crowds have all but died down and it has become a respectful place on the trail, not the party spot of years past.

I see no reason to have it blown up, or covered, closed or touched in any way.
Everyone needs a place to enjoy in the PUBLIC forest and with the "Box" being so easily managed and regulated, we should all VOW to make sure it is left alone.

RTF, Step up or Step aside. I am calling all of you out. I challenge you. Make any alterations of the sluice...STOP.

Or...... show the entire country/world, why it should be altered, blown up or filled in....:goofball:

Public land is for ALL of the Public.

See less See more
#354 ·
So since it sounds like the rock is in place what happens if we ( RTT,FOTR ) decides not to help move the rock for free. Make them send in a crew and try to explain why they are spending tax payers money on something out in the middle of no where.

#363 ·
Uh.......So......

Back to solutions.

Is there anyway at all we could have a section of trail "adjusted" to give the higher end vehicle crowd a place to recreate? In a place that would not cause as much resourse damage as the lil sluice and that does not bother people or take away from the OG route?

Is there anyway we could "harden" it then move/stack boulders into lost sluice (one of my suggestions) which is realitivley "out of the way", not really a good camping area if I remember correctly and AFAIK not as regularly traveled? Plus becuase of its location, normal trail traffic would not he effected by people driving into a destination.

Would it just end up being labeled as the same type of problem? Or is the "higher end" crowd just SOL?

#367 ·
What I can see, is no one person can do it all. I know Randy has put a lot of time into the meeting process, so has John. I'm glad that Ken has stepped up and put his 4 cents in too.
I think we ( most users) are all just a bunch of newbies at the whole process. Which letter to write, which meeting go to.
Do we just look to Karen to know which meetings to attend and who to write too? Maybe that would be a smarter for those of us that find it hard to keep up with all that is happening . I can see why some just say forget it. I got into wheeling to enjoy myself and get away. Not drag all this baggage along every time I go out.

Bebe you have some passion that can't be matched. At some point we ( All users) Need to have a planning session for the future of the Rubicon from the users point of view. Polling on the FOTR site and Pirate. Getting a plan together that covers the next 3 years. FOTR will need to step up to last minute challenges, but lets push for trail modifications we would like to see at the ROC meetings. The county has done most of the maintenance.

We need to help the FOTR Trail Boss, as one person can't and should not do it all. So lets get in front the bus instead of under.

#370 ·
Bebe you have some passion that can't be matched. At some point we ( All users) Need to have a planning session for the future of the Rubicon from the users point of view. Polling on the FOTR site and Pirate. Getting a plan together that covers the next 3 years. FOTR will need to step up to last minute challenges, but lets push for trail modifications we would like to see at the ROC meetings. The county has done most of the maintenance.
That's what we need to hear. Getting it together and helping the Trail Boss get out in front.

#562 ·
No...that tree was down. It was there when we removed the big tree....I asked Brian to cut it too....but he forgot and put his stuff away.

#390 ·
This happening is sad …… but sadder still is everyone cant get on the same page.
There’s potentially a ton off horse power on the trail user side but it's waited or not taped into.

More effective tactics are in order.

This post has been deleted
#409 ·
I love how you're in the loop now and I'm not :laughing:
I am not in the loop at all. No one tells me jack. It's on the sign in the picture posted in this thread.

Say what???!!??!?!

Im driving 660 miles on sunday to run the con monday and tuesday. Is the entire trail closed or just the box?
Just the box.

#470 ·
To what end? What would that get us? Do you think suddenly the county would be all like, "oh no! NOT A PARADE! we gotta undo what we have done to the box!"? ... It's not going to make the county re-assess what they have done.
You mean a protest on a federal highway in a different county is unlikely to affect a rocky road in the midst of nowhere? :p
Seriously, thou, if a protest is in the works, let's do it like Marlon did... planfully, with permits, preparation, and pre-planned publicity. Make it count... USFS *still* talks about that one, both in ENF and at Region. El Do Fairgrounds is just around the corner from the County seat, the location couldn't be better.

In the next Round of negotiations for whatever, RTF needs to say "Were done - no more compromises, we're tapped out".
Get yourself nominated and elected and drive that agenda... or just show up at an RTF meeting as a member of the public... or even call an RTF member and ask them to put it into the meeting. Bring Bear... we can make the BBo-and-R section out of the 'public section.' :D

I'm just a long time user that sticks up for what I believe is right. And i do it all right here, with support of many others.
We have this much in common. You longer than me, I don't date quite back as far as the biggest rocks in the sluicebox.

Are you a wheeler, or are you a double agent for the greenies.:flipoff2:
What do you want pictures of... the dusty 4x4 in the shop (you've seen that), or the dirtbike that I'm currently rolling? Hell, let's ride, I need little excuse to cut the day short on Tuesdays and Thursdays and go play...

Randii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.