Trail pace with 12 rigs? Camping Night 1? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 862532
Trail pace with 12 rigs? Camping Night 1?

Hi guys, running this trail in September midweek. Starting on a Monday. How far can I expect our group of 12 Jeeps to go in about 6 hours of trail time? Starting at Loon at 11:00am. Would like to be setting up camp by 5:00pm.

I just want to plan out a camping spot. We are all intermediate or better wheelers. Hoping for some clarity on what I should realistically expect.

Thank you!!
idrive300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89153
Top of the slabs about 1/4 mile before you drop down Old Sluice. Plenty of flat area. Great spot to have breakfast and start the day.
Green Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102604
Given it is a Monday, trail should be quiet. I would head down the slabs and camp below Buck at the river crossing. Big area for 12 rigs and water to rinse off in. Once at the Old Sluice entrance, only 30 - 45 minutes with a big new group down to Buck. Plus more protected from any weather. Enjoy, great time of the year, and day of week, to run the trail
Twice Scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
Am I reading this wrong....if you start at Loon and are wanting to go on the Rubicon trail you should easily make the Springs.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Am I reading this wrong....if you start at Loon and are wanting to go on the Rubicon trail you should easily make the Springs.
youre forgetting to add a piss break every 15 mins, beer break every 20 mins, and a "whats that new noise from my rig" break every hr
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
Well that is how my Boys roll...

I just want to get to the springs asap, setup camp and raid the ARB.
Best time was 4.5 hours, but this year if I can get out before the crowd I'm shooting for under 4 hours..
Old 06-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 862532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Truck View Post
Top of the slabs about 1/4 mile before you drop down Old Sluice. Plenty of flat area. Great spot to have breakfast and start the day.
Thanks! Can you give me GPS coordinates for this spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice Scrambled View Post
Given it is a Monday, trail should be quiet. I would head down the slabs and camp below Buck at the river crossing. Big area for 12 rigs and water to rinse off in. Once at the Old Sluice entrance, only 30 - 45 minutes with a big new group down to Buck. Plus more protected from any weather. Enjoy, great time of the year, and day of week, to run the trail
Thanks, I hope we can make it that far. I have had people tell me that it takes ALL DAY to get to Buck Island, and that's starting at 7:00am. We are starting at 11:00 am and was told there no way we can get that far in 6 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
This is encouraging. I was told that it's at least an 10-hour trek to get to the Springs from Loon.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
It all depends on your ability, your rigs capabilities and if no one is blocking the trail so you can set YOUR pace.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 140551
Without much traffic and not really even rushing me and 2 others on 35s made it from tahoma staging to wentworth campground in just under 8 hours a few years ago. that was with a few stops to fix my spewing t case sight tube, among other things.

It all depends on the pace of the group. I can buzz from wentworth to little sluice in 30-45 mins without much issue, but ive also wheeled with people that feel the need to stop and chat every 300 ft

Last edited by NorCal_Chris; 06-07-2019 at 01:26 PM.
NorCal_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 80230
6 hours should get you to Buck easily on a Monday in mid-September.

That's the time of year we make our run (1 rig only though), but we head in on Sunday about that time of day. Usually plenty of rigs heading out from the weekend, but we still make top of slabs by Old Sluice in 5 hours no problem.

"Nah. I'm pretty sure he'd wake us up first."

-Fordraceboy
fordraceboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
This is why I don't go to the con any more...

12 fucking Jeeps

"FUCKING GPS COORDINATES"

Don't forget your espresso machine and your tampons!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive300 View Post
Thanks! Can you give me GPS coordinates for this spot?

Thanks, I hope we can make it that far. I have had people tell me that it takes ALL DAY to get to Buck Island, and that's starting at 7:00am. We are starting at 11:00 am and was told there no way we can get that far in 6 hours.

This is encouraging. I was told that it's at least an 10-hour trek to get to the Springs from Loon.
I made it to buck from loon in 2.5 hrs starting at 7am on labor day weekend.
I also made it from top of cadilac back to loon in 6 hours.
Both of these were with plenty of beer breaks
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 862532
Thanks guys for all of your input! It looks like the consensus is that we should be able to make Buck Island in about 6 hours from Loon with 12 rigs. We don't want to feel like we are rushing as this is the first time any of us have run the trail and we'd really like to enjoy the scenery too.

I'll let you know how we do!
Old 06-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Depends on the rigs. Experienced guys on tons and 40s no problem. Our first time we broke rear driveline and yoke. Swapped them and welded driveline together in 8hours to buck. But we split up when we broke. Not all of us stopped.

Bunch of jks that need spotting it could be long day. None of us cared about body damage either smallest tire size was 37.

Next day we went from buck to springs. From springs back to loon in 8.5. With plenty of little problems.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice Scrambled View Post
MB, we have DD reserved again for Scramble. Do it!

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
I've always told people, its 2 hours to Spider lake, 5 hours to Buck at a slow pace.

These times are always different per group, you'll see a lot of people tell you they can make buck in 2-3 hours.

How long are you staying? Are you looking to see all of the trail, or just get to Buck and stay for a few days?
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
It depends on the group. My normal group would easily make the springs. The group I was with this weekend would barely reach the slabs in 6 hours.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 862532
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
I've always told people, its 2 hours to Spider lake, 5 hours to Buck at a slow pace.

These times are always different per group, you'll see a lot of people tell you they can make buck in 2-3 hours.

How long are you staying? Are you looking to see all of the trail, or just get to Buck and stay for a few days?
We are camping 2 nights on the trail. 2nd night we are camping at Rubicon Springs. We are really just wanting to enjoy the trail and not feel rushed. But we are NOT the type of group to pull over every 30 minutes to chew the fat. Planning on getting out only to spot if necessary, and maybe a quick lunch break at 2:00pm or so.

We have a lot of well build rigs in the group but there are 2-3 jeeps that might need some help through the harder stuff. If we could all get to Buck in 6 hours that would be awesome.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Highly rig and experience dependent as has been said. Alone I can make it to Buck in a little over 2 hours. With a bigger group of Toyotas (not Jeeps ) around 4 or 5 since we stop and bullshit more and some of the guys are less setup for moving along at a quicker pace. 6 hours should be doable no problem to get to Buck.

generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 207585
I think the 6 hours to Buck idea is accurate, if not generous, not knowing the group, and barring any issues. Hell, the main body of the Jamboree makes Buck by 3 PM, 12 rigs should be able to, even if they are new to this trail.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 862532
Well they are dropping like flies. Down to 9 rigs now, with at least on other rig on the fence. Feeling much more confident in making it to Buck in 6 hours

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 120076
the dd is reserved swng by and we can go out on sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
MB, we have DD reserved again for Scramble. Do it!

shellez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
1.5hrs from the chalet to Buck island at a cruising pace with the kids asleep in back
Ratz Racing #4821

Big thanks to the vendors that have helped us out!
Goatbuilt, South Bay Driveline, East Coast Gear Supply, Rugged Radios, 150tunes.com, Pro Comp, Raceline Wheels, FOX Shocks
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2019, 09:38 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 862532
Well as is usually the case we have had a few rigs drop out. Now have 7 rigs, and I'm fairly confident we make it to Buck in 6 hours no problem. Thanks for all your input!

Old 09-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 862532
UPDATE!

Ran the trail this week. 7 rigs. We made Buck Island in 8 hours, with a 2-hour stop at Soup Bowl. So had we skipped the Soup Bowl, would have been right at 6 hours. None of us had ever done the Rubicon Trail before. Lots of spotting, but no winching at all.

Epic trail, can't wait to do it again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in