want to try the Rubicon trail and have some questions - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I know several people that wrote the trail on mountain bikes in the 90s. Itís not like itís never been done before.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jup View Post
So which are the best way I can see those stars in Tahoe in a stock Jeep that I don't want to mess up the body on?
Walk.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Walk.
Exactly. Park at the Kiosk and walk to the bowl. In 20 minutes you'll be viewing the milky way, laying on your back on still warm, flatish granite rock.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
jup

Member #
---

Last edited by jup; 02-19-2018 at 07:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
jup

Member #
---

Last edited by jup; 02-19-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
jup

Member #
---

Old 02-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 143977
Quote:
For the links above this site wouldn't let me post links so I changed the www to vvv and put in spaces and put in dot for the . you have to piece it back together

does anyone have a picture of the gate keeper in 2018? i heard they changed it to make it easier

this video also doesn't show any big obstacles up to a certain point...

youtube dot com/watch?v=KJuH5rlMapI

i have a stock 1997 zj laredo 5.2 4x4 with no lockers that is in nice condition and is a driveway queen so i dont want to mess that up, i do have a little bigger street tires: 235 75 15, but i think my zj can do everything that FJ did in the above video link

in this video in the comments they talk about how the gate keeper has been made easier in the comments...

youtube dot com/watch?v=0lAxSykTojo

as always thanks for the info, the rubicon trail seems like it would be a nice hike too

considering building a rig just for it... i saw how the stock willys from world war 2 do the rubicon trail without lockers even... i think its all about how much you want to bang up your vehicle...
Thinking a stock anything will make it through the Rubicon with little to no damage is just ignorant. Even if it has a chance doesn't mean you have the driving skills to do so. You'll also be hard pressed to find anyone here that's happy about the trail being made easier by snowflakes.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
For what it’s worth, if you are going to hike, there are better places than the Rubicon. So much of Northern California is forest and wilderness there are many spots to get away from the crowds and the lights and commune with nature. I suggest you do more research. Also if you are going to hike you probably don’t want to hear vehicles going through a trail. Peace and tranquility are wonderful thing.

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 02-15-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
jup

Member #
---

Old 02-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 80230
I don't have pics or video of gatekeeper from when I went in Sept. 17, but I saw a stock wrangler with the front driveshaft hanging and the rear bumper ripped off- and he was on the other side of gatekeeper with no idea how to get back out.

You seem hung up on the "stock Willy's from the 40's and 50's without lockers" aspect. The trail changes week to week, year to year- let alone decade to decade.

You realize that your vehicle has a 28.9" tall tire, right? When you air those tires down, you'll likely have about 7" (at best) of clearance under your unlocked differentials. Your break-over angle will suck with the 105" wheelbase, although the front bumper is going to prevent you from worrying about breaking over anything- cause it won't let you up on anything.

You asked for advice, and were given many answers. None of which seemed to be what you want to hear. Not one person has given the impression of it being a 'members only club', and everyone I've met on the trail has been super helpful. Members from this board I had never met, were willing to come drag my ass off the trail when I broke in the Little Sluice.

So take your stock ZJ and 'Send it!'. Just make sure to get video and post it back up here in this thread.

"Nah. I'm pretty sure he'd wake us up first."

-Fordraceboy
fordraceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
I totally agree with the above comment. Everyone here has tried to give you sound advice but you seem to not want to hear it. I even went as far as suggesting you drive out to Loon Lake and walk in, to take a look for yourself.

Whats with the "members Only" comment? For gods sake, I for one have pulled and helped more people than I care to remember through the trail and for that matter, when I first started I was helped in much the same way.

Get out there, take a look and make your own decision. Be respectful, have fun and make good choices snowflake.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
jup

Member #
---

Old 02-16-2018, 12:47 AM   #38 (permalink)
jup

Member #
---

Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 AM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Yes, I've been all around NorCal in more remote paces than the Rubicon trail but I've never seen the milky way like that so I wonder if it's all trick photography (lighting and long exposure) or you can actually see it like show in the videos with the naked eye.

The stock Willys from the 1940's and 1950's made it through the Rubicon Trail without lockers in the video I posted... but you have to be ok with banging them up a lot. Maybe the more prepped vehicle you have the less likely you are to get body or other damage to it.

Does anyone have a picture or video of the gate keeper taken in 2018? I realize that hard core 4x4ers see the trail as a kind of member's only club, but I did realize that a few people have said that the gate keeper and the trail in general has been made easier for us snowflakes.

Drive to the top of the Sonora Pass, get out, lay on the slabs and look all you want. Great place for that and easy to get to.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #40 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Go hike Bassi Falls. Enjoy

& Blaine

Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #41 (permalink)
jup

Member #
---

Last edited by jup; 02-19-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
jup

Member #
---

Last edited by jup; 02-19-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Well that ended quickly...

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
And his other thread he lost it quick. Somebody called him special and that was enough. Newbs are getting more wimpy.

& Blaine

Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Go hike Bassi Falls. Enjoy
Love Bassi, loved it even more when you could drive there
Old 02-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 48401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouty View Post
Love Bassi, loved it even more when you could drive there
Isnt access via a dirt trail and you only have to walk the last 1/2 mile? or has it changed?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Newbs are getting more wimpy.
the term is "snowflake"
samy crawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist View Post
Isnt access via a dirt trail and you only have to walk the last 1/2 mile? or has it changed?
I don't think so. Just reminiscing of a time you could actually wheel right up to the falls. Was a good place for beginners to get their feet wet. Great place to camp as well.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:07 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 80230
Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
Well that ended quickly...

I thought I was being awfully patient. Nearly a month of decent replies to him, and then he had 4 other 'but I saw these stock jeeps in the 40's' comments and I couldn't take anymore...

"Nah. I'm pretty sure he'd wake us up first."

-Fordraceboy
fordraceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #50 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouty View Post
I don't think so. Just reminiscing of a time you could actually wheel right up to the falls. Was a good place for beginners to get their feet wet. Great place to camp as well.
Never camped there, but wheeled there a lot when I first bought my jeep. And before I move to LA in late 1999 It was all closed.

& Blaine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in