Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rubicon Trail (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Rubicon trip fall of 2020 and surrounding trails (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2669370)

trplxj 10-16-2018 08:12 AM

Rubicon trip fall of 2020 and surrounding trails

Even thought it's two years out myself and a few other people are starting to plan a trip out to the Rubicon. We'll be coming from Utah, Arizona, Oklahoma, Texas. There's lots of info about the Rubicon, and this forum is a great source, but there are a few questions that I have.

First, since we are all travelling a long ways we would like to run one or two other trails while we are in the area. Other than Fordyce what other trails are there to run? I would like to run something about as difficult as the Rubicon. Not too interested in running a trail that doesn't even require four wheel drive. All rigs are set up well, front and rear lockers, and winches. The smallest will be a CJ7 on 35's.

Second, I'm still a little confused about where to park the tow rigs. Personally I would like to park somewhere near the end of the trail in Tahoma. And I would rather pay a little to know my rig is secure while I'm on the trail than role the dice and park it at the trail head staging area. Any suggestions? I read through the tow rig thread, but I'm still not sure where to park. Or where any of the mentioned places are.

Third, any suggestions on where to stay the night before we hit the trail and the night we get off the trail?

I'll likely have more questions as time goes on, but I think that's it for now.

Thank you!!

SlowMo 10-16-2018 08:33 AM

Another trail in the area that might be of interest to you is Deer Valley. It runs from Blue Lakes (near Hwy 88) south to connect with Hwy 4. Chewck out the following link for more info.

californiajeeper.com :: Trail Maps

rochmpr 10-16-2018 09:39 AM

Deer Valley is a great trail to run. You can come out and then head to Slick Rock, which is about 20 min down the hill from there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

trplxj 10-16-2018 10:08 AM

Thank you! I'll look into the Deer Valley trail

CherokeeTerrorist 10-16-2018 10:35 AM

I feel the best parking is on the loon lake side at the Chalet, good luck finding parking on the tahoe side other than the staging area. If you park at the chalet you could camp the night before the trail and the night after you get off at one of the many loon campgrounds. Have you picked a month to go? That might dictate whats open or available.

trplxj 10-16-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist (Post 44125388)
I feel the best parking is on the loon lake side at the Chalet, good luck finding parking on the tahoe side other than the staging area. If you park at the chalet you could camp the night before the trail and the night after you get off at one of the many loon campgrounds. Have you picked a month to go? That might dictate whats open or available.

We are planning on going in mid to late September. I read a post here on pirate somewhere that there has been some issues with tow rigs being broke into at the Loon lake staging area.

RANGERROD 10-16-2018 12:14 PM

Park at ice house resort drive to trailhead then drive around back to tow rig. $10 a day this last year. Check the calendar I think marlin crawler roundup and few other events usually in September.

samy crawler 10-16-2018 12:42 PM

barret lake is a fun trail and just up hwy 50 a little bit

CherokeeTerrorist 10-16-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trplxj (Post 44125538)
We are planning on going in mid to late September. I read a post here on pirate somewhere that there has been some issues with tow rigs being broke into at the Loon lake staging area.

September can be a busy month, check the calendar as you get closer so your not jammed up by an event. Ive been parking at loon for 20 years including this year with no issues. Like anywhere dont leave valuables or anything desirable in the tow rig.

trplxj 10-16-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist (Post 44125676)
September can be a busy month, check the calendar as you get closer so your not jammed up by an event. Ive been parking at loon for 20 years including this year with no issues. Like anywhere dont leave valuables or anything desirable in the tow rig.

I've got the calendar bookmarked. We are planning on running during the week. that should help. We'll be watching the calendar pretty close.

trplxj 10-16-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samy crawler (Post 44125628)

Thanks, We'll look into that trail too.

trplxj 10-17-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samy crawler (Post 44125628)

I watched a couple youtube videos of the Barrett lake trail last night. It looks like a fun trail. Thanks for the suggestion. I had to go outside a measure my Jeep to make sure it'll fit through the gate. Looks like it will with a few inches to spare.

dirtyjed 10-17-2018 09:00 AM

Do all your rigs have license plates?
If so I would park at Ice House, wheel and camp to Tahoe, drive around lake to 50 to Barrett lake trail, camp at lake than just take the asphalt road back to Ice House.
Than go to South Lake and hookers and blow.

samy crawler 10-17-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trplxj (Post 44126868)
I watched a couple youtube videos of the Barrett lake trail last night. It looks like a fun trail. Thanks for the suggestion. I had to go outside a measure my Jeep to make sure it'll fit through the gate. Looks like it will with a few inches to spare.

my tons with 42s with 3.5in b.s. fit. you'll be fine. the trail only takes about 4 hours start to finish. it is a dead end trail ending at the lake, and more lakes up the hill if you feel like hiking up there( awesome views). Id plan to wheel in in the morning, party all night, and wheel back out the next day. Its a great little trail!! Bring a floaty!!

trplxj 10-17-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyjed (Post 44127040)
If so I would park at Ice House, wheel and camp to Tahoe, drive around lake to 50 to Barrett lake trail, camp at lake than just take the asphalt road back to Ice House.
Than go to South Lake and hookers and blow.

All the rigs are licensed and street legal.

Hookers and blow huh.... sounds interesting.

trplxj 10-17-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samy crawler (Post 44127080)
my tons with 42s with 3.5in b.s. fit. you'll be fine. the trail only takes about 4 hours start to finish. it is a dead end trail ending at the lake, and more lakes up the hill if you feel like hiking up there( awesome views). Id plan to wheel in in the morning, party all night, and wheel back out the next day. Its a great little trail!! Bring a floaty!!

Good to know. I've got a WJ on one tons and 37's, maybe 40's by time this trip rolls around

samy crawler 10-17-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trplxj (Post 44127108)

Hookers and blow huh.... sounds FUN :smokin:.

ftfy

MSlaug 10-17-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyjed (Post 44127040)

This ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

resqme 11-03-2018 09:15 AM

You could also look at Strawberry or Slickrock Trails.

Lots of good advice here.

Ice House is good and secure...costs a little and is a thirty minute drive from the trailhead. Parking at the Chalet Overflow near the powerhouse at Loon is plentiful, so is mid week parking at the Loon Kiosk at the bottom of the second dam. There hasn't been a vehicle break-in problem for many years at the Kiosk that I know of.

trplxj 11-04-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqme (Post 44154046)
You could also look at Strawberry or Slickrock Trails.

Lots of good advice here.

Ice House is good and secure...costs a little and is a thirty minute drive from the trailhead. Parking at the Chalet Overflow near the powerhouse at Loon is plentiful, so is mid week parking at the Loon Kiosk at the bottom of the second dam. There hasn't been a vehicle break-in problem for many years at the Kiosk that I know of.

Thanks for the info. When I Google strawberry jeep trial I get strawberry lake and strawberry pass. I'm assuming strawberry pass is the one you recommend?

resqme 11-04-2018 06:13 PM

Yes, Strawberry Pass that runs between Highway 50 near Kyburz and Highway 88 near Kirkwood. By Fall of 2020 it will be re-opened. Actually it will be by next summer.

Dan90FSB 11-04-2018 07:48 PM

We recently parked 3 tow rigs at the Fresh Pond Chevron, called ahead, management / owners were cool with it, tons of space, most importantly, fantastic location in this regard. The "problem" with running the trail all the way through with a tow rig and trailer is the the 2 trail heads on pavement are like 2.5 hours apart.

If you map Fresh Pond up Ice House Road to the trail head at Loon its a little over an hour. Same way on the other end, Tahoe down 89 to 50 downhill is an hourish and your back at your trailer with zero backtracking and no wasted driving. The catch is windy mountain roads and steep grades on both ends so rigs need to be reasonable streetable.

FuzzyZ 11-05-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqme (Post 44155742)
Yes, Strawberry Pass that runs between Highway 50 near Kyburz and Highway 88 near Kirkwood. By Fall of 2020 it will be re-opened. Actually it will be by next summer.

Strawberry opened earlier this year.

trplxj 11-05-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan90FSB (Post 44155892)
We recently parked 3 tow rigs at the Fresh Pond Chevron, called ahead, management / owners were cool with it, tons of space, most importantly, fantastic location in this regard. The "problem" with running the trail all the way through with a tow rig and trailer is the the 2 trail heads on pavement are like 2.5 hours apart.

If you map Fresh Pond up Ice House Road to the trail head at Loon its a little over an hour. Same way on the other end, Tahoe down 89 to 50 downhill is an hourish and your back at your trailer with zero backtracking and no wasted driving. The catch is windy mountain roads and steep grades on both ends so rigs need to be reasonable streetable.

Thanks for input. Backtracking a bunch is one thing I would like to avoid. All our rigs are streetable, so that part isn't really a issue. I'll look into the Chevron at Fresh Pond. Thank you again.

trplxj 11-05-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqme (Post 44155742)

That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.