Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2016, Go to First Post for Current Conditions

31K views 131 replies 54 participants last post by  Curly 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently, updated December 28th, 2016, the trail conditions are:

NOTE: The trail is currently open. Check here or the El Dorado County page for most recent updates.

Loon trailhead: A foot of new snow on Christmas.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon..

Buck Island to Rubicon Springs: Same as Loon.

Tahoe trailhead: Several feet of snow over Miller area, a foot of new snow.

More storms coming over the next weekend.

Boilerplate Winter Advice:

There are very few people on the trail during the off season (October through the melt), always be prepared to extricate yourself! Well set up and maintained rigs, lockers, 37” plus tires, a good winch, charging system, dual batteries, 100’ of extra cable, straps, and hardware are necessities to move in the snow. Always carry food, shelter, and warm clothes. Ham radio or satellite phone are the ONLY ways to communicate out of the Rubicon.

Temperatures can be VERY cold, in the single digits, go prepared!

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it.

Fire restrictions are NOT in place, which means campfires are allowed with a permit, but you still must have a permit from the Forest to have a fire or propane fired device (stove, fire, etc.).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#4 ·
Saturday January 2, 2016. Wentworth Springs Campground is now accessible. I removed a dead tree laying across the road just past Wentworth Springs Cabin. Took about 4 hours from Airport to Wentworth Springs Campground, like John said, the snow is sugary and minimal traction. Last week I was driving through 3 ft powder, this week I'm getting stuck in 12 in. snow.

Attachments

#7 ·
Wentworth Springs Road is only plowed one mile past Loon Lake turnoff. There is a turn around area at the end. I highly recommend turning around and parking a few hundred feet back up the road, there's a lack of consideration and parking knowledge with trailers. Past Wentworth to the trail head there's a lot of traffic. Behind Airport (14N34), it is untraveled, only experienced snow wheeling is highly recommended. Proper snow shovel and extra straps will be needed. You might see me there...

#8 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I was thinking about parking at the turn out to the right at the loon turnoff but def want my trailer out of the way. If there's a turn off up further as you say I'd rather park there. Last year we parked at air Portland cruised up to WW trail head it was easy and no one was there. I have a Toyota truggy on 40" Krawlers all linked. If you see us say hi. I'll keep an eye out for your jeep.

#26 ·
Conditions very bad for riding and I ride like a complete newb but none the less here is a little video showing current conditions of the trail.
Second Dam, Kiosk, gatekeeper and bowl.

#30 ·
I wasn't up, but passing on first hand info:

Traction was better this weekend than in a while, snow is compacting and we are starting to have longer days and some thaw cycles. There are also some bare spots and holes, especially past Ellis...big drifts and big holes!

Furthest track reported in to Soup Bowl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.