Law Enforcement in the Rubicon, version 2 - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 53626
Send a message via Yahoo to jtraver
removable Flaps

here is what we did for mine. Reciever mount easy to remove. Flaps are 18 x 24. I have an extra flap that is 24 x 36 if anyone wants to buy it.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->[/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIZE]
jtraver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #152 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3123
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Rich
That right there is damn sexy

not bagging on it, just fustrated by this whole thing
Thanks to our marketing partners: MAXXIS Tires, Trail Gear, NITTRO Gear and Axle, ARTEC Industries, Branik Motorsports, ASR Recovery Gear, SpiderTrax, Dirt Skins, Metal Cloak, Crown Automotive, SuperChips, PSC Steering, Fox Shocks, Axel Off Road, Currie Enterprises, PCI Race Radios
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKROVER
4 wheeling sure changes when there is a crowd and cones.
530-417-5333

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

( @ Y @ ) ( * Y * ) ( . Y . )

Big Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #153 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
If that's "a lot of words with little clarification" for you, I guess you'll have to do your own research. Please don't post "spirit of the law" sunshine and puppy dogs answers though, post information.

I agree 100%

FYI, the section with measurements and angles is HPM 82.6 Section 4 Paragraph a, and per that docment, applies to commercial vehicles only. That's solid information straight from their manual.

My pick-up has 3/4ton is considered commerical, so where does LEO Kenny stand on that, let me guess

I didn't get all these contacts in law enforcement by being disrespectful.

edt: BTW, feel free to quote me, but DO NOT misquote, please...your post contains a blatant mis-quotation.
Did I quote properly
Thanks to our marketing partners: MAXXIS Tires, Trail Gear, NITTRO Gear and Axle, ARTEC Industries, Branik Motorsports, ASR Recovery Gear, SpiderTrax, Dirt Skins, Metal Cloak, Crown Automotive, SuperChips, PSC Steering, Fox Shocks, Axel Off Road, Currie Enterprises, PCI Race Radios
Quote:
530-417-5333

Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 53626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rich View Post
That right there is damn sexy

not bagging on it, just fustrated by this whole thing
me too. They will be sexier when they get painted hot pink We made them for our snow run on MIT and did not see any LEO's at all on New Years day, they must have been nursing hang-overs

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Last edited by jtraver; 01-08-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #155 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtraver View Post
me too. They will be sexier when they get painted hot pink We made them for our snow run on MIT and did not see any LEO's at all on New Years day, they must have been nursing hang-overs

I'll bet he was cleaning his gun.......excuse me I mean his weapon.....oh never mind
Quote:
530-417-5333

Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 10770
Feis
Quote:
t. Law enforcement _________________________________
affected environment
the forest service is responsible for enforcing the code of federal regulations (cfrs) at 36
cfr 261 that applies to the enf. These cfrs cover a wide array of violations, ranging from very
minor infractions that occur in developed recreation sites, to road and trail use infractions, to
infractions concerned with disorderly conduct.

The forest service has several methods of enforcing compliance with the regulations applicable
to the enf. Forest protection officers (fpos) are the primary personnel involved in enforcing
regulation compliance. Forest service law enforcement officers (leos), or sheriff’s office
personnel, commonly handle more dangerous violations such as disorderly conduct.

The enf has approximately 25 fpos who can write warnings and citations as necessary to solicit
compliance. The enf also has five assigned field leo positions, plus one le
supervisor/program manager.

Fpos typically handle the most common violations. These include violations such as parking
improperly, failure to pay fees, pets off of a leash, length of stay, improper motor vehicle use, and
camping related offenses. In most cases, the public complies with the fpos and no citation is
issued. Fpos are also typically responsible for installing and maintaining signs, information
boards, barriers and physical closures, and providing information about rules and regulations.
Many fpos work seasonally, primarily during the summer, high use season.

The enf leos typically issue warnings and citations for all of the above violations as well as for
operating a motor vehicle in violation of federal regulations and california vehicle code. Leos
investigate and cite for cases of damaging or disturbing soils, vegetation, or wildlife. Leos also
commonly address cases of disorderly or unruly behavior of groups. A small number of violations
refer to nonpayment of fees, parking violations, misuse of trails, and recreation site occupancy
violations. Approximately 20% of a leos time is related to enforcement associated with motor
vehicle use and travel management

Public Lands For the People
88bigvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 347
Misquoting is fun!

Quote:
Forest service law enforcement officers (leos), or sheriff’s office
personnel, commonly handle more dangerous violations such as disorderly mudflaps.
I slay me.

Wouldn't it be cool, though if only "...approximately 20% of a LEOs time is related to enforcement associated with motor vehicle use and travel management?"

Randii
- [B]VIRTUAL RALLY[/B] for the HAMMER TRAILS in JOHNSON VALLEY

- [B]VIRTUAL RALLY[/B] for TELLICO
and

- [B]KOH Pledge Drive:[/B] for
[/SIZE][/I]
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:
We made them for our snow run on MIT and did not see any LEO's at all on New Years day, they must have been nursing hang-overs
On MET, Iron Mountain Road, J.J Laudenslager is normally the LEO. You will not find a nicer person to work with. I have met with him a couple of times and highly respect this man.
We had three of the LEOs at our information stop on the 3rd (including officer Marcus). Some may like writting tickets more than others. it is our job to make sure we are as legal as is aprropriate.

Last edited by WLDWUN; 01-09-2009 at 12:00 AM.
WLDWUN is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 4083
Quote:
here is what we did for mine. Reciever mount easy to remove. Flaps are 18 x 24. I have an extra flap that is 24 x 36 if anyone wants to buy it.
Your plate is obstructed I think Kenny might not like that..
Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #160 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3123
Good Call, I think a drop hitch design will solve the problem
Quote:
530-417-5333

Old 01-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #161 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
I did something similar, Jack...they aren't pretty, but easy to remove and will keep me out of a ticket. Thanks for the input!

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #162 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
As I sit here, I have the Quadatrac 2008 "holiday" catalog in front of me.

On the cover, there is a jeep wheeling in the snow (no longer legit in Eldo Jan-Mar) and guess what it has in the back of it???

A CHRISTMAS TREE!!

(only a few will get that one)

Officer Marcus was cool to us and at least talked to us at the MIT info station the other weekend.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 53626
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post
Your plate is obstructed I think Kenny might not like that..
There are going to be 2 "plate" bolts added to the cross bar so I can move the plate to the flap mount. So that will fix that blocking problem.

[/SIZE]
Old 01-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Fair enough, sorry about the blah, blah, blah thing, if that is what you found disrespectful. I should have used "etc."
Sorry about that. I think I'm getting as frustrated as everyone else with all this. All good between us I hope.

By the way - I'm a dummy, I think I'm wrong. I just called the CHP and a sheriff. Got the same answers from both. They read the code and could not tell me about any inch requirement from ground. In OR, a cop specifically told me my flaps didn't reach low enough. Other states also have this law. For some reason, CA does not.

So it appears that a mud flap that's 14.5" wide and only 4" long is ok to cover a 44" tire that's 14.5" wide. ?? Doesn't make sense but according to the law - it would be legit. I think I'll try it out and see if I get a ticket...
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 347
Remember, the guy with the gun WRITES the ticket, but the guy in the robe gets to JUDGE it. If you're gonna go to the effort of making mudflaps, give it an honest effort, because if the judge thinks you're thumbing your nose at him, that can end poorly, as well.
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #166 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3123
Quote:
There are going to be 2 "plate" bolts added to the cross bar so I can move the plate to the flap mount. So that will fix that blocking problem.
Ok, but remember that the plate has to have a light
Quote:
530-417-5333

Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 53626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rich View Post
Ok, but remember that the plate has to have a light
I'll hang my mini mag light from it.

As far as how low do they need to be, I believe from what I've read it is center of the wheel. I went longer just to be safe

[/SIZE]
Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #168 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3123
Quote:
I'll hang my mini mag light from it.

I hope it's dot approved
Quote:
530-417-5333

Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #169 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Drive during the day and you do not need one. If you do have one it needs to be functional even in the daytime.

Go figure.
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013
ReElected RTF Director Dec 2017

cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #170 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Sorry about that. I think I'm getting as frustrated as everyone else with all this. All good between us I hope. .
Accepted, I'll shake on it the next time we meet.

Quote:
As far as how low do they need to be, I believe from what I've read it is center of the wheel. I went longer just to be safe
Part of this discussion...there is no law that defines size or length of flaps for non-commercial vehicles, but whatever you put on MUST "afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle". So putting a mud flap on that is only an inch or a few inches long, yet covers the tread width will probably get you a ticket. Jack, your approach certainly looks and sems reasonable to me. I hope Ken will see it that way.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 94
Send a message via ICQ to ROCKLIMO
Quote:
1) lic.plate blocked
2) no fender flares
3) toyota axles in a JEEP Ken should like that!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Back in the day (when I used to drive my junk on pavement) I would get tickets left and right even with big ol mud flaps hangin off the back, completely covering the rear of my tires and literally draggin' on the ground. The next day, I'd go to the police station and have the ticket signed off in the exact condition I received the ticket in the first place.

Last edited by Danger Ranger; 01-09-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Danger Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #173 (permalink)
WWDD?

Member # 12133
Send a message via AIM to Sluice Sally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
Back in the day (when I used to drive my junk on pavement) I would get tickets left and right even with big ol mud flaps hangin off the back, completely covering the rear of my tires and literally draggin' on the ground. The next day, I'd go to the police station and have the ticket signed off in the exact condition I received the ticket in the first place.
Eric says your junk was exceptionally obnoxious "back in the day". I remember the night I met you....at Pillsbury. I heard this "noise" coming down the road, and Eric said " you think it sounds obnoxious, wait til' you see it"
Attached Images

"Chicks Dig Band-Aids"

Last edited by Sluice Sally; 01-10-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Sluice Sally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #174 (permalink)
4x4 Consultant

Member # 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLIMO View Post
1) lic.plate blocked
2) no fender flares
3) toyota axles in a JEEP Ken should like that!
Stonger than you D35

Oh thats right you upgraded to a D44.............

Special Thanks to YUKON, BAJA DESIGNS.
UGET IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 91637
The Other Way

I tried to read all of this. And understand. I apologize if this is construed as not contributing. But I have wheeled the Rube since 01, and have a simple, self-indulgent question. Does the enforcement at hand extend to the Wentworth access point ?? I am within a smog check, some fees and some new lenses of DOT on pavement legality regardless. Thanks and good luck to all.
Lil Uzzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in