Stainless Steel Dave: Picture Project. - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #51 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
I've met Dave as well at Buck Island, he struck me as a fellow GPW enthusiast. Hell he might have seen my Flatty back in the 70's when my dad wheeled in on the 'Con, it's a little bit longer and bigger now.
FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckme52 View Post
hey Dave, I met you at the trail head this past summer.

Since you have been traveling the trail for some time now. Do you happen to remember my dad, Roy Prindle? From the Bay Area. He Ran the Jamboree From the 60s to the 80s.... White and gold cj5, Belmont Buster jeep club....

Hope to see you on the trail soon.

Cheers.
i don't recall meeting your father- back in the 80's there was 2 guys who ran together -rudy and dwight-a red cj5 and a white cj5 i think one of them ran a belmont buster club decal on their rig talked to them often when on the con. that was a long time ago. enjoyed talking to you at loon. was a pleasure meeting you in person and getting to check out your stretched flatty-i followed the build thread you did on pirate.i really like your rig and you did a nice job building it. see ya on a trail next summer!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFascist View Post
I've met Dave as well at Buck Island, he struck me as a fellow GPW enthusiast. Hell he might have seen my Flatty back in the 70's when my dad wheeled in on the 'Con, it's a little bit longer and bigger now.
yep-i remember talking to you as well and checking out your stretched flatty also! cool rig. after seeing your flatty and rockme52's flatty i might take my old orangy flatty that i retired after the shiney one got built and running and do a rebuild/stretch on it. anyways-back to some pics if tim has some spare time to scan and post up some more pics out of my jeepers jamboree book.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 23352
Dave & Curly,
Thank you so much for making these pics available for us!
DirtyFun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #55 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
More to come:)

More pics and articles to come from the book. Work's been nuts this week and I had to go wheeling this past weekend

I'll get back to it ASAP
Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 140621
Hmmmmm, this just gave me an idea, maybe good, mabe not so.
What about a book on the trail, lots of pictures, trail description etc.
vehicle requirements, links.
Benefit to RTF?
J.B.
jbxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #57 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
A little Georgetown......

This mornings read

Old 10-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbxx View Post
Hmmmmm, this just gave me an idea, maybe good, mabe not so.
What about a book on the trail, lots of pictures, trail description etc.
vehicle requirements, links.
Benefit to RTF?
J.B.
This is a great idea -- a publisher outside of RTF brought us the idea and I think everyone wanted to see it done, but when it came right down to pulling it all together, we couldn't make it a priority, with all the other attacks on the trail. We even identified a strong author candidate, but then we got blind-sided by the water board, and pulled together as part of an amazing team to defend against closure once again.

I really like the idea, JBXX, but as yet, the right concept/opportunity window hasn't been available. It is GREAT to see Dave/Tim's efforts in this thread, and next year, Steve Morris' son's archaelogical history of Rubicon Springs will publish, and I think that will show interest and hopefully help move RTF forward.

Back to the pictures,

Randii
Randy Burleson
Past President, Rubicon Trail Foundation
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 347
Great article... thanks for sharing big parts of a book I had heard of but never laid hands on. This will drive the price further up for the rare book that occasionally commands hundreds of bucks on E-bay, but it is still cool to see!

One question, though... the text says:
"Passing such colorful spots as ... Bisbee (Lake)." - Walt Drysdale '57
I'm a sponge for details about the Rubicon -- I love learning, and especially talking to the older fellas with many decades of jeepin' the Sierra... I know where Bixby Lake is (well, was), but the time frame for this article doesn't map well, nor does the location, since Jeepers Jamboree went in via Wentworth in the early years.

A pitcher of beverage at the next Rubicon Beer Session to whoever can show me where Lake Bisbee is. For an easier challenge but no beverage, tell me how far it is between lakes Bennet and Bugle.

Randii
Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 5482
Wow

What an awesome thread !!

Thanks

Mike Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just another guy on the Pirate4x4 board !
billyji is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 15043
the pics tim just put up are some of my favorites out of the book-another excellent choice of pics to share with everyone tim. the book is filled with early pics from the early jamborees and the work partys fixing the bridge at rubicon springs,pouring the concrete dance floor at the springs as well as the history of the " sid builts"(outhouses at the springs) tim deserves all the credit for this thread and a thank you again for all of the work you have done in order to share some trail history with everyone on pirate. the only thing i have done so far is supply tim with a book and some old pics i took of. our trips in the 70's and 80's. as long as there is interest in this thread tim will probably continue to share pics with everyone.one thing tim can count on - as a thank you for your time scanning/posting the pics so everyone here can enjoy them-when my time has come you will inheret (sp?) the jamboree book-i can't take it with me and i know it will be in good hands in its new home at tim's house
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #62 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Sid S Mainwaring

This morning's edition:

Those of you that have been fortunate enough to travel past the "Little Sluice Box" May have seen "Sid's Grave".

Here's a little background.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 2931
dear ole dave, my adopted father when im on the trail he has saved my ass and tommy mossbergs more times than i can count!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Booger Weldz; 11-03-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Booger Weldz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #64 (permalink)
4x4 Consultant

Member # 227
I originally met Dave with my Dad when I was on leave from the Army. Have been freinds ever since and wheeled many a times..........

Hope to do it again soon!
UGET IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 12263
Great post and a great guy! Dave helped my buddy drill out and fix his high steer and the first FOTR work day this year. Dave made my buddys day.

Member: Friends Of The Rubicon,Cal 4--wheel clubs Asso.,Blue Ribbion coalition, Motherload Rockcrawlers
rockwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #66 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
One question, though... the text says:
"Passing such colorful spots as ... Bisbee (Lake)." - Walt Drysdale '57
I'm a sponge for details about the Rubicon -- I love learning, and especially talking to the older fellas with many decades of jeepin' the Sierra... I know where Bixby Lake is (well, was),
I have been going over maps looking for it.

I found "Bixby" listed as "Bigsby" Lake on a 1937 map I found... but yeah, they didn't go that way.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #67 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
I have been going over maps looking for it.

I found "Bixby" listed as "Bigsby" Lake on a 1937 map I found... but yeah, they didn't go that way.
I've heard it called both Bisbee and Bixby, but never Bigsby...for those who don't know where it is/was, it's now under Loon (I'll see you at RBS for my ). In 1957 it would have still been there, I think, right?...Loon wasn't rebuilt and the water level raised until the 1960's.

Just talked to Rich Daniels on the phone...he says that in 1957 the Jamboree went through Wentworth, and didn't start going through Loon until the seventies. His first Jamboree was 1956.

Last edited by resqme; 11-04-2009 at 12:55 PM.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #68 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
Here's the map from 1937.

hand-drawn so I could see where it could be an error:

Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #69 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Cool map!
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz View Post
dear ole dave, my adopted father when im on the trail he has saved my ass and tommy mossbergs more times than i can count!!
always enjoyed wheeling with you paul-but i thought oops was your 1st adopted father and i am supposed to be a surrogate father when he is to busy to accompany you on a trail run!!!! missed wheeling with you this year paul. next summer for sure........
Old 11-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGET IT View Post
I originally met Dave with my Dad when I was on leave from the Army. Have been freinds ever since and wheeled many a times..........

Hope to do it again soon!
it was good seeing you at the little sluice work party weekend kevin. great group of people to spend the weekend with! hope to spend some time with you next year at a clean-up/work party.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwrangler View Post
Great post and a great guy! Dave helped my buddy drill out and fix his high steer and the first FOTR work day this year. Dave made my buddys day.
yep-i remember that morning-usually don't get that much grease / dirt on me before breakfast but he needed help. as i recall you,your friend,me,josh(rock sammy) and my friends eddie and ken who was riding with me all helped out to get him fixed so he could participate in the work partys that day. it was a good weekend for me-got to meet a lot of very cool people. see you next year at a work party/clean-up.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
Here's the map from 1937.

hand-drawn so I could see where it could be an error:

kurt and john and posting some really cool historical stuff about rubicon adding to the trail history stuff tim is posting up - thread is getting better as people share things they know about rubicon! don't be bashful-if anyone has some history/early trail pics/ etc. regarding the con please share it with everybody here!!! o.k. enough talking-back to the pics if tim has some spare time to post a few for everyone.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19510
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
I've heard it called both Bisbee and Bixby, but never Bigsby...for those who don't know where it is/was, it's now under Loon (I'll see you at RBS for my ). In 1957 it would have still been there, I think, right?...Loon wasn't rebuilt and the water level raised until the 1960's.

Just talked to Rich Daniels on the phone...he says that in 1957 the Jamboree went through Wentworth, and didn't start going through Loon until the seventies. His first Jamboree was 1956.
could you explain this stuff about loon and the lakes that seem to have surounded it......loon was rebuilt? from what?

I NEED TO KNOW!

i love stuff like this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
530-268-9494

tlca# 12281
semi_budget 1ton build

linking the rear

rockthedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthedog View Post
could you explain this stuff about loon and the lakes that seem to have surounded it......loon was rebuilt? from what?
Earliest maps show four lakes: Loon, Pleasant, Mary, and Bixby. Those merged into two lakes (Loon and Pleasant) and then finally into one: Loon Lake. I have a timeline I put together for another project...

California Water Company (CWC) built a series of dams at Gerle Creek, some of which eventually raised the level of Loon Lake so that it at least partially inundated Mary and Bixby Lakes:
* 1874: CWC built a 'trial' 9-foot high log dam at Gerle Creek (http://www.gerlecreek.com/documents/gerlecreek.htm)
* ????: CWC replaced trial dam with a 20' tall log dam
* 1881-1882: CWC used Chinese labor to rebuild log dam with hand-quarried granite blocks and earthen fill
There were some miscellaneous raisings, repairs, and flashboardings in between, but I think those were the major dates for pre-SMUD dam efforts. Pleasant and Bixby were dammed in this time range, and their impound was allowed to flow into Loon. There's some disagreement in the old maps between what is Quail Lake and what is Mary's Lake, but I like this one best (map linked to www.GerleCreek.com):

Sacramento Municipal Utility Department (SMUD) came in big in the early 1900s, and raised the level of Loon Lake so that it flooded into Pleasant Lake:
* 1957: Federal Power Commission licenses SMUD for UARP Gerle Dam at Loon Lake (http://hydrorelicensing.smud.org/project/proj_his.htm)
* 1962: SMUD dismantles old CWC dam (http://ca.water.usgs.gov/archive/wat.../11429500.html)
* 1963: Construction of the Loon Lake Dam, Auxiliary Dam, and Dike (http://hydrorelicensing.smud.org/docs/iip/iip_c.pdf )
- - also: construction of the Rubicon Dam, Auxiliary Dam, and Reservoir
- - also: construction of the Rubicon Rockbound Tunnel
- - also: construction of the Buck Island Dam and Auxiliary Dam
- - also: cConstruction of the Buck Island-Loon Lake Tunnel
* 1971: Construction of the Loon Lake Power Tunnel, Penstock, Powerhouse, Transmission Line, and Tailrace Tunnel (http://hydrorelicensing.smud.org/docs/iip/iip_c.pdf )

Much of this information is gleaned from http://www.gerlecreek.com/documents/gerlecreek.htm, which is a great source of history and maps (like the one Kurt posted) and a wonderful way to blow a few days of free-reading! Other bits of it come from the FERC 50-year hydro relicensing of the Upper American River Project (of which Loon and Buck Island Lakes are parts).

Great reading... and there are about ten other lakes within easy walking distance of the trail with great history!

Randii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in