Conditions in 3rd week of Sept - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 768193
Conditions in 3rd week of Sept

I turn 50 this year and would like to hit the Rubicon Trail to celebrate. Typically speaking, is the 3rd week of Sept decent enough weather to do so? Or should I really aim for earlier?

After that, I'll start searching for a group to join.

2015 JKUR, 2.5" lift, 35" tires, 4.88 gears, etc.

Thanks!
Redfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 62699
Warm during the day and a little chill at night. But it can change fast. Prepare for warm and cold/wet weather. If this is your first time I wouldn't go alone.
get r done is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
One of my favorite times of the year to hit the trail. Warm days and possibly very cold nights. I was there the last weekend of Sept a few years back. Average low 70's during the day but low 20's at night. Go prepared for any kind of weather. We got hit with rain, sleet and snow the first night.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
The annual Rubicon Scramble is on trail 9/21-24. We have Dirty Dozen reserved and ur welcome to join the fun. Some headed in via Loon/WWS but the main group, likely 20+ headed down into RS via Tahoma.

If possible, get a ham radio and tune into the Spider repeater to say hey. Also helps to give a shout from top or bottom of Caddy (or big sluice) to see if there is a train coming the other way. Reliable trail communication is a priceless tool for ur rig.

This run is same w/e every year. Expect chilly nights (we've even had rain/snow, so be prepared) and warm, comfortable days. Skeeters tend to be laid down by then but last two years or so the meat bees are a real pest. We bring a screened room for comfort and buy or make some yellow jacket traps.

Enjoy.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80230
Went last year at that time- gorgeous weather. It did rain and snow on us as well one night. I'll be there again this year around the same time for a mid-week run.

Best advice is about the meat bees, they were ridiculous last year.

Worst part is that fire season is usually in effect then, so be cognizant of that. Camp-propane stoves were good to go though.

"Nah. I'm pretty sure he'd wake us up first."

-Fordraceboy
fordraceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2017, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 80230
9-12-2016
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordraceboy View Post
Worst part is that fire season is usually in effect then, so be cognizant of that. Camp-propane stoves were good to go though.
This!
Froze my butt off the whole weekend and we couldn't have a fire. The restrictions were lifted the next weekend. Make sure you get a fire permit, needed for propane.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 768193
Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
The annual Rubicon Scramble is on trail 9/21-24. We have Dirty Dozen reserved and ur welcome to join the fun. Some headed in via Loon/WWS but the main group, likely 20+ headed down into RS via Tahoma.

If possible, get a ham radio and tune into the Spider repeater to say hey. Also helps to give a shout from top or bottom of Caddy (or big sluice) to see if there is a train coming the other way. Reliable trail communication is a priceless tool for ur rig.

This run is same w/e every year. Expect chilly nights (we've even had rain/snow, so be prepared) and warm, comfortable days. Skeeters tend to be laid down by then but last two years or so the meat bees are a real pest. We bring a screened room for comfort and buy or make some yellow jacket traps.

Enjoy.
Thanks - I'm very curious now...

I did a little searching and didn't find a ton of details. It *seems* as though it's a yearly run for people who already know the trail well and who may pop in/out during the multi-day event. For *me*, I've never done the trail so was hoping to attach to a group where I could tag along and benefit from their experience/spotting/etc. Do you think it's a good fit for me - perhaps with camping 2-3 nights?

Thanks!

Last edited by Redfist; 07-08-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Redfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfist View Post
Thanks - I'm very curious now...

I did a little searching and didn't find a ton of details. It *seems* as though it's a yearly run for people who already know the trail well and who may pop in/out during the multi-day event. For *me*, I've never done the trail so was hoping to attach to a group where I could tag along and benefit from their experience/spotting/etc. Do you think it's a good fit for me - perhaps with camping 2-3 nights?

Thanks!
Pm sent on reno4x4. Ur welcome and lets chat on other forum.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 778561
@renolaw

Hi, I was suppose to do the Rubicon this month, but the group fell apart. I really want to go. I will get a HAM and i am not a leach, so I am happy to contribute. Campsite is not a big deal if there is no room. I just dont want to go alone for my first time. My rig has been tested on some of the hardest trails WA, has to offer. Walker Valley, Manastash ridge trails, Naches and others. it has been a great trail rig. If you guys have room for the Scramble please let me know. If it helps, i support your community every so often by going up to Tahoe and Heavenly. Hows that for brown nosing?

@Redfist: Happy birthday. I turn 50 this weekend.

96 XJ, d30 /d44, 4.88, ARB F/R, Alloy axles 5.5" R.E. long arm, Tom woods shafts, 35's, Bla bla bla
poester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Quote:
Originally Posted by poester View Post
@renolaw

Hi, I was suppose to do the Rubicon this month, but the group fell apart. I really want to go. I will get a HAM and i am not a leach, so I am happy to contribute. Campsite is not a big deal if there is no room. I just dont want to go alone for my first time. My rig has been tested on some of the hardest trails WA, has to offer. Walker Valley, Manastash ridge trails, Naches and others. it has been a great trail rig. If you guys have room for the Scramble please let me know. If it helps, i support your community every so often by going up to Tahoe and Heavenly. Hows that for brown nosing?

@Redfist: Happy birthday. I turn 50 this weekend.

96 XJ, d30 /d44, 4.88, ARB F/R, Alloy axles 5.5" R.E. long arm, Tom woods shafts, 35's, Bla bla bla

absolutely! PM with contact info and we will get dialed in.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

Old 08-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 778561
PM sent: Thank you.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 778561
Not sure if pm is going through. my sent box is at zero. maybe just needs time. let me know
Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Quote:
Originally Posted by poester View Post
Not sure if pm is going through. my sent box is at zero. maybe just needs time. let me know
Received and reply sent

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

Old 08-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 77176
Send a message via Skype™ to sierravalley
All are welcome! More the merrier. Should be a great time.
sierravalley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 62699
Marlin Round up is the weekend of the 15th. Last I heard there is at least 180 rigs going in. Camping at the springs. But spots along the way are always open. Not sure if you are counting this to be the third weekend with the first on a Friday. Always good to go when you know people are going to be there for sure when rollin solo in my opinion.
get r done is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 778561
that sounds fun
Old 09-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 80230
Marlin Round-Up is going in Loon on the 15th- making a through run, or back out to Loon (and what day, Sunday?)

Just wondering- I'm planning on heading in Sunday and am trying to make a plan.

-Fordraceboy
Old 09-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Marlin Round-Up is going in Loon on the 15th- making a through run, or back out to Loon (and what day, Sunday?)

There is no set plan. I would say most go out Tahoe, but some definitely turn around go back Loon.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 18776
Quote:

If you don't want to sit for hours waiting for outbound traffic, head in from Loon.
CA_Snowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Just stay until Monday and cruise right on out. Cadillac can be a shitshow all day if things go wrong.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
HOG JOCKEY

Member # 54114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfist View Post
I turn 50 this year and would like to hit the Rubicon Trail to celebrate. Typically speaking, is the 3rd week of Sept decent enough weather to do so? Or should I really aim for earlier?

After that, I'll start searching for a group to join.

2015 JKUR, 2.5" lift, 35" tires, 4.88 gears, etc.

Thanks!
a small group of us went in from Tahoe and camped at the springs last week......sept 5-7. rained partially first day, other than that was actually quite nice. the second day we headed out to do old sluice, visit our friends memorial plaque just off the top of the old sluice on the slabs. it rained almost all day and pretty much all night. for the most part, even getting soaked and the buggies covered in mud.......we still had a great time on our yearly trip. how bad could it be......rubicon is worth whatever is thrown at you! lucky the 3rd day was not rainy and Cadillac hill was not as wet and muddy as I figured it would be. but as usual.......that is one hill I have a lot of respect for. we are from socal and envy you local wheelers!! but then again.....we do day trips to the hammers being only 90 miles from the house. LOL
Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 80230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Snowtoy View Post
If you don't want to sit for hours waiting for outbound traffic, head in from Loon.
That's my plan- Head in from Loon on Sunday about 10-11ish, and head out Tahoe on Tuesday. Looking to make Spider/Buck Island first day, the springs/bottom of Cadillac 2nd day and then out.

Nice and easy, no hurries or worries.

-Fordraceboy
Old 09-13-2017, 11:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
That should be fine.

And there are NO mosquitoes and NO meat bees this year to speak of.

In truth, I've seen a few mosquitoes early in the year, none lately. No bees though, not a one.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2017, 12:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 80230
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
And there are NO mosquitoes and NO meat bees this year to speak of.

In truth, I've seen a few mosquitoes early in the year, none lately. No bees though, not a one.

Best news I've heard thus far...

Should be a unique trip, considering the tornado warning at Tahoe the afternoon of the 13th..

-Fordraceboy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in