Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   Rubicon Trail (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/29-rubicon-trail/)
-   -   Week of Labor day traffic? (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/rubicon-trail/2693328-week-labor-day-traffic.html)

matzell 12-15-2019 05:40 PM

Week of Labor day traffic?

I am planning a trip out from the East Coast and looking at wheeling the trail starting the day after labor day, Tuesday. What is the typical traffic that week?

Any weeks in August good as far as traffic or is it always busy during the summer. I have searched and looked at the calendar for past years. looks like it varies?

Thanks in advance

samy crawler 12-16-2019 10:29 AM

Just don't plan on going during the 2 jeep events (jeepers jamborees) and you'll be good.

Lil'John 12-16-2019 12:25 PM

There is also the TLCA event: Rubithon. But that is usually in June/July but snow has pushed it back to August like this year.

timsresort 12-16-2019 07:58 PM

The first few weeks in September are stellar, for weather and much less of a crowd. You will have a great time, even if you overlap a weekend. It's nothing like July/August.

matzell 12-16-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil'John (Post 44727284)
There is also the TLCA event: Rubithon. But that is usually in June/July but snow has pushed it back to August like this year.

The Rubithon was our first thought, this will be a Toyota trip. We are worried about crowds and the fact that we can not nail down a date till later in the year due to weather/snowpack. With a trip later in the year we can plan for it get vacation time etc. We have about a 2700 mile haul to get the rigs out and then back so we need to plan for the extra time/drive.

Concerns are how cold it may get and having a fire band. It looks like this happens some times.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lil'John 12-17-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matzell (Post 44728150)
The Rubithon was our first thought, this will be a Toyota trip. We are worried about crowds and the fact that we can not nail down a date till later in the year due to weather/snowpack. With a trip later in the year we can plan for it get vacation time etc. We have about a 2700 mile haul to get the rigs out and then back so we need to plan for the extra time/drive.

I think that this year was the third time they've had to change the date due to snow. When I went in 97 was another. I can't recall the third but they really don't change it at the first hint of snow.

MSlaug 12-27-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matzell (Post 44728150)

Concerns are how cold it may get and having a fire band. It looks like this happens some times.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've gone that week numerous times. During the week after Labor Day you'll see others on the trail, but very few.

By that time of summer campfires are almost always banned. That's ok though as with no fire you'll really be able to see the stars and the Milky Way. It's impressive.

Yes, it will get cold at night but there will be very little chance of rain. Be prepared for nights in the low 40's or even down into the 30's.

I love September in the Sierra's.

matzell 12-29-2019 04:39 PM

Not sure about camping in the cold without a fire...I am sure it will be nice. I will have to look up fire ban regulations concerning cook stoves etc.

Thanks

clb 017 12-29-2019 05:10 PM

August in cal....
Va cold vs PRK cold:lmao:

Now traffic out here is nutz, no telling but not usually to bad.
Midweek on the trail is gunna be lighter than on fri-sun!

Rockcrawlintoy 12-30-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matzell (Post 44744910)
Not sure about camping in the cold without a fire...I am sure it will be nice. I will have to look up fire ban regulations concerning cook stoves etc.

Thanks

the campfire in a can propane deals are great on the trail and legal with fire bans.

matzell 12-30-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawlintoy (Post 44745652)
the campfire in a can propane deals are great on the trail and legal with fire bans.

Care to share a link on those?

Rockcrawlintoy 12-30-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matzell (Post 44746390)
Care to share a link on those?

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-p...hoCMaMQAvD_BwE

clb 017 12-30-2019 06:47 PM

I bet ranger rick will not accept that.^^^
But all you guy's tell us how ok "open flame" is!

clb 017 12-30-2019 06:49 PM

Oh
And
Whatever!:flipoff2:

440-fide Ramcharger 12-31-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clb 017 (Post 44746500)
I bet ranger rick will not accept that.^^^
But all you guy's tell us how ok "open flame" is!

It was fine on the Rubicon last time they happened by while we were using mine.

clb 017 12-31-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 440-fide Ramcharger (Post 44747314)

Who are "they"???
Anyone else???

erictylers1 12-31-2019 01:58 PM

It’s a propane appliance and falls under the same rules as a stove, with a permit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clb 017 (Post 44747528)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 440-fide Ramcharger (Post 44747314)

Who are "they"???
Anyone else???

clb 017 12-31-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erictylers1 (Post 44747560)
It’s a propane appliance and falls under the same rules as a stove, with a permit.

Yadda yadda...:flipoff2:
@440-fide Ramcharger

I'm just interested in that "one guy " with an attitude...
Here's your ticket Sir!

Last time I read the reg., Has been awhile but the appliance in question emits an "open flame" type of heat that's why I question it.
The least amount of ammo we give the greenies the better!

gregj50 12-31-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erictylers1 (Post 44747560)
Itís a propane appliance and falls under the same rules as a stove, with a permit.

This.....
They realize you have to be able to heat water and cook!!!!!
Just donít be a dumbass and burn Cali anymore than it already has!!!!
Common sense is not very , common!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clb 017 12-31-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregj50 (Post 44747604)
This.....
They realize you have to be able to heat water and cook!!!!!
Just don’t be a dumbass and burn Cali anymore than it already has!!!!
Common sense is not very , common!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yadda yadda!
How ya gunna cook on that?
http://www.camco.net/campfire-stove-top-top-58033
Guessing with this.
Oh and stfug
:flipoff2:
Anyone got real info?
Sent a question to the natnl. Forrest to see...

matzell 01-01-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clb 017 (Post 44747716)
Yadda yadda!
How ya gunna cook on that?
Campfire Stove Top
Guessing with this.
Oh and stfug
:flipoff2:
Anyone got real info?
Sent a question to the natnl. Forrest to see...

Please let us know what you find out. My trip is still 6-8 months away but I would like to know before I go. I have already checked out the fire permits, wood gathering permits and the pack it in, pack it out rules.

I have read about bears out there and that they are of little trouble unless you leave food out. Do most put it in bags and tie up over a tree limb? or is that too much. I have camped in bear territory before and not had issues.

Thanks

clb 017 01-01-2020 09:28 AM

I will pop in to report back when I get an answer, I need to go hunt the primer for the trail and see if it's in there, may be the rtf site.

Honestly,,, most just police the site, (some will rope up) best bet ,stash the goods back in rig.
MAKE him earn it.
I had one climb into the toya on wentworth one year, a little encouragement and he walked off.

We have had yoggie walk right thru camp while sleeping and wake a guy.
Also have left 1\2 a tri tip on the table unmolested!
Last run before the mc roundup yoggie was on terrorist mode according to the Sheriff (the night we left the tri tip out) nuthin..
Mostly they wait till ya stop moving around to come poke around.
Come enjoy it, don't be that guy:flipoff2:

440-fide Ramcharger 01-01-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clb 017 (Post 44747528)
Who are "they"???
Anyone else???

Forgot which agency.

But the guys that asked for our fire permit and had no issues with our propane campfire.

matzell 01-01-2020 04:21 PM

I will be in a FJ40 with a soft top or Bikini top, depends on weather. I would rather have food out of the rig so the soft top does not get trashed.

Funny story I went in the woods to do my morning paper work down in Tellico and saw a molested cooler. Turned out it was my neighbors! I snore and am worse after drinking, Yogi usually stays clear, not knowing what may be in the tent! I have had hotel staff comment on it the day after! I just shrug my shoulders! :)

dirtyjed 01-01-2020 05:32 PM

I've never had problems with my propane fire. Had FS and Sherriff's check it out.
Snakes are more of an issue than bears imo. A few people/pets got bite this year.
https://www.campchef.com/back-patio/...fire-ring.html
It's $70 on Amazon.