Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   Rubicon Trail (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/29-rubicon-trail/)
-   -   Trip report 9/29-9/30 (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/rubicon-trail/2668384-trip-report-9-29-9-30-a.html)

CherokeeTerrorist 09-30-2018 10:05 PM

Trip report 9/29-9/30

Went up sat morning headed in through loon with plans to camp at Buck. Trail was empty, we saw less than 2 dozen rigs all weekend. Weather was cool with a fair amount of wind on Saturday. The trail itself was in pretty good shape, old sluice was dug out pretty good which made it fun.

Now for the fucked up parts. My dad and I picked up over 50 beer cans, an entire windshield left leaned on a tree, fishing line, crawdad trap, misc litter. Every toilet was full to the top and unusable. The campsites and shoreline at buck were littered with white flowers, tampons, feces, shit covered sock. It was fucking gross. We watched numerous people with big campfires. It seems that people just dont care about this special place anymore. Ive been coming for 20 years and ive never seen it this bad. The worst part was my dad hadnt been on tbe trail in 43 years and he was disgusted in what it has become.

Lets get a clean up organized and fix this!

clb 017 10-01-2018 09:00 AM

Not to mention the Exxon Valdez that went thru last month...

nucleophile 10-01-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clb 017 (Post 44101068)
Not to mention the Exxon Valdez that went thru last month...

Hey, that oil trail was useful to us in the granite bowl. When in doubt, just follow the oil trail. How in the hell can you leak that much oil for that long??

Well OP you have us beat. I think we picked up 37 or 38 beer cans or water bottles, one inner fender and a few cardboard beer cartons.

Funny thing was we saw one more beer can after Observation point, but we were too sick of stopping to pick it up. Turns out it was from the lead jeep in our group - he left it on his fender when he got back in. So we picked up 38 and left 1. I knew we should have stopped.

It was our first trip to the Rubicon and I have to say it was the most littered trail I have ever seen. You just don't see that in Utah or CO.

CherokeeTerrorist 10-02-2018 09:18 AM

Lots of views but nobody wanting to help. We will loose this trail if this keeps up.

Curly 10-02-2018 10:01 AM

Pirates of the Rubicon clean up run is coming up in a couple of weeks. I will mention this post to them. This is very sad.

CherokeeTerrorist 10-02-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly (Post 44103042)
Pirates of the Rubicon clean up run is coming up in a couple of weeks. I will mention this post to them. This is very sad.

Awesome, if you know when the cleanup weekend is i can try to make it and get some others.

peesalot 10-02-2018 02:56 PM

This is sad to hear, the beginning of summer was not like this. Similar situation is what led to no more spider lake camping. You do know that with a ham you can report the fires and the rangers/sheriffs will do their job. Thats one thing that always happens, too many people gotta light a fire, turn em in.

Thanks for picking up what you did, little goes a long way.

CherokeeTerrorist 10-02-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peesalot (Post 44103684)
This is sad to hear, the beginning of summer was not like this. Similar situation is what led to no more spider lake camping. You do know that with a ham you can report the fires and the rangers/sheriffs will do their job. Thats one thing that always happens, too many people gotta light a fire, turn em in.

Thanks for picking up what you did, little goes a long way.

I dont have a radio, been looking at one of those bao feng units. Would somone really come all the way out to buck over a campfire call? I asked one group to kindly put out their fire since fire restrictions are in place. They played dumb but had no intention of putting it out. Some people are just careless assholes.

Bebe 10-08-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly (Post 44103042)

And entirely predicted. That's what's even more sad.

peesalot 10-08-2018 07:18 PM

Depends on where they are, they are out there. The walk from Springs to Buck isnt all that. Maybe not instant service but you never know when they are gonna roll around and check it out.

Askin people to put it out is about all you can do, its unfortunate.

YotaAtieToo 10-08-2018 08:25 PM

It's not just the Rubicon, it's happening all over. With built rigs getting easy to come by, kids are getting a hold of them as young as high school.

Ghetto Fab. 10-09-2018 05:10 PM

Camped at Buck this past weekend. Honestly didn't see much trash. I was looking for it too because of this thread. Couple of groups had campfires but not everyone. We used one of those propane camp fire things. It was cold, and then it rained, and then the wind came. It was gorgeous though with the clouds, and better yet, no bugs!

Kevin

Overhauler 10-09-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab. (Post 44116090)
Camped at Buck this past weekend. Honestly didn't see much trash. I was looking for it too because of this thread. Couple of groups had campfires but not everyone. We used one of those propane camp fire things. It was cold, and then it rained, and then the wind came. It was gorgeous though with the clouds, and better yet, no bugs!

Kevin

We were the flatty's across the creek back in the tree's. Our fire was a propane fire too.