Out Houses - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 787065
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
It is interesting, I'll say that.

Problem is, the driver is the operator at the business end as well. That's challenging too!
Lol
Old 08-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 787065
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post
Finally broke down and joined instead of trolling for 10yrs....
No the RTF board. I've been a member here since 99 but the Canadiens ruined the site and now I can't get into my other account.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Just so I am clear, it would appear from your response John that the current situation dictates that only a RTF board member can drive the MOG. I would ask, who other than yourself has been trained to do so? There are currently 15 board members but you are asking for some to step up and join the board to drive the truck. I know this is with out a doubt a hard position to fill but I'll ask the question all the same. I worry what happens if you are out of commission, honestly.
Dave Thomas is also trained, he's been up once last year and twice this year. He'll be handling another run in September. Rusty is also getting trained this year and wants to do some runs next year.

Quote:
Signage at Trail Heads addressing the concerns with toilets. "If toilets are full please use a wag bag etc etc", "Our funds are used for pumping toilets, please don't use if not needed" Word it how you want but you get the point.
Good idea, we have some other educational signs going in the toilets as well.

Quote:
Stock the toilets with WAG bags. They are given out at the Kiosks, why not put them where they might actually get used. Encourage people to take them home with them.
I worry about this...I fish enough of them out of the toilets (coveredon the outside in liquid poo goulash, and soaked on the inside like a big diaper bomb) and bag them up and haul them out already. Putting them that close I'm afraid they'll ALL end up in the toilets. I'll think about it. Good question for the ROC.

Quote:
Wag Bag depository. Maybe the blue wag bag type depository could be put at the toilets that see the highest use. It must be easier to transport wag bags than wet poop in a truck.
Not really, requires multiple handling (liquid AND solid) and a hauling area on the mog for trash, or perhaps pulling a trailer. Frankly the whole point of wag-bags is to make trail users clean AND self sufficient, not just give you a different way to rely on the system. Can't people even haul their wag bags out in the trash?

Quote:
Education and communication. This is the biggest thing from my perspective. When was the last time RTF had a true, large, get together of folks from an educational point of view? Not a preaching lesson just a true, down home, chit chat about current issues, concerns and problems. Why not let the folks know about the things that are true issues for RTF to handle, request some help preventing them. Let the folks know how important it is. Let the folks know that "Poop Kills". Just the same as a guy not knowing that a stock JK axle won't handle 37" tires, he may not understand the relevance of leaving his shit in the woods. Not everyone has been around as long as some of us. Things that might seem a matter of course for us may not seem as important to others.
We agree that education is the key. RTF Mid Trail Staff contacts trail users on the trail every day about these issues along with safety, trail manners, avoiding spills, and avoiding trail damage. Are they preachy? I hope not. Do they serve you a steak?...no, but I can see how that reaches people.

Quote:
Cantina is right around the corner. Maybe a small seegment about bathroom issues. Maybe a demonstration, make it funny but informational. Make the point as clear as crystal, the bathrooms are a luxury that are to be used sparingly and wisely. Maybe I have more faith in our community than others but I think this would go a long way. "Think twice before you drop that deuce in the crapper". Maybe next years cantina could have a slogan about crappers printed on the raffle tickets "Poop Kills". The possibilities are endless.
Some good ideas here. I am concerned about the "limit the bathroom use" message. I think we WANT people to use the bathrooms, we just want them to do so politely and wisely.

Quote:
Look at that, no bickering, no squabbling just honest to goodness discussion and problem solving. Thanks for everything RTF does and I know you can overcome this shitty problem
Thanks and you're welcome, Tim, I know WE can, as a community.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 45085
Is there anyway to use the haul road that comes into buck island for the poop wagon?

Probably not, but is sure a nice road on the portions I have seen. Not sure how easy it would be to get from the road down to the trail though.
82toycrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 26623
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82toycrawler View Post
Is there anyway to use the haul road that comes into buck island for the poop wagon?

Probably not, but is sure a nice road on the portions I have seen. Not sure how easy it would be to get from the road down to the trail though.
Not likely since portions of that road are now under Loon Lake.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
The El Dorado County parks department has responsibility for the Rubicon, but their funding is literally year to year. This year they chose to spend some money fixing the WWS road that the DOT wouldn't because they have too many other priorities after the harsh winter we had. Why? Because they felt it was important to get the Forest Service access to WWS campground so they can pump the toilet there. Hasn't happened yet, but it hasn't been long. Crossing my fingers on that one.
Based on this paragraph, someone asked me, "So El Dorado County is out of money now that they fixed the WWS road, they won't be doing any other work on Rubicon"?

If I left that impression, I didn't mean to. El Dorado County still has work to do this year and will be doing it. I wrote the paragraph to point out that the toilets are a priority for RTF, and that El Dorado County also prioritizes sanitation. They are doing their part (and more) to help with the poo problem.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in