Rubicon trip fall of 2020 and surrounding trails - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Question Rubicon trip fall of 2020 and surrounding trails

Even thought it's two years out myself and a few other people are starting to plan a trip out to the Rubicon. We'll be coming from Utah, Arizona, Oklahoma, Texas. There's lots of info about the Rubicon, and this forum is a great source, but there are a few questions that I have.

First, since we are all travelling a long ways we would like to run one or two other trails while we are in the area. Other than Fordyce what other trails are there to run? I would like to run something about as difficult as the Rubicon. Not too interested in running a trail that doesn't even require four wheel drive. All rigs are set up well, front and rear lockers, and winches. The smallest will be a CJ7 on 35's.

Second, I'm still a little confused about where to park the tow rigs. Personally I would like to park somewhere near the end of the trail in Tahoma. And I would rather pay a little to know my rig is secure while I'm on the trail than role the dice and park it at the trail head staging area. Any suggestions? I read through the tow rig thread, but I'm still not sure where to park. Or where any of the mentioned places are.

Third, any suggestions on where to stay the night before we hit the trail and the night we get off the trail?

I'll likely have more questions as time goes on, but I think that's it for now.

Thank you!!
trplxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 26623
Another trail in the area that might be of interest to you is Deer Valley. It runs from Blue Lakes (near Hwy 88) south to connect with Hwy 4. Chewck out the following link for more info.

californiajeeper.com :: Trail Maps
Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5337
Deer Valley is a great trail to run. You can come out and then head to Slick Rock, which is about 20 min down the hill from there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Thank you! I'll look into the Deer Valley trail

Last edited by trplxj; 10-16-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 48401
I feel the best parking is on the loon lake side at the Chalet, good luck finding parking on the tahoe side other than the staging area. If you park at the chalet you could camp the night before the trail and the night after you get off at one of the many loon campgrounds. Have you picked a month to go? That might dictate whats open or available.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist View Post
I feel the best parking is on the loon lake side at the Chalet, good luck finding parking on the tahoe side other than the staging area. If you park at the chalet you could camp the night before the trail and the night after you get off at one of the many loon campgrounds. Have you picked a month to go? That might dictate whats open or available.

We are planning on going in mid to late September. I read a post here on pirate somewhere that there has been some issues with tow rigs being broke into at the Loon lake staging area.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Park at ice house resort drive to trailhead then drive around back to tow rig. $10 a day this last year. Check the calendar I think marlin crawler roundup and few other events usually in September.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
barret lake is a fun trail and just up hwy 50 a little bit
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 48401
Quote:
Originally Posted by trplxj View Post
We are planning on going in mid to late September. I read a post here on pirate somewhere that there has been some issues with tow rigs being broke into at the Loon lake staging area.
September can be a busy month, check the calendar as you get closer so your not jammed up by an event. Ive been parking at loon for 20 years including this year with no issues. Like anywhere dont leave valuables or anything desirable in the tow rig.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist View Post
September can be a busy month, check the calendar as you get closer so your not jammed up by an event. Ive been parking at loon for 20 years including this year with no issues. Like anywhere dont leave valuables or anything desirable in the tow rig.
I've got the calendar bookmarked. We are planning on running during the week. that should help. We'll be watching the calendar pretty close.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy crawler View Post
Thanks, We'll look into that trail too.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
I watched a couple youtube videos of the Barrett lake trail last night. It looks like a fun trail. Thanks for the suggestion. I had to go outside a measure my Jeep to make sure it'll fit through the gate. Looks like it will with a few inches to spare.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 39436
Do all your rigs have license plates?
If so I would park at Ice House, wheel and camp to Tahoe, drive around lake to 50 to Barrett lake trail, camp at lake than just take the asphalt road back to Ice House.
Than go to South Lake and hookers and blow.

Last edited by dirtyjed; 10-17-2018 at 09:01 AM.
dirtyjed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:
I watched a couple youtube videos of the Barrett lake trail last night. It looks like a fun trail. Thanks for the suggestion. I had to go outside a measure my Jeep to make sure it'll fit through the gate. Looks like it will with a few inches to spare.
my tons with 42s with 3.5in b.s. fit. you'll be fine. the trail only takes about 4 hours start to finish. it is a dead end trail ending at the lake, and more lakes up the hill if you feel like hiking up there( awesome views). Id plan to wheel in in the morning, party all night, and wheel back out the next day. Its a great little trail!! Bring a floaty!!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjed View Post
If so I would park at Ice House, wheel and camp to Tahoe, drive around lake to 50 to Barrett lake trail, camp at lake than just take the asphalt road back to Ice House.
Than go to South Lake and hookers and blow.
All the rigs are licensed and street legal.

Hookers and blow huh.... sounds interesting.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
my tons with 42s with 3.5in b.s. fit. you'll be fine. the trail only takes about 4 hours start to finish. it is a dead end trail ending at the lake, and more lakes up the hill if you feel like hiking up there( awesome views). Id plan to wheel in in the morning, party all night, and wheel back out the next day. Its a great little trail!! Bring a floaty!!
Good to know. I've got a WJ on one tons and 37's, maybe 40's by time this trip rolls around
Old 10-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:

Hookers and blow huh.... sounds FUN .
ftfy
Old 10-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 36895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjed View Post

This ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
MSlaug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
You could also look at Strawberry or Slickrock Trails.

Lots of good advice here.

Ice House is good and secure...costs a little and is a thirty minute drive from the trailhead. Parking at the Chalet Overflow near the powerhouse at Loon is plentiful, so is mid week parking at the Loon Kiosk at the bottom of the second dam. There hasn't been a vehicle break-in problem for many years at the Kiosk that I know of.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
You could also look at Strawberry or Slickrock Trails.

Lots of good advice here.

Ice House is good and secure...costs a little and is a thirty minute drive from the trailhead. Parking at the Chalet Overflow near the powerhouse at Loon is plentiful, so is mid week parking at the Loon Kiosk at the bottom of the second dam. There hasn't been a vehicle break-in problem for many years at the Kiosk that I know of.
Thanks for the info. When I Google strawberry jeep trial I get strawberry lake and strawberry pass. I'm assuming strawberry pass is the one you recommend?
Old 11-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Yes, Strawberry Pass that runs between Highway 50 near Kyburz and Highway 88 near Kirkwood. By Fall of 2020 it will be re-opened. Actually it will be by next summer.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 120478
We recently parked 3 tow rigs at the Fresh Pond Chevron, called ahead, management / owners were cool with it, tons of space, most importantly, fantastic location in this regard. The "problem" with running the trail all the way through with a tow rig and trailer is the the 2 trail heads on pavement are like 2.5 hours apart.

If you map Fresh Pond up Ice House Road to the trail head at Loon its a little over an hour. Same way on the other end, Tahoe down 89 to 50 downhill is an hourish and your back at your trailer with zero backtracking and no wasted driving. The catch is windy mountain roads and steep grades on both ends so rigs need to be reasonable streetable.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 117547
Quote:
Yes, Strawberry Pass that runs between Highway 50 near Kyburz and Highway 88 near Kirkwood. By Fall of 2020 it will be re-opened. Actually it will be by next summer.

Strawberry opened earlier this year.
N6FZY
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
We recently parked 3 tow rigs at the Fresh Pond Chevron, called ahead, management / owners were cool with it, tons of space, most importantly, fantastic location in this regard. The "problem" with running the trail all the way through with a tow rig and trailer is the the 2 trail heads on pavement are like 2.5 hours apart.

If you map Fresh Pond up Ice House Road to the trail head at Loon its a little over an hour. Same way on the other end, Tahoe down 89 to 50 downhill is an hourish and your back at your trailer with zero backtracking and no wasted driving. The catch is windy mountain roads and steep grades on both ends so rigs need to be reasonable streetable.
Thanks for input. Backtracking a bunch is one thing I would like to avoid. All our rigs are streetable, so that part isn't really a issue. I'll look into the Chevron at Fresh Pond. Thank you again.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 72614
Quote:
That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in