Cool Stuff on or near the Rubicon Trail - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by elarsen View Post
Anyone have pics of the cable rigging over the swimming hole? If you are in the Springs & cross the river & hike over a couple ridges there is a cool swimming hole. I would assume it was for mining. When I see it my mind wanders thinking about the hardy folks that installed it and what their lifestyle was like.
Is this place you speak of on the Rubicon River? I don't recall it and I've crawled over most of the rocks up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzila View Post
It was for the utility Company that managed the area before SMUD. I have a pic somewhere........................
Before SMUD, Loon Lake was owned by the Georgetown Water Company, The Loon Lake Water & Power Company and the California Water Company in that order. Pretty much all of their stuff came off Gerle Creek. That was back in the olden dayz when us GDL's drank ditch water.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #102 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrusher View Post
Is this place you speak of on the Rubicon River? I don't recall it and I've crawled over most of the rocks up there.

Before SMUD, Loon Lake was owned by the Georgetown Water Company, The Loon Lake Water & Power Company and the California Water Company in that order. Pretty much all of their stuff came off Gerle Creek. That was back in the olden dayz when us GDL's drank ditch water.

right here.......
Attached Images

Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013
ReElected RTF Director Dec 2017

cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 18320
That's it.

How & when did the power company use it?
elarsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 47990
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
Depending on the water level, you can see the tunnel that connects to Buck,
Randii
A bit off topic - is this tunnel large and smooth?!!! I always wondered if there is a full pipe to be skateboarded up there...I heard of some people skating that system, but thought they were closer to Sacramento.
Guess I'll bring my skateboard in July and go find out!

If anyone has seen access like this, please let me know!
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 347
It definitely isn't skateable -- the bottom is almost always under water, since Buck outflows to Loon, and it is hard-rock tunnel with no finish. Nothing like skating the Glory Hole outlet of Berryessa. A canoe works better than a board.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #106 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
It definitely isn't skateable -- the bottom is almost always under water, since Buck outflows to Loon, and it is hard-rock tunnel with no finish. Nothing like skating the Glory Hole outlet of Berryessa. A canoe works better than a board.
Randy!!! You just eliminated a potential scene from Jacka$$ the Movie Part 3. Thanks alot!
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 47990
Talking

Quote:

Randii
Thanks for the answer Randii - appreciated.
Yep, Glory Hole is the best I've skated so far....I know that Salba and some of the boys skated one of the systems somewhere up here - still trying to figure out which one it was.

OH - and F jackass - Bam's a slovenly piece of poop!!!!

Last edited by Bundy; 06-27-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 19005
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I just found it for the first time yesturday.
McKinstry Lake:

Name:  100_0577b.JPG
Views: 1704
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  100_0578b.JPG
Views: 1707
Size:  62.7 KB
IV WHLN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 63600
When Wentworth Springs resort was operating we used to hike to McKinstry and spend the day. The fishing there used to be great. We would always come back with dinner and some for breakfast and to share. When they started logging up there the fish all but disapeared. I rember being up there in my dads Jeep arround 1961 or 62 , we came up from Ellis Creek, it was the 4th of july and it hailed so hard that tree branches were broken and the jeep hood was dented. The hail only lasted for about 5 minutes but it was sure something to experience.
From McKinstry you can go to the ridge and look down on to Hell Hole about where the Rubicon comes in and the hike back to Wentworth Springs public camp ground you can find some old Indian sites where they may have made arrow heads or something , lots of obsidian chips and some broken arrow heads.

Last edited by rlwjaw; 07-06-2008 at 07:25 PM.
rlwjaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 993
Awesome picture. Looks to be 50's early 60's. Am I right. I love the board falling down over the 2nd story window, I bet there was a lot of wood burnt to keep that place warm. It also reminds us that these places where accessable by "real" passanger cars back in the day. Not no fufu plastic Rav4, but a 4000 pound Detroit tank.

Any other cool photos like this one?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 63600
The photo is from the Wentworth Springs web site. Not sure of the year. My first time to Wentworth Springs ,1951 , I was 5 , my family amd I stayed in that front room with the plank missing. They sold gas there , candy bars and a few canned goods. We were driving in a new 1951 Oldsmobile.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
glacial hole...
I don't think those are caused by glaciers. They are VERY common in the granite along the South Yuba River in Nevada County. They are caused by the water rushing by and swirling the rocks and sand inside and the hole grows (erosion). They vary from tiny, to big enough to fit a suburban inside (nice swimming holes). There is a set near the town of Washington in a tributary that cascade 3 or 4 suburban-sized holes with 'water slides' between them, 10-15' between each level. The top 2 or 3 aren't real deep, but the last one I've yet to find the bottom of. I'd guess 15-20' deep, probably 15' diameter. There is also a small one near hwy49 that I call the 'washing machine.' Water swirls in it year round and if you get in the fetal position (and protect your head), it will "tumble" you over and over until you stick your feet out to stop. There are hundreds (thousands?) of them of various sizes out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
Maybe cool, maybe not.

We hiked up to the top of the hill (West side) overlooking Buck. While hiking over the slabs we saw a huge over grown squirrel standing on its back legs and looking at us from 20 ft away. When I say overgrown I swear this thing was 20lbs. He was just chilllin but watching us closely for his safety. A little later on the hike my friend saw another huge squirrel that looked just like the first.

After many camp fire stories about the squirrels I got back to the PC this morning to find that they were actually Yellow-Bellied Marmots. Very cool, one of them lived about 100 yards from our camp. You could tell he lived there by all of the waste around his/her house. After all the years of I have been on the slabs in that area I had never seen one. They seem to like to live in the cracks in the granite.

Here is a pic, not my pic but one I got off of the net. No joke the Marmot I saw was at least 24".

There are a couple of marmots living next to the lily pond behind/below little sluice (the other direction from 1000 dollar hill, kind of near winter camp). I didn't see them last trip, but like you say, you can see their evidence- digging, droppings, etc. I've got some pics of them at home from last year.

ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 63600
There are several of these "water holes" at the top of Bassi Falls.
The fishing isnt too bad up there also.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #114 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
i love the old pix of the WWS area-- help me here: we'll be driving in this thrusday headed for ellis then into RS friday. i know ofthe A frame cabin on left, but perhaps u can help me locate the site for the old hotel? left or right? before or after the A-frame? Etc?

tnx

mb

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 63600
Hotel was on the left, before the A frame, before the mineral spring, accross the road from the bench mark in the granite. There is a small spring fed creek just as you enter the resort area , the hotel was a few hundred feet past the creek on the left.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #116 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 30188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
There are a couple of marmots living next to the lily pond behind/below little sluice (the other direction from 1000 dollar hill, kind of near winter camp). I didn't see them last trip, but like you say, you can see their evidence- digging, droppings, etc. I've got some pics of them at home from last year.

We saw one hanging by the Big Tree at LS couple a weeks ago on a Sunday. Thanks to the board I knew what it was!
Rockodile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 59
Attached Images

ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 97463
I needed to see these again! any one have any to add?
g dunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 57128
You guys would make great tour guides. Let me know if you ever decide to do a hike(or wheel-hike expedition), I'd love to tag along and just listen and learn about the history and everything else.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 02:37 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 347
It took me a while to dig this up... if you ever want to run the WHOLE SMUD haul road, you'll need to pack a lunch. I've done part of it, and plan to do more of it this summer...
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrusher View Post
Here's a medium sized map that shows one of the old SMUD access roads (North is to the right). Originally, you could wheel into Rockbound and Rubicon Res. There was also another road punched in from Van Vleck's airstrip in the upper left corner of the map. This road was an evacuation route in case someone got injured during construction of the UARP.

Access to Rockbound Valley, Rockbound Lake, Fox Lake, Rubicon Res and Onion Valley. was blocked off in 1968 or 1969.
Credit to Bob Starks for the map!

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 993
I cannt wait for summer! I just reread this article.

http://www.gerlecreek.com/documents/...rthsprings.htm

Might have to head up next month.
Id love to see some old photos of Jeeps at Rubicon Res, and Rockbound if they exist. Or even construction photos of the dams.

Last edited by bagman; 03-15-2009 at 09:07 PM.
bagman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #122 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
bump for this thread.. Just read the whole thing.. I too am always looking for cool things to hike too.. This weekend the boys and I will do some exploring.. thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 14629
Anyone visit the Robbs Peak fire lookout?

http://nhlr.org/Lookouts/each_lookou...ch_lookout=599

I just read about these lookouts in the AAA magazine. Some of them are rentable like the one above. Could be a cool place to stay for a weekend. There are a bunch of other ones throughout CA.
gddyap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #124 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
we'll be on the trail this w/e-- look for the scramblers and other long jeeps. CB 8 or 16 and of course the spider repeater!

mb

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #125 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
will do.. We will be running in from tahoe thursday morning .. black IFS runner with kayak on top, Big Red Fullsize Bronco with 47's, linked out runner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in