My Garbage Rant - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 220897
My Garbage Rant

I went in yesterday for a day run by myself. Airport, Little Sluice, Loon. I picked up a fire extinguisher( smashed and ran over), approx. 12 Bud Lite bottles and I assume someone's garbage bag had a hole in it and dropped a trail of garbage almost back to Ellis (before it ran out?). Ok, so a little garbage accidentally gets flung out, it happens, but why doesn't the next guy stop and pick it up? Half of it was smashed in the trail! I can't imagine drivers chucking beer cans out in the brush. I only assume it must be friends/passengers, your responsible for their conduct. I picked up a half garbage bag of other peoples garbage Sunday. My own personal clean up party. Sorry, got pissed this morning and had to vent.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 103588
Thanks for cleaning up others crap. I like most of us do it every time I hit the con or fordyce

I can say there has been times where I pass something not seeing it then stop just a little bit further... look back and say wtf how I did I not see that? But a whole bunch I would not have missed, anyway thanks again!

FRIENDS OF FORDYCE
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16358
Send a message via ICQ to k5chevyblazer Send a message via AIM to k5chevyblazer Send a message via Yahoo to k5chevyblazer
Thanks for grabbing it, not mine. And thanks for the ALL STOP before I killed my front driveshaft and limited the damage to just a carrier bearing.

I drove out just after that in 2wd and didn't see that trash my pictures say about 12:45pm when we left Soup Bowl.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 85813
That sucks. I had the opposite experience. We ran the trail from Loon the week before the cleanup weekend in October and I only found 2 empty beer cans. Didn't see any other garbage on the entire trail (other than a couple of Scouts). I was extremely impressed.
E WHEELER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
That's frustrating, Tim. Thanks for picking it up.

Good rant

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 134189
Thumbs up

I feel your pain. We have run the rubicon every July for eight years now. I pick up so many beer cans that I fill a bag with other people's garbage. The Rubicon is my favorite place on Earth and how people disrespect it puzzles me. Thank god for the friends of the Rubicon and all the work that they do.
Red Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 204026
Angry

I don't understand this. How flippin hard is it to carry a plastic trash bag.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Here is my take on the Trail Trash issue, whether it be Rubicon, Fordyce, Slick Rock, Greenhorn, or Johnson Valley:

NO ONE who comes to this forum can claim ignorance. Facts are we have been resting on OUR Laurels. Education never stops. EVER. We all have to continue to pull together to keep the trail clean, in good shape, and functioning.

I had a friend tonight (MC guy) complain to me about his cohorts. How the trails were looking trashed.

I've always said - "It's like being a Mom (or Dad), and mopping the kitchen floor. You scrub that floor, pay particular attention to the corners, under the cabinets, you pull out your good, HD floor cleaner tech and kick some azz on that dirt. You take a moment to stand back and admire your work, it looks clean and sparkly, 10 seconds later the boys come in from outside, spend 5 minutes getting a snack and heading to the living room to play video rock crawling. You turn around after the very brief whirlwind of activity is over, your kitchen floor is TRASHED".

What do you do? Do you go online and air the very same dirty laundry that everyone else in this world experiences, or do you pick up your mop and DO IT AGAIN?

You calmly - with a smile on your face, grateful to have a kitchen floor to mop, pick up your swiffer wet jet and DO IT AGAIN

My point is - even if you spent the time to educate your torrid teens/pre-teens, you're never going to stop needing to MOP THE FLOOR. It needs to be done daily whether you think so or not.

Regular attention needs to be paid to all our trails. ALL OF THEM.

Like I also said to my MC friend, you don't clean/maintain that trail for only yourself, you do it for the dumb jerks who you didn't get to educate, you do it for the criminals, and you do it for the responsible folks. You just do it because YOU want to ride again.

Please let's take the narcissism out of why we do what we do and JUST DO IT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL

Last edited by Bebe; 12-06-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 203479
The people who I've noticed tend to do "unruly" things on the trail are the people from my experience talking to them are usually the ones who aren't part of a online forum regarding off road vehicles..whether it be PBB, Marlin's Forum, Tacomaworld, etc....that's what I've noticed the past few years..
They don't understand that our trail system, from California to New York, Washington to Main, from South Dakota to Texas, and every other single trail in the United States is under a huge fight from activists whether it be pro-off road or not..

I agree to what Bebe said though..education is huge...
I wish I could partake more in it, but I frankly just don't have the resources like some people do..
Old 12-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
I've seen cans fly out of windows on flat land roads and the occasional road to the trail. It irritates me to the Max.

There's no cleanup crew on our local trails and logging roads.
Caltrans and the cleanup cons dont get to play in the woods.

It severely damages our image with the tree huggers. If we had an image at all to begin with.
In Cali we can't afford any more ammo from the trail closers.

Pick it up whether its yours or not. If you don't want to loose anymore dirt to play on.
There's lazy/slob assholes everywhere...

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in