Minimum vehicle requirements - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36385
Minimum vehicle requirements

What would be the minimum vehicle requirements in order to have a good time on the Con? My TJ wouldn't be too well suited for the entire family and camping, so am of building something more mild for the family to enjoy a place like this, or Moab. Wondering is something like an XJ/ZJ/4 runner (obviously SAS if needed) locked on 35-37's or so could have a good time on the Con?
Big4x4Rides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Welded diff
Solid winch
Pull points
Straps

& significant amount of ngaf about rockers/corners
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post

This is your best bet.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Locked, 37's and low gearing gets you thru with relative ease
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 841585
Rubicon gets a lot of hype but its a fairly easy trail with bypasses for the harder lines. A rear locker ,33s, and a half skilled driver can get you through without much of a hiccup. However if you want to try the harder lines such as soup bowl lockers,sliders,35s, and gearing helps. But you dont need a rock slayer to run the trail. I see stock jeeps and bigger tired tacomas up there all the time doing just fine. I would just go with what total newb said.
Purpledecember is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
Welded diff
Solid winch
Pull points
Straps

^^^this?or a prius and film crew
Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledecember View Post
Rubicon gets a lot of hype but its a fairly easy trail with bypasses for the harder lines. A rear locker ,33s, and a half skilled driver can get you through without much of a hiccup. However if you want to try the harder lines such as soup bowl lockers,sliders,35s, and gearing helps. But you dont need a rock slayer to run the trail. I see stock jeeps and bigger tired tacomas up there all the time doing just fine. I would just go with what total newb said.

And being totally honest,,, ^^^ this
Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledecember View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
And being totally honest,,, ^^^ this
Agree, 33's and rock sliders will take you through the trail, adding in 1 locker makes it a little less stressful.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36385
Thanks for the input, I have a TJ on tons and 40’s, but it’s not the best thing for 3 of us to load up in for a couple days on the Con. Looking to toss something together something we can use there that is more comfortable for all of us, yet capable enough to have a good time. Thinking an XJ on 35-37’s, or maybe a 4 runner along the same lines. Nothing crazy, but reliable and capable to make the 3000+ mile round trip worth it lol.
Big4x4Rides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Only thing Iíd add to newbs list is skid plate for fuel tank and transmission. Spare driveshafts with anything 33ís and smaller.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 196897
A JKU on 35's with lockers and proper gearing would work. May be too much $$?
thedirtman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 825842
I did the trail last year in my mostly stock CJ5 with open differentials. It was stressful and I dinged the body in a couple places, but otherwise made it out to the tahoe side in 2 days. This year I added a rear detroit, LSD in the front, and a lot more gearing and anticipate the trail will be a cakewalk compared to previously. I think the trail is more fun if you aren’t too overbuilt.
officer_friendly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big4x4Rides View Post
What would be the minimum vehicle requirements in order to have a good time on the Con? My TJ wouldn't be too well suited for the entire family and camping, so am of building something more mild for the family to enjoy a place like this, or Moab. Wondering is something like an XJ/ZJ/4 runner (obviously SAS if needed) locked on 35-37's or so could have a good time on the Con?

If you bring a ZJ or XJ - please reinforce the front steering box area - and bring 4-12 extra 7/16-14 x 4" bolts.

I don't want to have to winch you out of the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Like everyone has said, it's not that hard of a trail if you are just trying to get through. 35s on a rig you're describing would be plenty.

The kicker is that it's a long as trail and is "uphill both ways" if you break in the middle. It's not a big deal to limp out with 3wd or even 2wd, but loose something like steering and its going to be a long time getting out.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFascist View Post
If you bring a ZJ or XJ - please reinforce the front steering box area - and bring 4-12 extra 7/16-14 x 4" bolts.

I don't want to have to winch you out of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Like everyone has said, it's not that hard of a trail if you are just trying to get through. 35s on a rig you're describing would be plenty.

The kicker is that it's a long as trail and is "uphill both ways" if you break in the middle. It's not a big deal to limp out with 3wd or even 2wd, but loose something like steering and its going to be a long time getting out.

Losing steering sucks. Losing steering on an XJ sucks even more if the ďframeĒ is cracked all around the steering box. We had an XJ lose itís steering box bolts at Little Sluice. Didnít know the trail well enough to turn him around and head it out Loon. Stupidly ran him out through Tahoma so heíd be able to stay with the group. It sucked but itís a fun story 5+ years later

mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 53743
IMO - it's really as much of a durability sort of test as it is a capability. If there's a weak link - you'll find it.

So - mostly I'd say focus on having good skid plates for the soft bits. Make sure all the mechanical stuff is in good condition. And bring spares for the parts you think you might break.

Also size matters. It can be tight, so the longer and wider you are - the bigger tires you'll want. I don't think you could get a stock Raptor through without heavy carnage. I'm not sure anyone has tried yet. I haven't done it, but would think a stock wrangler Rubicon would cruise through on 32" tires without too much effort.

I've only been through twice in my '15 4Runner. With 33" tires and about a 1.5" lift it was a rough ride that required probably half a dozen or more short winch pulls. The next year with 34" tires and more like 2.5" lift height - it went pretty easy. For a family - I'd say 34" tires plus a winch and rear locker would be a really good place to start if you're going with an IFS Toyota or similar type wagon with a longer wheel base and a relatively low belly to start with. Just for comfort reasons more than for the sheer ability to do it.
jetboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 165420
We breezed through with an fjc in our group a few years ago, she only had 33s and a rear locker. Don’t recall any body damage, but the armor got used!

Last edited by rapier46; 04-07-2019 at 07:52 PM.
rapier46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 861326
My goal was to build my FSB to be capable of a drive out to the Rubicon from Michigan, complete the trail, and drive home.
My build idea was solidified (pun intended) by all y'alls comments.

SAS with a lock rite (SAS gave me ~4"lift on my F-150)
E-locker out back
Gears
~35's (something AT or Dura Trac ish)
Winch
Sliders
Bumpers
Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big4x4Rides View Post
Don't overthink it.

Wheeled the Con on 33s in a CJ5.
Wheeled the Con on 35s in a CJ5.
Wheeled the Con on 37s in a YJ
Wheeled the Con on 40s in a TJ.

All you need is a little common sense. And either lockers, limited slips, or a winch. Bring a buddy who's been there before, and you'll be fine.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 144714
1 locker and 35's will make the trail fairly easy even in a full size. Just be courteous door the people that want to pass. I have been stuck behind plenty of assholes that get stuck or broke in the middle of the trail and think that they have to fix it right there.
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 80230
I run my 97 XJ with F/R lockers, 4.56's and 35's. The trail is fun and challenging. Motor/tranny/t-case and fuel tank skid. Sliders and good bumpers.

On an XJ, I'd recommend frame reinforcement plates in the front, as well as tying in your bumper to the steering box (Common with most aftermarket bumpers.) Brown dog motor mounts are great (I ripped 2 stock mounts in one trip- pony up and get the full mount kit that uses extra block attachment points). I'd also ditch the stock steering and go with an over the knuckle set-up. That or take a HI-lift jack so you can use the handle to sleeve the drag link when you wrap it underneath the front axle.

"Nah. I'm pretty sure he'd wake us up first."

-Fordraceboy
fordraceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in