Rubicon Standard Rig? - Page 12 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #276 (permalink)

Member # 32480
Interesting thread, although I am late coming. I think 33s, locker and sliders should be the MAINTNANCE standard. I did not read all the posts, but in many areas there are plenty optional lines available. It does not mean those cannot still exist? High Sierras trails should not be rock buggy playgrounds in my opinon, but why could the Little Sluice still not be the most difficult part of the trail, with a bi-pass? Just not stupid as it is now. Maybe 35s and twin lockers the standard? ANd what about the Old Sluice? As far as more traffic if its easier? I kind of doubt that some. You will also loose the endless lines of rock buggies coming to party at the Little Sluice, and the Rubicon should never be made a cake walk in general. The Gate Keeper was getting out of line(even though it seemed to look worse then it was last summer) but it should still set a standard and act as a filter.
I know its kind of an extreme idea, but then again this is the most heavily used 4x4 trail I know of.....What about a requirement to be lead by a certified guide? No, not a pay guide. Just someone who has run the trail X times before, been through a certification class of some sort(maybe even online), met in person to obtain his orientation and license, calls ahead to schedule trip and numbers could be limited on high usage times, like holidays. And is responsible for his group and reporting violators. This is one of a number trails I have seen that an experienced trail leader makes a huge difference. Just a thought if it gets that far....
Lloyd_Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #277 (permalink)

Member # 35257
Send a message via MSN to yosemitesamtlc73 Send a message via Yahoo to yosemitesamtlc73
hi all
I have been constantly buildin my rig since i got it 10 years ago I am a full time student almost finished how ever I have been wanting to run the con and sierra trek but ever since i got my 73 fj40 every one i talk to said you stilll need more of a truck to do them so go higher and biger tires. Right now I am finishing my soa conversion and will not ever put in a locker cause I like to drive my truck on the road and have sen too many fj40 and jeeps with lockers end up on their sides around here on dry pavment or atleast things snap. But to me it feels like i may never get to run the trails cause i just aint gana have the money to build a rig that can do them not everyone makes a crap load of cash to sink into toys. and just so you know I am a hydrologist and soil scientest and it aint the number of eople thats gana cause erosin that just cause soil compaction its the huge tires that dig deep and creats large holes for water to sit in and over fill that leads to erosin.not that i dont like to watch rock buggys and things but they have thier place thats in OHV parks not out in the woods tairin it up so that the avarage family can not go out and enjoy the out doors.

Last edited by yosemitesamtlc73; 02-08-2006 at 09:17 PM.
yosemitesamtlc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #278 (permalink)

Member # 35257
Send a message via MSN to yosemitesamtlc73 Send a message via Yahoo to yosemitesamtlc73
what i mean is that I would like to be able to do the trails with my son and some of my buddys with thier rigs and no not go to the dealer get a 4x4 and do the traiils but with a rig that did not cost much more then 1000 to 2000 to build not countin tires new rigs will cost a bit more but say a 79 chevy 3 to 4 inch lift and nice tires and a pulling device

Last edited by yosemitesamtlc73; 02-08-2006 at 09:20 PM.
yosemitesamtlc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #279 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitesamtlc73
I have been constantly buildin my rig since i got it 10 years ago... i may never get to run the trails cause i just aint gana have the money to build a rig that can do them...
I see stockish Rubicons go through the Rubicon every year with minimally experienced drivers and good spotters... and I see experienced drivers 'wheel ancient WWII Jeeps with skinny tires and a power-lock that last locked in the 60s. Sure, there are $50+K buggies with every doo-dad, but there are far cheaper 4x4s, and many more of them, to boot!

If you can't afford to build your rig further, get out and spend your dollars on seat time, driving your rig in increasingly more challenging terrain -- then bring that experience and a good attitude to Rubicon. Bring a good buddy who spots well, and find some experienced trail hands to go with you (pitch in on an FOTR work weekend and you'll be surrounded by experienced folks!)...

Neither the trail nor its users suffer idiots easily -- and it sounds like you are building you experience and your rig up to meet the challenge. As long as you keep a mellow attitude, maintain a reasonable speed, and pull out to let faster traffic pass, there's likely no reason why you can't practice up and make the trip, and run the main trail, choosing a few strategic (but legal) bypasses.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #280 (permalink)

Member # 45202
As for a standard, I also agree with 33"s and a locker. The funniest thing about this tread is everyone one pointing finger's. Everyone has the ability to damage or not damage the trail, no matter what you drive. What does the worst damage in my opinion is the way over built rig's. When you know you ain't gonna break shit you tend to get alot of courage. 90% of these people have no actual driving skill that's why they need a rig like this.
rockbuggy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #281 (permalink)

Member # 23802
or is it the half a$$ built stockers that get stuck and/or roll over
Don’t criticize people that have mechanical ability

04'Cummins on 20's and 37's TST lots of black smoke

Less Flower Power
More Fire Power
72cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #282 (permalink)

Member # 53655
When was the last time you saw a so called "Half @ss built stocker" pull boulders off the wall in lil sluice or otherwise altering the trail because they thought it was too easy?

Hmmm......

Last edited by Eye4Mud; 02-27-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Eye4Mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #283 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
I like to avoid talking about too many standards, rules or guildelines about rigs, as I'm hestitant to have it shoved down my throat by someone (those who don't like us) else who takes things out of context. Sometimes standards become rules. I am catious.
Del

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Co-Founder, Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR)

2014 Inductee, Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame
Co-Founder, Rubicon Trail Foundation (RTF)
No Longer Affiliated in any way with BlueRibbon Coalition/Sharetrails.
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #284 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Good point Del. Those loose guidelines can quickly evolve into rules and regs. BOTH stockers and over-built rigs cause damage to trails. There's no reason to get in a pissing match about which one is worse. Both categories can be very harmful if used carelessly. I think that's the real argument. People should use their rigs responsibly, and realize that the Rubicon isn't a playground to see how hardcore you can be in your buggy, nor is it a place to go if you've never ventured off-road in your new vehicle.

Some degree of personal responsibilty and accountability must be taken in using the trail. Adhering to the Tread Lightly principles is a good start, IMO.
craigellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #285 (permalink)

Member # 45650
It's kinda hard to say what someone should have when several stock rigs make it every year
arcthedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #286 (permalink)

Member # 32566
Folks:

I have never been to the Con however, my wife and I are planning to do the Jeep Jamboree Rubicon Trail August8-11, 2013. while I have two rigs that I am sure would be more than capable of making it the 22 miles from Georgetown, CA to South lake Tahoe, I will not drag either rig 5500 miles round trip behind the oil burner.

My plan is to purchase a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4:10 Gears), add a Warn Powerplant and winch bumper, rear swing out tire carrier bumper and Hi-Lift jack, toss in camping gear, a few tools, cooler, clothes, add the wife and drive to Snowmass, CO attend the RoofTop of the Rockies Jamboree August 1-3 then travel 922 miles to Georgetown, Ca for the Rubicon Jamboree.

Will this vehicle be capable of traveling the Rubicon Trail without a lift and larger tires than the factory 255/75/17 BFG's that come stock on the unit? What can I expect? I consider your council as valuable advice from experience.

Flint Holbrook
land Use Director SFWDA
83 CJ 7 258, 4:56's, Lockers, Klune V, cage, 8274, OBA and so on....
90 YJ on tons 3.4 v6 4 link rear, 38 swampers, cage, hyd assist, xdi9000 and so on....
YellowjeepCj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #287 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Kinda hard question to answer. Can the vehicle you mention make the trip? Simple answer would be yes, especially given the help you will receive while attending the Jamboree. With that said, what are you willing to accept as damage? I see no mention of lockers or tcase gears so I am assuming no rubicon model?

In my opinion an experienced driver could make the trip in the vehicle you mention but I would expect a fair amount of rock rolling, maybe winching and some body damage. I have a 2011 four door JK Rubicon and took it in the Tahoe side on into the springs. Was it doable? Yeap, the vehicle actually really impressed me but I did take body damage and the under side did not fair well against the rocks. These vehicles work very, very well but are very low to the ground which can be an issue.

There is much talk recently about the changes in the trail and references to paving but I will venture to say that in that vehicle you will feel the trail is far from paved upon your arrival in Tahoe

Whatever you decide have fun and enjoy, it will be a great experience
Tim.

Just for reference. Four door JK on Cadillac Hill.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #288 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Kinda hard question to answer. Can the vehicle you mention make the trip? Simple answer would be yes, especially given the help you will receive while attending the Jamboree. With that said, what are you willing to accept as damage? I see no mention of lockers or tcase gears so I am assuming no rubicon model?

In my opinion an experienced driver could make the trip in the vehicle you mention but I would expect a fair amount of rock rolling, maybe winching and some body damage. I have a 2011 four door JK Rubicon and took it in the Tahoe side on into the springs. Was it doable? Yeap, the vehicle actually really impressed me but I did take body damage and the under side did not fair well against the rocks. These vehicles work very, very well but are very low to the ground which can be an issue.

There is much talk recently about the changes in the trail and references to paving but I will venture to say that in that vehicle you will feel the trail is far from paved upon your arrival in Tahoe

Whatever you decide have fun and enjoy, it will be a great experience
Tim.

Just for reference. Four door JK on Cadillac Hill.
He specifically said "rubicon" actually. More than fine during jamboree and fine any other weekend
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #289 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 161770
yes. rocker protection would be a good idea for a rig that long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #290 (permalink)

Member # 32566
Thanks. While I would not set out to have body damage and I would do all I could to avoid it. With that said, I also understand wheeling and sometimes it happens. I will take into consideration adding a lift and larger than factory tires as possible insurance against body damage. As you know it does not take a lot of body damage on the newer vehicle to pay for a lift and tires.

I think Curly misread my post about getting the 2dr. Rubicon with the 4:10 gear option.

I will be a great experience and hopefully a wonderful time.
90 YJ on tons 3.4 v6 4 link rear, 38 swampers, cage, hyd assist, xdi9000 and so on....
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #291 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
He specifically said "rubicon" actually. More than fine during jamboree and fine any other weekend
Whoops my bad. Still would think most of it applies. Take pics.
Have fun.
Tim.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #292 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
I work as trail guide or "rockroller" for jeeper's jamboree. This looks like sound advice you're getting. We take few "new stock" rigs through every year, and they typically take minor body damage and scrape about every rock on the trail.

That being said you have a distinct advantage: It's a Rubicon model, so that means it actually has quite a bit larger tires and better clearance than the standard JK. If you haven't already decided to do so, I would recommend getting the "hill descent" option if you order the automatic...it makes the rig MUCH better to drive off road.

Also, I would check your dates. In your post it looks like you are planning to attend the event in the Rockies on August 1-3, and then come to the Jamboree. Jeeper's Jamboree dates for 2013 are July 25-28 for the big (4 day)trip and August 2-4 for the little (3 day) trip.

This sounds like an awesome road trip, have fun!

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #293 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
If you haven't already decided to do so, I would recommend getting the "hill descent" option if you order the automatic...it makes the rig MUCH better to drive off road.
Agreed 100%! My wife's favorite "Button" in the car
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #294 (permalink)

Member # 32566
I chatted with Fred (owner of Clemson 4WD) about a few modifications prior to the trip. Fred has wheeled the Con several times. He agreed that a Powerplant winch and bumper replacement up front and a rear tire carrier bumper with hi- lift were necessary mods. He was pretty sure I could make it with the stock suspension and the factory tires on the rubicon however, as cheap insurance he suggested a 2.5 inch lift w/variable rate springs and gas shocks along with a set of 35 inch replacement tires. To be sure to minimize scrapes and dings underneath.

As far as the dates go I am going by the dates published on JJUSA.com. At least that is where I have sent my registration forms etc. to for the trip.

Thanks for the advice and counsel.

Flint

Hill Descent control is included in my option list.

Last edited by YellowjeepCj; 01-17-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #295 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Sounds like good advice...add the small lift and 35's and that is a great Rubicon rig.

FYI, there are two "jamboree" companies out there. The JJUSA trips are not the "traditional" Jeepers Jamboree, but do put on a fine trip, pretty high end with nice amenities! The traditional (60 years last year!) Jamboree is put on by Jeepers Jamboree incorporated and typically are larger trips. Just want to make sure you're going on the trip that you think you are.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #296 (permalink)

Member # 32566
Ok, seams to be some confusion on which trip we are planning to attend. the back story is that we attended the Gateway to the Cumberlands Williamsburg, Ky Jeep jamboree October 18-21, 2012 and my wife took this photo and she ended up winning the photo of the year contest sponsored by Jeep Jamboree USA, Mark Smith's company. Hence, she won two passes to a Jamboree of her choice.

She had given us two passes for the Land Between the Lakes Jamboree scheduled for May 16th, 2013. She did not know she had won the passes when she signed up for the LBL trip. I told her she won the passes and she should decide where she wanted to go. She said she wanted to go west.

This is the group we are going with:

Jeep® Jamborees are off-road adventure weekends that bring together the outdoors, down-to-earth people, and their Jeep 4x4s. These off-road treks have a long tradition dating back to 1953 when 4×4 pioneer Mark A. Smith organized the firstever Jeep Jamboree and voyaged across the Sierra Nevada Mountains by way of the old Rubicon Trail. In 1954, Willys Motors — then manufacturer of Jeep vehicles — became involved with the adventure, and Jeep Jamborees have been an off-road tradition ever since.

Off-Road Hall of Fame and the Explorers Club member, Mark A. Smith also led the 1978-79 Expedicion de las Americas — a 20,000-mile odyssey from the bottom of South America to the top of North America, crossing the infamous Darien Gap — and headed the 1987 Camel Trophy expedition in Madagascar. Since founding Jeep Jamboree USA in 1982, Mark has become a Jeep brand consultant and has conducted intensive training for the U.S. Army Special Forces and law-enforcement agencies. The Smiths’ Jeep Jamboree USA conducts over 30 family oriented Jeep 4×4 trips nationwide and is truly a family business. Daughter Jill, President and CEO, brings camaraderie and excitement to thousands of Jeep 4×4 owners annually, while son-in-law Pearse Umlauf, Vice President and General Manager, is focused on expanding Jeep Jamboree USA, which is the world’s largest Jeep adventure company.

Last edited by YellowjeepCj; 01-17-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #297 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Yup, sounds like you know exactly what you're doing...that's JJUSA, I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to

Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #298 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
I have worked as a trail guide for the Rubicon trips and for MASOR doing the Jeep corporate trips. Curly's description of what to expect is spot on. You can and have to go in expecting to get body damage. that said, the crew that runs as guides on the trip have tons of experience getting these rigs through the trail with little to no damage and drivers that may not even speak english!!

I have not missed a trip since 2004, see you there!!

Scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013
ReElected RTF Director Dec 2017

cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in