How often have you Needed a Spare Tire POLL - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

View Poll Results: Spare Tire on Trails
Still Brings a Spare Tire 23 43.40%
No Spare Tire 19 35.85%
Have needed a Spare tire 19 35.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5342
Location: Mid CA West Bay Area next to NASA Jet dudes! 3hrs to RUBICON!!
How often have you Needed a Spare Tire POLL

Census on Spare Tire:
EDIT: If you are NOT California- Please do Not POLL.
EDIT: If NOT Ca, Please Identify your State Trail. I think Fordyce and Rubicon are less dangerous then the East coast.

How many trail runs have you been VS when you need a spare Tire?

How many of you still Bring a Spare Tire?

What tools to you bring? other than Starter Fluid, match and Plug kit. Air supply.

I have been through the Rubicon and Fordyce about 14 Times and never needed a Spare tire.
Been on numerous other Trails and the only time I needed a Spare was my first time on a trail with 15x7 Aluminum rims and got a small rock stuft in the bead which caused a slow leak.
Been running TSL Super Swamper SX 36's since 1999

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

85 4Runner
92 4runner

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 08-16-2016 at 04:44 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 225201
25 trips to Fordyce and Rubicon so far, and nobody I wheel with carries a spare.

And knock on wood, can't remember the last time anybody had to fix a tire either.

Most of that has to do with only being 45 minutes to home to grab parts and tires and such.

I have onboard air and plug kits and baling wire and that's about it.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 88819
You don't need a spare tire.

Until you do.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I have needed a spare twice. I bring a spare and leave it on the trailer. Worse case, it is a long hike and roll to get it back up to the truck.

but, with heavy steel wheels + beadlocks I've driven pretty far on a shredded tire a time or two

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
I have needed a spare twice. I bring a spare and leave it on the trailer. Worse case, it is a long hike and roll to get it back up to the truck.

but, with heavy steel wheels + beadlocks I've driven pretty far on a shredded tire a time or two
ok 2 spares. Can you emphasize for us?
Rig,
Tire size,
PSI,
Location,
Extreme Level,

85 4Runner
92 4runner

Old 08-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 166485
I leave it at the tow rig..Tire only
Overhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
ok 2 spares. Can you emphasize for us?
Rig,
Tire size,
PSI,
Location,
Extreme Level,
yup, I used to bring 1 tire only spare when by myself, then 2 tire only on trailer, now that I have decent tires, just 1 tire only on the trailer.

Toyota with Toyota axles with 37" MTR military takeoffs, didn't have any issues for a few years with trailworthy fab inspected ones, picked up some cheapo ones from a guy and shredded 2 of them, both times at big dogs in VA. Now have 37" pitbull rocker radials, tire held up great when I bent a rim. that was in Washington at elbe creek

extreme level? I dunno, whatever it takes. bent the rim somewhere almost stuck and jammed up in a mud trench full of rocks and stumps. shredded the tires both times in rock gardens similar to what you find on Fordyce. haven't had issues at 'con where it is more slabs and boulders.

Haven't had to change a tire on the trail yet. PSI is typically 0-10 depending on what time of day and how fast/slow they want to leak typically shoot for 5-8psi

edit to clarify: I have not needed or used a spare tire over several years of wheeling in California. Lakes basin, Hollister Hills, Rubicon, Fordyce etc.

Last edited by Provience; 08-17-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 164501
Broke a bead on an uphill section in the snow. Was much easier to put the spare on and reseat the bead on level ground. I've also poked a hole in the tire on a simple dirt road and had to change the tire.

Thats only the Jeep. I'd have been in deep shit if I hadn't a spare when this happened in the White Mountains. While I carry a plug kit I'm a bit skeptical it would have worked I tossed a tube under the seat after this as I do a lot of remote solo stuff.

I'm sure there are more incidents I don't recall. No way I'd go without a spare.
craig195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty chris View Post
You don't need a spare tire.

Until you do.

That.

I've never lost a tire in Northern California but have cut 25+ tires over the years in places like the Hammers, AZ, UT, and CO.
JV rally post #31.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Never cut a tire before but I've always had good tires. I still have a spare with wheel and bring it with as space permits. Always have some kind of air supply and plugs with me too. For places like Hammers and AZ, I would be foolish to not bring a spare

generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5342
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
Never cut a tire before but I've always had good tires. I still have a spare with wheel and bring it with as space permits. Always have some kind of air supply and plugs with me too. For places like Hammers and AZ, I would be foolish to not bring a spare
Certainly understand bringing a Spare for Hammers and places like it.

Thanks

85 4Runner
92 4runner

Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mr. DJ

Member # 85595
Quote:
Certainly understand bringing a Spare for Hammers and places like it.

Thanks
I've seen KOH racers not running spares, drives me nuts.

I remember back in the late 90's running two spares and still having to patch one of those to get back to camp.

04 Rubicant Ultra4

My precious.... 72 K5 Blazer

web wheeler...
DJ404564X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 102604
Yes carry a spare, but have never used it for myself. I have lost a valve stem, but that was an easy fix. Spare was used once on a friend's rig that lost two tires on one trip. Also carry plugs, which I have used.

What gets me going is when people say - I do not carry a spare because others do. I am all for sharing parts, but carrying a spare comes at a price of visibility, weight and cost. I carry a spare so I have a spare (or my group does).

All that said, amazing how durable tires are. Rarely an issue. If you do not mind walking back to truck, no need for a spare on the rig. Not carrying a spare because you rely on others is not acceptable. Like not carrying spare parts or knowing what a wrench is.
Twice Scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 19005
Always carried a spare until I moved to 39.5's. Used spares twice (one road, one trial) up until that point. Haven't owned a spare in 10 years but always carried a plug kit. That said, I bought one last week. I may never need it but will sure be glad I have it if I do. Hopefully I only use it to hang my trasheroo!
IV WHLN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 684554
Tore a valve stem off on a snow run and didn't have spare seems (dumb). Tore a valve seem off just past the granite bowl and ruined the spare valve stem putting it in (dumber). Bias Rockers on both.

Tore up a rim /tire just past the top of Cadillac hillike and needed the spare. Bias TSL

Two beads between wh4 and wh5. Reseatted one, spare for the other. Bias Rockers.

Taco'd a rim in Gatekeeper, used spare for highway run home. Toyo

All said, *needed" a spare twice, I drive like shit and need more air in my tires.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225516
Funny,I brought this up on the willys forum a couple months ago.I hung a spare off the back of my junk for the last 20 years and never used it,now it stays in the tow rig.
rochead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
Dozens up on dozens of trips to rubicon, snow and other local trails no one i've wheeled with has needed a spare. We've of course had to seat beads. I carry onboard air (2 sources) and a heavy duty truck tire patch kit + normal/truck patch kit. I've driven a couple miles on flat SuperSwamper SX it drives like a wet noodle but going slow it's doable. I've actually blown out beads and rolled beads on my ATV tire (non-beadlock) more often than I've had trouble with my Jeep tires (beadlock) and will bring a spare ATV tire sometimes with me to Rubicon or leave it at the tow rig. It's almost impossible to steer anywhere with a flat front on an ATV in my experience so at the min. I have the tools to swap a rear <-> front so I can steer back to tow rig or back to my house.

Last edited by Todd W; 08-16-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I was just having this same conversation with someone the other day. I've only needed 1 on the trail once, and it was mostly because they were 10 year old bfg Kim's at way too low of pressure.

I still don't carry a spare on my rig, just plugs. I've seen lots of damaged tires on the trail, 99% of the time they can be plugged. I have bead locks, but can still carry stuff to seat beads.

When I did my beadlocks, I used 1/8" npt valve stems, no more blowing beads to change stems.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 08-16-2016 at 10:28 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post

I still don't carry a spare on my rig, just plugs.
good point, i don't carry a spare on the rig anymore, but yeah so have plugs at least and my super awesome seemingly 100% duty cycle never die ~$20 autozone special cig lighter air pump

sure, it takes 40 minutes or so to get 4 37" tires up to 28 psi, but it lives in the truck and weather and hasn't quit yet

Old 08-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I've been using one of $50 red pep boys compressor with alligator clamps for about 10 years now. It's not bad at all once you put a real hose on it.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Been through the Con over 100 times. Lost a valve stem one time in Little Sluice in 1987 in my Flatty.

Nope...don't carry one.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 12:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 5342
Quote:
Originally Posted by L!ghtfoot View Post
Tore a valve stem off on a snow run and didn't have spare seems (dumb). Tore a valve seem off just past the granite bowl and ruined the spare valve stem putting it in (dumber). Bias Rockers on both.

Tore up a rim /tire just past the top of Cadillac hillike and needed the spare. Bias TSL

Two beads between wh4 and wh5. Reseatted one, spare for the other. Bias Rockers.

Taco'd a rim in Gatekeeper, used spare for highway run home. Toyo

All said, *needed" a spare twice, I drive like shit and need more air in my tires.
Thank you for listing the trail/section. very important to know.
Other than the abbreviations/slang, (not sure how many others understand it, but this is Pirate .
This is Great info!

I should change the Poll so it is for Rubicon and Fordyce only.

Very Surprised of the Poll Tie of needing a Spare but now its a mystery how many are from not around here or doing very severe trails or beat on there rig.

85 4Runner
92 4runner

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 08-17-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 117547
Luckily I have only needed the spare once so far. Made it all the way through the rubicon one trip and ran over some debris on the road heading back down to 50. Glad i had the spare cause we were a long way from the trailer at the loon side.
N6FZY
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
I always have a spare but I am only running 33's. The spare is an old 32. I have never needed it in 21+ years.
I do carry valve stems and a plug kit and I have onboard air. I think I have lost 2 valve stems and popped a bead once.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Very Surprised of the Poll Tie of needing a Spare but now its a mystery how many are from not around here or doing very severe trails or beat on there rig.
well, to be fair, if you aren't doing severe trails or beating on your rig and you have reasonably decent tires, you shouldn't really need spare parts ever. kind of like how modern commuter cars don't use spares anymore and just a fix a flat kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in