How's the unpaving going... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166307
How's the unpaving going...

In your opinion?

The year (edit in, the soils engineering,drainage work was done end edit) Came thru and paved the trail, somewhere along the next few during the work I posted a thread'
Have they unpaved the trail

It has been deleted along with 2k other posts by me due to an identity theft fiasco, (safe now) my last trip in sept. 15 ended in a busted timing chain and a 3year absenteeism due to life b.s.
I got back onto the trail twice this month.
How has the trail devolved back to pre d.o.t. Days in your opinnion???

example
Seems caddy got easier, and the trail above observation got rougher...

Last edited by clb 017; 10-30-2018 at 08:09 AM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Saved for later.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Beuller????

Old 10-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 66264
seems the trail from Buck to the top of the hill has got interesting the last couple of years..
Ken 83 CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19510
IMO it seems to be coming back. Also the areas that were worked on have blended well and look relatively natural

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
530-268-9494

tlca# 12281
semi_budget 1ton build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

linking the rear

rockthedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 166485
dOT has nothing to do with this. You think they’re paving for the mall crawlers? Shit nothing could be farther from the truth. Eldorado is doing all they can to keep it open. I bet it’s tough with the idiots that spill fluids and don’t even grab a napkin to wipe up a small spot. Let alone the Valdez’s mess I see yearly. You guys crown the shitters and then complain. They will close the Con down soon because a few think they are entitled. Good thing I’ve got 20 years under my belt. You guys that have done nothing will regret it

I bet if every rig on the trail had to kick in $100 for a pass, things would be different

Quote:
37s on 1/2 tons were Obama's America
44s and 1 tons are Trump's America.

Last edited by Overhauler; 10-29-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Overhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 166307
[QUOTE=Overhauler;44146290]dOT has nothing to do with this. You think they’re paving for the mall crawlers? Shit nothing could be farther from the truth.

Good thing I’ve got 20 years under my belt. You guys that have done nothing will regret it

EdIT
Yikes, sorry I did not mean to scuff up your shoes.
Ok I will edit out dot.
But why is gate keeper, bronco rock (for instance) GONE???
Old 10-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 220897
clb 017's New Vent Thread?

The Gate keeper issue is 10+/- years old. I believe the county said in hind sight it was a bad idea, I personally would like to see a gate keeper at all three staging areas.

And why is both sides of Ellis basically a gravel road? Now that the sedimentation riff raff rock is in place, the original large rocks should be reset in place.

The gearlube issue: The rigs that have a drain plug on the bottom of the diffs need a way to stop them from unscrewing when hitting rocks. Be responsible for your mess.

Paving the trail: If everybody would use wagbags and clean up after themselves and NOT go behind a bush tree, or use the shitter, there would be no need to empty the shitters, and the big poo pumper would not have to be on the trail as much having to make bypasses around the hard spots. Here's the funny thing, the poo truck is the biggest rig on the trail, it has to take bypasses for safety reasons. Now I've noticed almost everybody is taking the easy poo truck lines and the original trail is not being used. Go figure...?

My .02 : Rant over. If you want to do something positive, get involved with FOTR (Friends of the Rubicon) as a volunteer, it will give you a whole new perspective.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 166307
What Tim said

Not really a rant tho....

I honestly do not have an issue with the "work" that was done at all.
The prius crowd hosing the trail valdez style SUX!
Odd that I saw almost no fresh oil on fordyce last weekend, but again a bit less traffic there.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
It's true, I do take the easiest and safest line I can find in the poo truck. I don't think I have created any new lines and I think I am on the trail 100% of the time. That being said, Tim, I think there are a TON of people who widen the trail or go off trail in order to find an easier line. I believe that's way more common than those who go off trail looking for a challenge. And yes, I do get frustrated with entitled users whining about the poo mound. If a user sh*ts all over the seat, that user ought to clean it up. It isn't the County's fault or RTF's fault that a few users are pigs. Do they live that way at home? OMG!

That being said, there are some places that people are off trail and, IMO, wrong headed about their actions...east side of Buck and a few spots above the Indian trail, Ledges in the bowl, etc. I also believe there are some spots where delineation has been intentionally removed (malicious) or accidentally pushed out of the way and people genuinely don't know where they are going.

Cadillac...has NEVER had any DOT work at all. All work on Cadillac has been done by volunteers trying to keep the trail open. For example, the new gabion there this year was funded by RTF and executed by FOTR because the trail was sloughing off and we were worried it would simply fall of the hill and we would have nothing.

GK...Tim is correct, the explosion of Bronco Rock was undertaken by El Dorado County and the Forest. The Forest has not said anything about the consequences, but the County has recognized it was too much. Their actions since then have reflected the attitude that they don't want to use explosives. There are places I think they SHOULD use explosives and they won't. Good example is the SMUD bypass at Buck, where they put in a gabion in lieu of using explosives.

Ellis...if you talk to the County they will tell you they overdid Ellis and learned from it too. Too many drainage structures put in too large. Though honestly, I never remember it as a challenge.

It is also true that the County is NOT paving for the mall crawlers. They have a couple of main objectives with respect to trail work (construction of BMPs). Reduce sedimentation (thus the rock crossings and catch basins), keep people within the trail corridor and keep the trail from widening (thus the work at Soup last year and the delineation efforts). They did put in a fair amount of structures getting their equipment in, but made a good effort at pulling them as they exited. At Nobie's Rock, for example, they pulled the big rock back into the trail as they left.

CLB, to answer your question, I think it is getting "unpaved" by vehicles and mother nature over time.

I also think it's gonna take time and responsibility. If EVERY sanitation, trash, off trail travel, illegal fire, oil spill, alcohol related, or sedimentation issue was solved by the users by pro-active and responsible actions, there would be no need for any of this.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2018, 06:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 166307
John
Thank you for that !

Man the last paragraph would be a thing of beauty to behold.

The trail is still open (win)
The idiot's \whiners still show up (fail)
Status quo!

Last trip in sept. Rocked.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
ROKRAPR

Member # 63382
Send a message via AIM to Diablo169
Who are the "mall crawlers" the 100k JK's on 40's and Dynatracs? They seem to be the more capable rigs on the trail now a days.

"14 Bolt don't give a shit. It takes what it wants."
-Little Sluice Memorial Weekend 2012
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in