Questions that I have not been able to find answers to.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 235646
Questions that I have not been able to find answers to....

Where to begin...………

A little background. Long time CO wheeler. I have organized and lead many large group trips in Moab for many years. My current rig is a Toyota truggy on 39 Red Labels. 14b / D60 chromo, dual cases, lockers, beadlocks. It just climbs anything. I can do Pritchett Canyon in Moab with barely any wheel spin. No winching. (I am the winch point for the JK's at the waterfall at the exit - no fixed winch point.) Full exo. (My daughter laid it into a rock wall in Moab and asked me what to do next. My response was "just drive, it will eventually come back down on the tires, which it did.) Very reliable and well built truck.

Doing the Rubicon has been a goal for many years. Everyone loves the idea, but life always gets in the way. I tried to organize a trip this year, but none of the dates line up for everyone. So, I am toying with the idea of just coming out solo. Now I realize this is not the brightest idea, but it may be the only way I can check the box. I have rescued so many people over the years that I figure I have some good karma saved up. Should something break on my truck that I can't fix on the trail, I would hope someone would help me out.

With that backdrop, my questions...……

1. Can someone in a very capable rig, who normally hauls ass on the trail as a matter of course (my truck is good at absorbing trails) run from Loon Lake to Tahoma in one day? Yeah, I know that breaking it up into 2 days would allow more time for enjoying the area, but I just want to know if its possible to run in one day. Keep in mind I won't be hanging around every obstacle while 20 jeeps come up.

The last time I was camping in the wilderness I came way too close to becoming a midnight snack for a very persistent bear. Bad memories. Have not camped since.

2. Since I am running stickies I will be trailering. Once in Tahoma, what are my options for getting back to my tow rig? Is Uber a possibility, or is that just silly thinking? Or should I just plan on running the trail back to Loon Lake?

3. Any hotel recommendations for both ends? Again, on stickies so not too far from the trail head would be nice. (My truck is street legal.)

4. Is running the trail solo during the week in the month of August a bad idea, or will there be enough traffic such that I can catch a ride out or help if really needed? I plan to bring camping gear, food and water for a few days, just would rather not.

thanks in advance...………...and if you have any questions about CO or Moab wheeling, glad to help out.

Last edited by nucleophile; 06-24-2018 at 07:35 PM.
nucleophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Yes you can run it in a day IF you do not find a trail tampon.

No the bears won't eat you and steal her rig.
Not a lot of contact at buck.(1\2 way c.g.)

Mid week aug???
Could be quiet.
Doubtful...

No idea about hotels.

The cat in tahoe city tows(?$1200? To come into the springs?)

Never an awesome idea to run a new trail outta state alone, many on the trail will help out.

It is the prk so an goober ride could be had(would I get in a strangers car????) Phawk no!

Going against the flow from tahoe back to loon is doable, however we always bitch about you coming at us the wrong way.

It is a check box to do, perhaps hit the staging area first light and find a group willing to have you tag along?

Last edited by clb 017; 06-24-2018 at 08:30 PM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102029
6-7hrs 1 way maybe quicker depends.

If your fast , and have no traffic loon to springs 4hrs , springs to tahoma air up station 2hrs..

If you can hire a person to drive with you to loon , then have them drop off your tralier in tahoma its possible ... Or Just run loon to buck Island or Springs and back to Loon thats possible 10hrs day.... overnight is much better.....enjoy
tazmaniandevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 660762
There always seems to be a guy in an LS built buggy on 40+ screaming through that will do down and back in a day.

We have some acquaintances that take their ultra 4 through and on to Fordyce all in one day.

I'd recommend linking up with people. I've seen groups connect on here. Some Facebook groups for the region I can suggest as well that always organize impromptu runs.

But definitely recommend safety, sign up for the life flight insurance and make sure to bring your ham radio and get acquainted with the repeaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jethro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 841585
More than possible in a day. Middle of the week is a good idea since you would be going against traffic. But it only takes one guy broke in a tight spot that you cant get around that refuses help to eat up a good chunk of the day. But most places you can pass 2 rigs.
From loon lake to pollock pines is about a hr trip.i believe its a best western? hotel on pony express trail i see a lot of rigs at and might be the closest one to the trail. It's still a ways off but i live in pollock pines and might be able to help with a ride back to tohoma if need be.
Purpledecember is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 235646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledecember View Post
More than possible in a day. Middle of the week is a good idea since you would be going against traffic. But it only takes one guy broke in a tight spot that you cant get around that refuses help to eat up a good chunk of the day. But most places you can pass 2 rigs.
From loon lake to pollock pines is about a hr trip.i believe its a best western? hotel on pony express trail i see a lot of rigs at and might be the closest one to the trail. It's still a ways off but i live in pollock pines and might be able to help with a ride back to tohoma if need be.
Thanks for the info. Your "it only take one guy...." story reminds me of someone who rolled on Poison Spider (moab) right where nobody could get around him. We offered to help but he was drunk and belligerent and refused any help. He had the trail blocked for hours.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 235646
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaniandevil View Post
If your fast , and have no traffic loon to springs 4hrs , springs to tahoma air up station 2hrs..

If you can hire a person to drive with you to loon , then have them drop off your tralier in tahoma its possible ... Or Just run loon to buck Island or Springs and back to Loon thats possible 10hrs day.... overnight is much better.....enjoy
I have done 10 hour days in Moab, usually recovering someone's rig. Loon to Springs and back in a day would be ideal for getting to know the trail. Cadillac Hill looks like fun, but if I have to miss something, that would be the one. And it solves the whole issue of getting back to the tow vehicle.

Things to ponder...….
Old 06-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 660762
Friends of the Rubicon has a calendar, you can see what groups have planned trips and likely reach out to them.

Fairly often they plan ahead for trailered rigs with staged rides at the end. At the least they would be doing down and backs.

Mid week is definitely better but there is always rigs running at all hours too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jethro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 149343
Thumbs up Another One

Might think about Fordyce Trail while your out here also. Always lots of rigs in Aug running it. Truckee has lots of motels etc.
Rocky Bar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 18776
Hell of a drive to run the trail in day. Like others have said, I would try to run both, if you like the large events, Cal4Wheel is putting on the Sierra Trek(Fordyce) run the 9th-12th. If planned right, run the Rubicon from Loon to the Springs, camp overnight at the Springs campground, head out to Tahoe Tues. and stay overnight in S. Lake Tahoe, then head to the Trek for the Wednesday run.

Last edited by CA_Snowtoy; 06-25-2018 at 11:24 AM.
CA_Snowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 166485
There are no One Way Street signs on the trail. It is what it is. Uphill gets the pass. We do a loon to observation and back. The Full Monty is a very fun trip. But it will be 2 days of full wheeling. You’ll miss the best part of being at the Con! It’ll change your life

The folks that say it starts at Loon and ends at Tahoe haven’t talked to the other guys

Quote:
37s on 1/2 tons were Obama's America
44s and 1 tons are Trump's America.

Last edited by Overhauler; 06-25-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Overhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 235646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhauler View Post
There are no One Way Street signs on the trail. It is what it is. Uphill gets the pass. We do a loon to observation and back. The Full Monty is a very fun trip. But it will be 2 days of full wheeling. You’ll miss the best part of being at the Con! It’ll change your life

The folks that say it starts at Loon and ends at Tahoe haven’t talked to the other guys
Thanks, but just want to make sure I am reading this right. Are you saying that Loon to Observation and back is a full 2 days of wheeling?

What is the best part of being at the Con?? The camping I assume?? Like I said above, the last time I did some wilderness camping alone I was almost eaten by a bear. You don't know how hard you wished you had brought a gun until you really, really need the damn thing! Now granted, I am sure nobody gets attacked by a bear at the Springs campground, but I was pretty sure I was going to die...……………..bad memories.

Last edited by nucleophile; 06-25-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 102029
stay at Buck island

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleophile View Post
Thanks, but just want to make sure I am reading this right. Are you saying that Loon to Observation and back is a full 2 days of wheeling?

What is the best part of being at the Con?? The camping I assume?? Like I said above, the last time I did some wilderness camping alone I was almost eaten by a bear. You don't know how hard you wished you had brought a gun until you really, really need the damn thing! Now granted, I am sure nobody gets attacked by a bear at the Springs campground, but I was pretty sure I was going to die...……………..bad memories.
When in a hurry for me its not as Fun...you could run from Loon to Springs up cadillac to observation . then come back down to springs ,stay there and drive back to loon following morning... or stay at Buck Island ....then back to loon ... The bears have never been a issue for us in the last 20 yrs just dont sleep with your Food all Good ...during the Week is best , dont try to run on weekend to much traffic ....
tazmaniandevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 89109
Easily doable in a few hours. I wouldn’t recommend coming from CO just to rush through the trail and not enjoy it. If you’ve never been, I would give yourself 3-4 days to see it all and enjoy it.
No animals to worry about(except Saskatch), you’ll have people on the trail probably every day of the week from Memorial Day weekend through end of September.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Abd Motorsports, #4475

Placer County Crawlers - Founder/President 2011-2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rubicon Trail Foundation
Friends of Fordyce
edabd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 121293
Quote:
Originally Posted by edabd View Post
Easily doable in a few hours. I wouldn’t recommend coming from CO just to rush through the trail and not enjoy it. If you’ve never been, I would give yourself 3-4 days to see it all and enjoy it.
No animals to worry about(except Saskatch), you’ll have people on the trail probably every day of the week from Memorial Day weekend through end of September.

∆∆∆ This. Don't bother if it's just a box check to say you did it. I went there 2 years ago with my sons to run it with a friend from Oregon that was meeting us there. Drove my poor S10 2,200 miles one way just to get there and spent 5 days kinda running back and forth on it do to a failed PS hose on his rig and saving a spot for another buddy at Buck Island. We ran it all, came in from Wentworth, back out the Loon entrance for parts, then went to Buck Island, then to Cadillac and back to Buck, then out though Tahoe. We're loading the little truck up again and leaving a month from tomorrow to do it again. It's that enjoyable. Get some some bear spray, a pea shooter and some running shoes for back up and go enjoy it, slowly.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleophile View Post

There are Bears all over the Rubicon. Especially in the Springs. They have trash attacks every year along with Spider Lake and Buck Island. I personally like em, especially the Momma and her two cubs that come to visit me every year at Loon. Have fun, be safe and don't shoot my dam friends

Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I just ran rubicon for the first time myself. You could do loon to springs and back in a day. But it will be a full day. We camped at buck then went springs then back to loon 2nd day. If there’s tampons your fucked.

I’d recommend hooking up with a group. And the trail does get enough traffic that someone was always coming along. But we did use out welder 1 mile in and I notice I lost 2nd gear at rubicon springs. But I made it out.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 235646
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaniandevil View Post
When in a hurry for me its not as Fun...you could run from Loon to Springs up cadillac to observation . then come back down to springs ,stay there and drive back to loon following morning... or stay at Buck Island ....then back to loon ... The bears have never been a issue for us in the last 20 yrs just dont sleep with your Food all Good ...during the Week is best , dont try to run on weekend to much traffic ....
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselS10 View Post
∆∆∆ This. Don't bother if it's just a box check to say you did it. I went there 2 years ago with my sons to run it with a friend from Oregon that was meeting us there. Drove my poor S10 2,200 miles one way just to get there and spent 5 days kinda running back and forth on it do to a failed PS hose on his rig and saving a spot for another buddy at Buck Island. We ran it all, came in from Wentworth, back out the Loon entrance for parts, then went to Buck Island, then to Cadillac and back to Buck, then out though Tahoe. We're loading the little truck up again and leaving a month from tomorrow to do it again. It's that enjoyable. Get some some bear spray, a pea shooter and some running shoes for back up and go enjoy it, slowly.
Thanks for all of the advice and information. You all make some really good points. Just to be clear, my intent is not to rush through the trail to check the box, though I can clearly see how my post implied that. I really have a preference for a nice hot shower and a comfortable bed at the end of a day of wheeling. I have friends that camp on our Moab trip, while most of us rent out townhomes. I guess I have been spoiled.

I could see a trip from Loon to Tahoma in a one day, spend the night and then return to Loon, with or without a camping night at the Springs. I will probably play that by ear. Then perhaps do some exploring from Loon onto the trail but back out the same day. I like that idea.

Part of the reason for this trip is that EVENTUALLY my core group of wheelers will get some dates together and we WILL make it out as a group. And if I scout ahead, and provide logistics and a clear plan, then the trip is all that much easier for people to build into their schedules. So a big part of my trip is to do recon. Where to stay, what to see, what to skip and how exactly the days will unfold. I think I have spoiled THEM as well in that my Moab trips are planned and executed with a certain level of precision. Of course when you have done it dozens of times, it becomes pretty easy. (and we always mix something new into the trip)

I do have one of my core group who is interested in going this season. He is waiting on backordered Ultimate 60s and 40s. Depending on how that goes, he may or may not be available for the trip. And truth be told, he hates camping more than I do!

Someone mentioned a Best Western on the Loon side (thank you). Still looking for any hotel recommendations on the Tahoma side.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 760473
You really don’t want to “haul ass” and soak up bumps. To me the Con is more about the scenery, camping and taking your time. If you are in a rush, you will become frustrated when you get behind a slow moving group. It’s world class camping and very beautiful, but fairly mild rock crawling. Maybe you should check off Johnson Valley off you list, where you can put the hammer down. The motels are cheaper down there too.
TheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 89109
There is no Best Western at loon side. No hotels at all on loon side within a 1.5 hour drive. Tahoe side, closest would probably be either in truckee or south lake.

Abd Motorsports, #4475

Rubicon Trail Foundation
Friends of Fordyce
Old 06-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
There is no Best Western at loon side. No hotels at all on loon side within a 1.5 hour drive. Tahoe side, closest would probably be either in truckee or south lake.
i can confirm that! i broke down on the way to MCR one year 15 miles from the turn off onto ice house road and basically had to get towed back about 30 miles to a small motel i wouldn't suggest to anybody... and thats just to the start of ice house road! which is about an hour long road
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 12:27 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 120478
A few thoughts.

First, what are your dates? I'll be on the trail with some fellow full size rigs August 18-21. We move slow and have a propensity for breaking But we've been on the trail a bunch and have a damn good time

As others have said, if you rush the trail you're kinda missing the point. It's not a hard trail as hard trails go. I have friends that have run it in stock flat fenders with ~ 30" tires, open/open diffs.

With the way you've described your rig I think you could run Loon to Tahoe, and back, easily, in a day. Again though, that may be missing the point.

I think you've done the math but for context, Loon is here

https://goo.gl/maps/EATHZyj4zzt

And the trail ends in Tahoma here

https://goo.gl/maps/767fSMc4As12

If you're hauling ass in a CAR it's a 2 hour drive on pavement between the 2:

https://goo.gl/maps/VJYpogZGcvu

So for you, it sounds like driving back to the start with red label stickies is a non starter.

As others have said, hotels on the Loon side are a long way away. Georgetown or Pollock Pines would likely be your best bet.

Hotels on the Tahoe side are much easier but even then you may need to drive a bit on pavement. South Lake Tahoe is a full on city and will have no shortage of hotels but its ~ 15 miles of windy mountain roads from the trail head. Also worth noting, CHP is well aware of the Rubicon and I wouldn't say targets, but certainly "keeps an eye out for" border line legal rigs on the street. I got a mud flap ticket on 89 in Tahoe years ago.

There's a State park with camping a couple miles from the end of the trail on the Tahoe side.

https://goo.gl/maps/pQV2hKLR5EB2

We may or may not have towed a dead rig there ~ 2 miles on the highway. And by that I mean we did not, that would be dangerous. But they have hot showers! (I've heard).

Last, I'll reiterate, again, that a big part of the beauty of the Rubicon is enjoying the scenery and camping on the trail!

Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 47974
I’ll be there August 15-19 with 1 other rig. But we aren’t on stickies, so we might bore you.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 235646
Thanks everyone for all the info!

Thanks Dan90FSB for the solid information and pics.

So here is where I am at. You all have convinced me that I need to camp at least one night on the trail. I have been talking to my wheeling friends, one of whom grew up in the area and still owns land in Auburn. We are targeting September, and probably later in the month at that as we are both busy with other trips early in the month. We think the trail will be less crowded and easier to find a good place to camp.

I know it can snow in September, as it does here in CO as well. But I don't mind cooler temps and fewer bugs.

Thanks again for all the insight.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 89109
Marlin Roundup mid september, 200+ rigs on the trail. Busy's not necessarily bad though it you have never been. There will be people there to help spot you if needed, and you'll maybe see a few things you wouldn't normally see. Have fun!

Abd Motorsports, #4475

Rubicon Trail Foundation
Friends of Fordyce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in