Calling all Rubicon hams: QSO from the Rubicon on KA6GWY and N6ICW? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 378906
Calling all Rubicon hams: QSO from the Rubicon on KA6GWY and N6ICW?

Hey folks,

I'm a new ham and will be on the Rubicon for the first time since getting my license. If I'm off in the weeds with any of this, feel free to Elmer me.

I plan to be on the trail this weekend July 13th through July 15th.

It would be great to have a short QSO with folks who connect in via different methods. I'll be on the Rubicon, most likely camping near the dam at Buck Island lake the first night and then at Rubicon Springs the next night.

Not sure which repeaters I can hit or from where but I would like to try and hit KA6GWY and N6ICW directly as well as the Spider Lake repeater on RUBI+ so that it is echoed through KA6GWY.

N6ICW is also cool because folks say that they can hit the South Lake Tahoe repeater and that is linked to the Mt. Vaca repeater, which has reportedly been heard all the way out here in the east bay (Livermore / Concord).

Interestingly, both KA6GWY (805ELD) and N6ICW (Mt. Vaca) are also EchoLink so hams can connect in from anywhere in the world using EchoLink on an android.

Anyway, if this isn't a lame idea and folks want to join in, it would be cool to chat with you directly from the Rubicon whether you are also there, on a repeater or connected via EchoLink.

Open to your ideas and feedback.

I'll propose some times on Friday and Saturday if there is interest.

W6PBM

Last edited by PetrichorJeep; 07-07-2018 at 10:18 AM.
PetrichorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Rtf
Aka
Rubicon
Trail
Foundation

Hit the site
Look at the stickies here for freqs and such, gotta be 3 repeaters, along with simplex.

Last edited by clb 017; 07-07-2018 at 03:27 PM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 378906
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
Rtf
Aka
Rubicon
Trail
Foundation

Hit the site
Look at the stickies here for freqs and such, gotta be 3 repeaters, along with simplex.
Hey, thanks, man. Great site for those who do not know about it. I'm familiar with it myself and have the frequencies programmed into my radios.

This is also a great site with info on the repeaters, including a link to monitor the audio (when its up).

Basic information about the 805 High Serra Repeater | Frequencies | PL tones | Offsets | Coverage

As mentioned the 805ELD is on EchoLink as is N6ICW.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 117547
I will be up there the 10-16th. But camping on the loon side.

Another great repeater for the rubicon is W6YDD 146.625- pl 123 out of Georgetown. It also is linked to repeaters out of Grass Valley 146.625- pl151.4 and Mt. Vaca, Vacaville 146.625- pl 100 and a couple more. Great coverage to talk to almost anyone in the foothills and Sacramento valley!

N6FZY
N6FZY

Last edited by FuzzyZ; 07-08-2018 at 10:21 AM.
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 378906
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZ View Post
I will be up there the 10-16th. But camping on the loon side.

Another great repeater for the rubicon is W6YDD 146.625- pl 123 out of Georgetown. It also is linked to repeaters out of Grass Valley 146.625- pl151.4 and Mt. Vaca, Vacaville 146.625- pl 100 and a couple more. Great coverage to talk to almost anyone in the foothills and Sacramento valley!

N6FZY
Probably too late for you to get this message but I'll give you a shout out on W6YDD and N6ICW.

Would be cool to have a quick QSO with any other hams not on the rubicon as well, if you can hit any of the linked repeaters on mt. vaca or via echolink.

I'll be on APRS too starting 7/13-7/15.

W6PMB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in